Health & Fitness Fitness/Sport Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My new vivo active arrives tomorrow!
I'm doing melb mara (first time), oxfam (first time) and around the bay in a day next year. A few tris too.
Good luck! Melb mara is so well run.

I have a Vivoactive 3 Music - love it!

RX? Yes, it’s bloody hard.

Not the original and no vest but after a two week fitness camp I'm happy with the progress I couldn't have done it 2 weeks ago.

Goal is to get to doing it RX. 54mins on a first attempt.

Wait....is that the Crossfit training, 1km run, 100 push ups, pull ups etc?

1 mile run
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
1 mile run

Joined a powerlifting gym today, so excited! Start my program on Monday. I managed to deadlift 90kg today (only 5kg off my pb) after not deadlifting properly for 10 months 😁 100kg is definitely reachable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Aeglos !

Got bench tonight :) 47.5kg 10 x 3, I think I'm going to die.

Squats were 65kg 5 x 8 and deads were 70kg 5 x 8 this week. Hoping the reps will get lower soon as high reps are evil haha.

I’ve struggled with my weight the last few years after being relatively fit I started getting bad hips from an old job that even put me out of footy for a year and I was contemplating never playing again. I got the itch to play again and did well on and off but the past 2 years I haven’t been able to complete a pre-season and despite winning a reserves R/U Best and Fairest in 2018 I still kept my growing habit of getting lazier and eating poorly and not caring about how big I was getting and I really struggled with my body and overall fitness this year.

Something clicked on the weekend and I’ve decided to improve my diet and get more active after work, my work is already active enough and workmates have lost weight working alone. So I’ve decided to cut all sugary drinks even coffee in the morning, I have mostly fruit for lunch and trying hard to avoid snacks. I’ve been really hungry every day but not so bad enough that I feel weak when working, I started Sunday night weighing myself which I weighed at 102.7 and tonight I’m at 101.3.

The main thing for me now is keeping motivation and not giving into temptation which has always been my problem. I hope with this trajectory I will be 95 by Xmas and down to 90 by the first of Feb and by that time hopefully less weight will improve my running and help with injury management and tightness.

Last edited:
I’ve struggled with my weight the last few years after being relatively fit I started getting bad hips from an old job that even put me out of footy for a year and I was contemplating never playing again. I got the itch to play again and did well on and off but the past 2 years I haven’t been able to complete a pre-season and despite winning a reserves R/U Best and Fairest in 2018 I still kept my growing habit of getting lazier and eating poorly and not caring about how big I was getting and I really struggled with my body and overall fitness this year.

Something clicked on the weekend and I’ve decided to improve my diet and get more active after work, my work is already active enough and workmates have lost weight working alone. So I’ve decided to cut all sugary drinks even coffee in the morning, I have mostly fruit for lunch and trying hard to avoid snacks. I’ve been really hungry every day but not so bad enough that I feel weak when working, I started Sunday night weighing myself which I weighed at 102.7 and tonight I’m at 101.3.

The main thing for me now is keeping motivation and not giving into temptation which has always been my problem. I hope with this trajectory I will be 95 by Xmas and down to 90 by the first of Feb and by that time hopefully less weight will improve my running and help with injury management and tightness.

Nothing wrong with coffee if you have it black/no sugar.

Also I recommend myfitnesspal. It’s really good for tracking cals and you would be surprised at how much you can eat and still be in deficit.

Do you have a cause for the hip issues? Just weakness that causes you to breakdown?

Also with the hunger, try eating high protein foods, I've found that's my thing they keep me full. I know personally for me you give me some fruit I'm hungry 30mins later I would have been better off not eating at all.

Best advice I can give is find foods that you enjoy but are also healthy. You can try and torment yourself by eating boiled chicken and vegetables but if it's not something you enjoy you aren't going to stick with it.
Think about trying to implement something you would be comfortable with for the rest of your life. Just be consistent.

Nothing wrong with coffee if you have it black/no sugar.

Also I recommend myfitnesspal. It’s really good for tracking cals and you would be surprised at how much you can eat and still be in deficit.
Was the first search option when I went into search, scary.

ive never tried coffee black but I’ll see how I do with it 👍

Do you have a cause for the hip issues? Just weakness that causes you to breakdown?

Also with the hunger, try eating high protein foods, I've found that's my thing they keep me full. I know personally for me you give me some fruit I'm hungry 30mins later I would have been better off not eating at all.

Best advice I can give is find foods that you enjoy but are also healthy. You can try and torment yourself by eating boiled chicken and vegetables but if it's not something you enjoy you aren't going to stick with it.
Think about trying to implement something you would be comfortable with for the rest of your life. Just be consistent.
The hip issue has dissolved a fair bit since I quit the job that caused it. I had a torn laberal.

