Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Anyone got some good recommendations or links on this at all?

Cheers

the ability to change direction which consists of deceleration and acceleration which is attained through getting strong as well as mechanics

triphasic training is what you're after here (google it)...not the exact program from experience but its principles

Triphasic training is still fairly new so remains a little unproven over time.
He does reference a lot of reliable sources (Siff etc) and the principles appear quite sound, although I am not sure how a 2 week deload would carry over to a seasonal sport such as hockey or football? (Have only read cliffs - may be covered more in his book)
Will work for swimming, tennis etc where you typically will only need to peak for a period of 1 day to 2 weeks (in the case of a tennis major)
I also disagree that constantly aiming to improve maximal strength will eventually slow down an athlete (obviously at some point the gains will be minimal but I do not see any reason why you would stop training for this)

As for my experiences relating to the OP. Not so much tennis specific, but for ANY sport avoid any "functional" garbage. The only thing functional to any sport is to actual perform the sport. Beyond that you just wanted to build a base level of strength that will transfer over to you chosen sport
Train big multi joint compound movements for both maximal strength and explosive strength, then train smaller, "corrective" exercises to develop the muscles that you need.
In tennis there is a big focus on the hips (for both generating power in a stroke/shot and for lateral movement), the side abdominals (mainly for preventing back/hip injuries from the torque generated during shot making) and the upper muscles of the back (for both shot overhead shots and shoulder injury prevention)
I'm not completely sold on dedicating entire training sessions to speed/agility alone unless you're a professional athlete training multiple times a day but you can certainly incorporate cone drills etc into part of a dynamic warm up
As for the fitness/conditioning aspect, imo you can get this through your sports practice most times if you train at a high enough intensity otherwise you could add it onto the end of your strength training sessions.
To sum up, your training sessions could/should be broken up like this
1) general warm up including self massage with foam roller, pvc and lacrosse ball as well as any necessary mobility work
2) speed/agility drills
3) "power" movement - this will consist of multiple sets (6-12) of low reps (1-5) with a sub-maximal load (the % ranges from 25-85, but on average most people will be in the 60-70 range) and short rest periods (under 1 minute) and can include jumping and throwing as well as barbell movements
4) "strength" movement - for this you will work up to a top single at a 9.5/10 difficulty (or a weight you could probably death-grind out a second rep with) over 6-10 sets with up to 5 minutes rest between the last 3 sets
5) corrective/assistance exercises - you will pick 3-5 (and can superset them to save time) and do a "bodybuilding" set/rep scheme of 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps or 3-4 sets for time (45-90 seconds)
6) optional conditioning
The session should last around an hour (up to 90 minutes if you're stronger and need more sets to hit your weights) if you don't goof around.
If you still feel it is taking too long, or you are not conditioned enough to do the power and strength movements on the same day then you can split them over 2 days (on the day you just do the power movement you will have time to do more correct exercises or conditioning as these sets do not take as long as hitting the single)

I did triphasic from sep last yr to the middle of this yr using off and in season models...there no deloads at all but there are 3 phases where int decreases to allow for greater velocity because that's what sport requires the most but greater strength will allow for greater velocity potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Back