Health & Fitness Fitness/Sport Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone here had tennis elbow? I managed to “acquire” it somehow despite not playing since I was a kid. It ******* hurts and is pissing me off as I cant do much at the gym except for leg work.

Anyone here had tennis elbow? I managed to “acquire” it somehow despite not playing since I was a kid. It ******* hurts and is pissing me off as I cant do much at the gym except for leg work.
Yeah mate. Ultrasound guided cortisone injection worked for me after a shitload of physio that didn't work. I struggled for almost a year with it before getting it under control. That and some solid rest did the trick but it can be hard to get over I've heard.

Weight is going lower but not as quickly as was expected though

I’ll be going to monthly updates from now as it should look more substantial but I am well on track to hit my goal of getting to 90kg by Feb 1st
Are you training?

Yeah I've had it. I used to be a table tennis coach and was hitting balls up to 8 hrs a day at times. I also am a gardener and using a whipper snipper or hedge trimmer over 20 years has not helped. I stopped the TT training/playing and had a long break from golf and it helped a lot. It is still there but not debilitating. If I hover a golf iron an inch off the ground I still can feel it .

Something repetitive you are doing is causing it and a 6 month break will help a lot. I've also heard that acupuncture can be good although I never went down that path myself.

Yeah I've had it. I used to be a table tennis coach and was hitting balls up to 8 hrs a day at times. I also am a gardener and using a whipper snipper or hedge trimmer over 20 years has not helped. I stopped the TT training/playing and had a long break from golf and it helped a lot. It is still there but not debilitating. If I hover a golf iron an inch off the ground I still can feel it .

Something repetitive you are doing is causing it and a 6 month break will help a lot. I've also heard that acupuncture can be good although I never went down that path myself.
Anything with an overhand grip is bad apparently. Lateral dumbbell raises etc. The way that croasfitters jerk themselves around must put huge stress on their joints and tendons.

I worked on and off as a gardener in my earlier years holding mechanical hedging sheers extended is a shocking move for your elbow. I then became a window cleaner and also played a lot of hockey. I used to take a cage of balls down and would spend hours flicking them into the net from the top of the D. Definitely wear and tear for me but it was acatually a knock to it that brought mine on and the inflammation was more on the outer side. It was described as elbow tendinosis.

Getting off the tools/ not playing hockey and staying out of the gym plus the cortisone did the job for me but I could still feel it for about two years before it settled down. I also wore a guard that wraps around just below the elbow that pullls the tendon in which helped a lot. I hammer it in the gym now and it seems ok. That said, I am a bit older so am a bit more careful and have other issues like a dodgy shoulder and sciatica!

Anything with an overhand grip is bad apparently. Lateral dumbbell raises etc. The way that croasfitters jerk themselves around must put huge stress on their joints and tendons.

I worked on and off as a gardener in my earlier years holding mechanical hedging sheers extended is a shocking move for your elbow. I then became a window cleaner and also played a lot of hockey. I used to take a cage of balls down and would spend hours flicking them into the net from the top of the D. Definitely wear and tear for me but it was acatually a knock to it that brought mine on and the inflammation was more on the outer side. It was described as elbow tendinosis.

Getting off the tools/ not playing hockey and staying out of the gym plus the cortisone did the job for me but I could still feel it for about two years before it settled down. I also wore a guard that wraps around just below the elbow that pullls the tendon in which helped a lot. I hammer it in the gym now and it seems ok. That said, I am a bit older so am a bit more careful and have other issues like a dodgy shoulder and sciatica!
Yup getting older doesn't help. Started getting all these things at about 40. In my early 50s now and its plantar fasciitis in the foot. Sciatic nerve pain for me was caused by my crap golf swing and that break I took stopped it. Wish my foot would drop off atm.

Its interesting too that I used to play a heap of golf and practised probably 2 times a week at the range. I now have what they call a shallow swing (don't take big divots) and am known as a sweeper by pros if i get a lesson. I have no doubt that the impact of hitting balls off the mat was putting force through those elbows and over time my swing changed in some sort of self preservation compensation.

Yup getting older doesn't help. Started getting all these things at about 40. In my early 50s now and its plantar fasciitis in the foot. Sciatic nerve pain for me was caused by my crap golf swing and that break I took stopped it. Wish my foot would drop off atm.
I’ve just turned 40 but wish I had payed more attention to form, joint mobility, stretching, rolling etx when I was younger . I am at the Osteo/ Myo just about every week just to keep me moving and it is costing me a fortune!

