Analysis Fitness and Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what Denis thinks, he was always big on the weights and I mean the heavy weights not the vanity curl types. The other thing nowadays is players seem to be held back , I hear the term '' being conservative''a lot. I can tell you now the 90s team for example played with all sorts of injuries, today's players would probably be astonished.

• Banned
Wonder what Denis thinks, he was always big on the weights and I mean the heavy weights not the vanity curl types. The other thing nowadays is players seemed to be held back , I hear the conservative a lot. I can tell you now the 90s team for example played with all sorts of injuries, today's players would probably be astonished.

Denis would be having a fit watching this convoluted crap.

• Banned
Wonder what Denis thinks, he was always big on the weights and I mean the heavy weights not the vanity curl types. The other thing nowadays is players seemed to be held back , I hear the conservative a lot. I can tell you now the 90s team for example played with all sorts of injuries, today's players would probably be astonished.

They also used physicality & intimidation.

That's all gone now.

It's a joke.

We must be the worst in the comp comfortably in both categories.

Fitness is the big one.

How many times do you see the opposition just chip it from one defence to attack without us touching it.

While we get excited if we do it once in a match.

We’re not able to work hard with or without the ball for long enough.
Need to turn over a few players for this to change as our aerobic levels aren’t there.
Look to draft athletic types , that run all day.
Look at Langdon tonight - he can’t kick to save himself but he runs all day, gets in space and is a linkman.

I was thinking about this the other day when I watched football growing up late 70s , 80s and then 90s I became accustomed to the game being played a certain way. My Dad stopped going probably late 80's although still followed us but rarely attended. Now even with all our success in the 90s he didn't start going regularly just watched on the tv and I believe a major reason was the game was not anywhere like he was used to when he was growing up . I am just wondering is the same thing happening to many of us , as the game is certainly a lot different to what I grew up with.

Dumont has worked hard on his fitness and is still slow .

Wood is fit , just can’t play at an elite level . We saw yesterday Anderson handball 3 metres over a team mates head . I’d never seen that before watching or playing this game.
We played 5 talls and still have Brown to come back in.
Josh Walker looks fit and strong also makes Dumont look like a speedster .
The game like it or not is about run and carry , we lack the skill and footballers to do that .
* you could count on three fingers guys in our side above average over head .
Garner is one that’s a horrid trainer and I’m in better shape than him at 52 .
You’d think with all his injuries he’d try and give himself the best possible opportunity.
Kidding ourselves if we think the issue is fitness based .
It’s skill and speed based .

Fitness is the big one.

How many times do you see the opposition just chip it from one defence to attack without us touching it.

While we get excited if we do it once in a match.

We’re not able to work hard with or without the ball for long enough.
Need to turn over a few players for this to change as our aerobic levels aren’t there.
Look to draft athletic types , that run all day.
Look at Langdon tonight - he can’t kick to save himself but he runs all day, gets in space and is a linkman.
Your description of Langdon sounds like Sam Gibson

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It's a joke.
We must be the worst in the comp comfortably in both categories.

Gets back to leadership at a coaching and playing level.
The fact that it’s taken Luke Mcdonald 6 or 7 years to realise he wasn’t fit enough is a joke.

How quickly would he have been pulled up at a club with strong leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have faith that Brady will be a fantastic asset to the club but he has assumed cult-like status around here as the guy who will correct everything we've ever done wrong.
I worry about this also.
what years was Brady actually involved in the drafting at WC. .....be interesting to see what players he actually did draft.

A few months ago you said there wasn’t much difference between ours and Richmond’s talent level. It was all system you said if I’m not mistaken.
Delusional. We’re no good and we’ll be Bottom-4 for minimum 21’ & 22’.

A few months ago you said there wasn’t much difference between ours and Richmond’s talent level. It was all system you said if I’m not mistaken.

That will definitely be the case if this current s**t continues.

Do I think our current best 22 is bottom 4? Hell no.

Add Kyron and Cunners and take away half the team being underdone, and the strength area will look a bit better. Throw Maj or a more developed Xerri and that will add too. That doesn't address our collective lack of ability to play football.

I worry about this also.
what years was Brady actually involved in the drafting at WC. .....be interesting to see what players he actually did draft.

Indeed. Even then, WCE were and are hardly unstoppable and there are a number of factors that go into recruitment. I doubt Brady did it all over there, there was probably a small team of people extremely competent in their own right who fed him information.

Indeed. Even then, WCE were and are hardly unstoppable and there are a number of factors that go into recruitment. I doubt Brady did it all over there, there was probably a small team of people extremely competent in their own right who fed him information.

The WCE game plan and ours are a clear 1st compared to clear 18th.

Then there's player experience, physical maturity and skill.

Risk adverse training...It has been that way for over ten years and is justified in the name of injury prevention (which is a load of s**t)

We do very little explosive training, no heavy squats, no heavy deadlifts, no heavy pressing over the shoulders....and our running is all Micro managed, we get to a limit and aren’t allowed to push further due load management.

It’s a joke and it has been for over ten years.

Risk adverse training...It has been that way for over ten years and is justified in the name of injury prevention (which is a load of sh*t)

We do very little explosive training, no heavy squats, no heavy deadlifts, no heavy pressing over the shoulders....and our running is all Micro managed, we get to a limit and aren’t allowed to push further due load management.

It’s a joke and it has been for over ten years.

Here's a weird idea, how about we start favoring strength, kicking and man on man football?

It hasn't hurt West Coast.

If we're trying to be Richmond MKII with 14 gut running robots then it will take a minimum of 5 years.

It would seem that way, we've won 31 of out last 83 games. Tarrant turns 32 next season, Goldy 33, Higgins closing in on 34 by then.
We have currently brown & Cunners who are walk up starters, both while adding much needed value, also form part of our problem. Cunners don't make us quicker and Brown makes six talls.

Our rise will depend on the like of TT, W.Walker, Perez, Kyron, Bonar, Mahoney ( is slowish but knows his way around a footy oval.) Further development for Zurhaar, Taylor & Scott. 3 that clearly have the ability.

s**t after yesterday we may as well offer Garner a contract looked the most likely after halftime. We need to recruit footballers that actually get the ball , yesterday we had about ten who touched it about twice a quarter. WTF were they doing for the rest of the time- clapping?

yes some could do with a better commitment to training, but it isn't rife throughout the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back