Analysis Fitness and Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigger arms create greater whole body momentum when kicking through the ball?

Eh I wouldn’t say that, the only importance with the arms is ball drop and balance arm.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It does warrant a mention that Brisbane were coming of the bye while we were backing up a hard fought draw. Also, Brisbane have been the form team of the competition over the last nine rounds. When you take those into account and the fact that we’re a young, undermanned team, we may just be overplaying the fitness angle a tad… or not?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you have stats that show that we are a 'young' team compared to teams like Melbourne, Dogs and *?

'Undermanned' maybe given players that are coming back from injury but 'young' I'd like to see some evidence of that stat that people seem to throw around as if it's some indisputable fact.

Do you have stats that show that we are a 'young' team compared to teams like Melbourne, Dogs and *?

'Undermanned' maybe given players that are coming back from injury but 'young' I'd like to see some evidence of that stat that people seem to throw around as if it's some indisputable fact.
I wouldn't be looking at average age or games, but at the number of players with less than 40 odd games experience. I think we had 7? with under 25 on the weekend, and probably a fair few more under 60. Having Goldy, Jack, Taz, Cunners, Atley, et al bumps up the superficial stats a bit.

I wouldn't be looking at average age or games, but at the number of players with less than 40 odd games experience. I think we had 7? with under 25 on the weekend, and probably a fair few more under 60. Having Goldy, Jack, Taz, Cunners, Atley, et al bumps up the superficial stats a bit.
That is one way of looking at it.

The other is to say the average or median age is very important because having multiple players at 30 plus means they are closer to retirement - whereas other clubs with lower averages aren't facing the same issue.

We will have 5 players retire (inc Hall) in 2-3 years time - that is far more than other teams - that is a stat that is very important for a club thinking their window is 3-4 years away.

In addition we are playing a total of 2 players from the last 2 drafts in a supposedly full scale rebuild.

My bad. I should add in the previous quotes for context, and the bonus 80 IQ points :)

You are now delisted, not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is one way of looking at it.

The other is to say the average or median age is very important because having multiple players at 30 plus means they are closer to retirement - whereas other clubs with lower averages aren't facing the same issue.

We will have 5 players retire (inc Hall) in 2-3 years time - that is far more than other teams - that is a stat that is very important for a club thinking their window is 3-4 years away.

In addition we are playing a total of 2 players from the last 2 drafts in a supposedly full scale rebuild.
Fair enough, but we are playing many more from the last four drafts, with some really good kids having a taste or developing. I didn't think that 5 retiring in 2-3 years is far more than other teams, but I'll take your word for it.

Rather than looking at average age and the number of players potentially retiring in 2-3 years, we'd be looking at who might retire and whether we have a replacement or someone to grow into the role.

The only one we don't have a rock solid replacement for would be Goldy.
Cunners and Goldie are the 2 - Hall to some degree as well as we don't have anyone near playing that role - but when Goldie and Cunners are not in the centre bounce then it looks horrible for us. There is 5 goals plus against us if those 2 don't play.

Agree that Taz (Mckay/Corr); Atley (Bonar) and JZ (any decent defender) are readily replaceable.

Goldie turns 33 next week - playing fantastic footy though atm.

Rather than looking at average age and the number of players potentially retiring in 2-3 years, we'd be looking at who might retire and whether we have a replacement or someone to grow into the role.

The only one we don't have a rock solid replacement for would be Goldy.
Look at the premiership ruckmen from the last 10 years.

Nankervis…traded in from Sydney. 3 premiership medals!!
Lycett…mmm
Roughead…FMD
McEvoy…Traded from St Kilda. 2 premiership medals.
Hale…Traded for North!!
Bailey…ha ha ha
Mumford…traded from Geelong.

Finding a replacement shouldn’t be a concern.
Most overrated position on the field.

Lycett…mmm
Roughead…FMD
Hale…Traded for North!!
Bailey…ha ha ha

Funnily enough, I think that it is an underrated position when developing midfielders. I hope we are all correct in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett…mmm
Roughead…FMD
Hale…Traded for North!!
Bailey…ha ha ha

Sure you can find a ruckman anywhere but Goldie by himself is worth 5 goals more than each of those ruckman.

Replacing Goldie with a shite ruck like those guys puts us down a few goals compared to where we are now.

Sure you can find a ruckman anywhere but Goldie by himself is worth 5 goals more than each of those ruckman.

Replacing Goldie with a sh*te ruck like those guys puts us down a few goals compared to where we are now.
Worth 5 goals more? Get your hand off it.

I’d much prefer an elite midfielder and an ok ruckman ahead of an elite ruckman and ok midfielder.

Worth 5 goals more? Get your hand off it.

I’d much prefer an elite midfielder and an ok ruckman ahead of an elite ruckman and ok midfielder.
So true. Who was the last Premiership Ruck to be an All Australian? Cox? And who was the last All Australian Ruck to win the Premiership in the same year? Grundy, Gawn, Nic Nat, Goldy. None of them are Premiership Players. The value of a good Ruck has diminished in the last 15 to 20 years. :stern look

Last edited:
I was actually taking about size from a muscle POV......most of our blokes, bar a couple, have spaghetti arms. Time to hit the gym hard for most of em.

All good LB2S. I was barking up a different tree. I was actually replying to the original thread title. I hadn’t realised it was from last year. Doh! 🤣

🤣I don’t really have such strong feelings about this subject, to be honest. I wasn’t really expecting the Spanish Inquisition. I’m happy to slink away now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back