I’ve just turned 40 but wish I had payed more attention to form, joint mobility, stretching, rolling etx when I was younger . I am at the Osteo/ Myo just about every week just to keep me moving and it is costing me a fortune!
I've hardly stepped into a physio in my life...at least the younger ones are taught much better nowadays. My kids are always on the rollers..icing..physio etc. It should have benefits later in life hopefully for them.

I've hardly stepped into a physio in my life...at least the younger ones are taught much better nowadays. My kids are always on the rollers..icing..physio etc. It should have benefits later in life hopefully for them.
Myofascial release is pretty important in helping prevent injuries and speeding up recovery.

In the 80's you would have seen the boys in the changerooms lighting up ciggies and sinking tins where as these days they are rolling and stretching with therabands before the game before before heading to ice baths and massage after the game. Things have changed a lot. My warm down used to be an ice cold can of VB!

On the advice of my Myotherapist, I went out and bought a small spikey ball and stand on it and roll it around my foot every night after work to help with myofascial release. It is awesome, my whole body relaxes... I'd recommend it to anyone who is on their feet a bit with work. It takes a few days before you really start to notice the difference but it works really well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've found a career in hospo (barista in particular) really shows itself in strength training, wrists shoulders a little rooted. I swear by acupuncture, everything just relaxes. Also finding my left knee is starting to complain on heavyish loads, and the only thing I can think of that's different from left to right leg is the clutch pedal, anyone else here who drives stick experience that??

It does.
But for most their bodies have adapted to it so they’re unlikely to run into any issues.

It does.
But for most their bodies have adapted to it so they’re unlikely to run into any issues.
I don’t know enough about it and I don’t want to get in a CrossFit v traditional lifting argument but I just don't like the look of kipping pull-ups.

I suspect that 30 odd years of keyboard/mouse activity hasn't helped. My mum had it when she was younger, from squash, and she also reckons acupuncture was what finally fixed it for her.

Anything grippy my physio told me, even kettlebell deadlifts hurt. Anything where I have to push is ok, bench press, strict press, even push-ups seem to be ok.

I've also got a brace that's similar to the one you showed, mine also has a bit above the elbow.

I don’t know enough about it and I don’t want to get in a CrossFit v traditional lifting argument but I just don't like the look of kipping pull-ups.

Not an issue for me, pull-ups are something I still can't do, kipping or otherwise
;)

My running capacity is really starting to come back to me quicker than I thought, already sticking to the middle of the pack after finishing in the bottom few in recent years.

I had a good tank a decade ago and if I stay injury free I might reach close to those levels in about a month, the loss of weight hasn’t effected my strength either as I’m still able to compete strongly and funny enough my contested marking was better tonight than it’s ever been.

id like to join the old man injury club...

age 41, sex male.

History - i've never broken a bone, never torn a muscle or even sprained anything which is pretty good for having played 300 or more footy games, plus tennis, golf, cricket and who knows what else. I put it down to a pretty long and languid type of gait and cat like evasive skills ;)

anyhow, in the past month or so I've had this knee thing that's really bothering me, id love to know what it is without going to see someone - hence im here to ask.

It mostly happens when I am walking, or am stood still and i change direction without totally lifting my foot off the ground, just that subtle twist that you take for granted. Originally it just felt a bit sticky inside and it would quickly stop me in my tracks. It would be a little sore for a few days after, with a slight feeling of it hyperextending backwards all the time. But it got worse this week, i turned and it really grumbled like it was going to lock up, then i felt a big pop and it released.

Does this sound cartledge? meniscus? or just old age pre arthritis?

currently its in a compression brace thing and feeling ok, but at any moment it can go again and i need to hope for that pop or else itll lock up

id like to join the old man injury club...

age 41, sex male.

History - i've never broken a bone, never torn a muscle or even sprained anything which is pretty good for having played 300 or more footy games, plus tennis, golf, cricket and who knows what else. I put it down to a pretty long and languid type of gait and cat like evasive skills ;)

anyhow, in the past month or so I've had this knee thing that's really bothering me, id love to know what it is without going to see someone - hence im here to ask.

It mostly happens when I am walking, or am stood still and i change direction without totally lifting my foot off the ground, just that subtle twist that you take for granted. Originally it just felt a bit sticky inside and it would quickly stop me in my tracks. It would be a little sore for a few days after, with a slight feeling of it hyperextending backwards all the time. But it got worse this week, i turned and it really grumbled like it was going to lock up, then i felt a big pop and it released.

Does this sound cartledge? meniscus? or just old age pre arthritis?

currently its in a compression brace thing and feeling ok, but at any moment it can go again and i need to hope for that pop or else itll lock up

sounds like gout

Remove this Banner Ad

Back