Yeah fruit doesn’t fill me up at all, I was getting some tuna snack packs previously but they also had pasta which I should avoid.

my problem is my favourite foods are high in calories like pasta and rice dishes and I love stuff with milk/sugar like flavoured milk.

Was the first search option when I went into search, scary.

ive never tried coffee black but I’ll see how I do with it 👍

The hip issue has dissolved a fair bit since I quit the job that caused it. I had a torn laberal.

Yeah fruit doesn’t fill me up at all, I was getting some tuna snack packs previously but they also had pasta which I should avoid.

my problem is my favourite foods are high in calories like pasta and rice dishes and I love stuff with milk/sugar like flavoured milk.

Couple of suggestions,
If you are a carbs fan allow yourself one good pasta meal a week. Get the rest of your carbs from sweet potato and rice. Carbs aren't the devil people make them out to be, we just eat far too much.

If you are after a coffee substitute. Dandelion tea.

Try almond milk, low in calories and still hits that need of yours.

Grab some of those protein yogurts. Manageable calories, protein to keep you feeling full and also can be sweet which might fix your sweet cravings.

Remember sugar makes you more hungry so if you can limit your snacks to non sugary items you won't get that drive to eat more and more after just eating something. Snack on nuts or things higher in protein and fats.

With regards to your hips I havnt had great hips, mine have always been notoriously weak.
Two excercise I started and now love because they seem to have totally fixed my issues are Hip band ladders and clamshells with a band around my knees. Should be high up on a Google search. No one likes correctives they are boring as hell but do a set or two of those after a run and you will be golden.

Edit - oh and also just a mindset hack I've found helpful. If you want to lose weight don't pay too much attention to the number. Set yourself an athletic goal that you want to reach and train for that.
I've found that the number on the scales really shouldnt be the main goal it can hurt you if it starts showing what you don't want it to.
Focus on something you want to achieve athletically and focus on your training to get there.
The end result is accomplishing something that you didn't think you could do, and in the process you will change your body visually.

You can go into a training plan weighing 100kgs, train your ass off and feel a million bucks. But if the scale then says you weigh 96 because you dropped fat and put on muscle you are going to be let down, be discouraged and the changes won't last.
Focus on the activity and how you look in the mirror, who cares about the scale of you can run further lift more and look better than before?
The number should be secondary.

Last edited:
Couple of suggestions,
If you are a carbs fan allow yourself one good pasta meal a week. Get the rest of your carbs from sweet potato and rice. Carbs aren't the devil people make them out to be, we just eat far too much.

If you are after a coffee substitute. Dandelion tea.

Try almond milk, low in calories and still hits that need of yours.

Grab some of those protein yogurts. Manageable calories, protein to keep you feeling full and also can be sweet which might fix your sweet cravings.

Remember sugar makes you more hungry so if you can limit your snacks to non sugary items you won't get that drive to eat more and more after just eating something. Snack on nuts or things higher in protein and fats.

With regards to your hips I havnt had great hips, mine have always been notoriously weak.
Two excercise I started and now love because they seem to have totally fixed my issues are Hip band ladders and clamshells with a band around my knees. Should be high up on a Google search. No one likes correctives they are boring as hell but do a set or two of those after a run and you will be golden.

Edit - oh and also just a mindset hack I've found helpful. If you want to lose weight don't pay too much attention to the number. Set yourself an athletic goal that you want to reach and train for that.
I've found that the number on the scales really shouldnt be the main goal it can hurt you if it starts showing what you don't want it to.
Focus on something you want to achieve athletically and focus on your training to get there.
The end result is accomplishing something that you didn't think you could do, and in the process you will change your body visually.

You can go into a training plan weighing 100kgs, train your ass off and feel a million bucks. But if the scale then says you weigh 96 because you dropped fat and put on muscle you are going to be let down, be discouraged and the changes won't last.
Focus on the activity and how you look in the mirror, who cares about the scale of you can run further lift more and look better than before?
The number should be secondary.
Nuts I like but I always preferred them salted but there are certain nuts that have good flavour without it so I can go down that path.

Yeah I understand how puting on muscle will effect the weight and I’m prepared for that haha. The number is more for reassurance that I am improving and what I’m doing is working and I have a good understanding of what I’ll do physically and how that will effect my weight.

Gave the app a go DapperJong and got this, would be happy with this outcome haha

View attachment 792350

It’s possible!! But the app is a bit rudimentary in that you’d feel like s**t if you dropped 10kg in 5 weeks. Do you have a rough idea how many cals you should have?

I’m sedentary at work but I gym it. My cals, at 1800 make sure I’m in deficit. However if I start to feel reaaaaally fatigued I bump it to 2400 for a week or two. That’s over 5 meals. It’s actually a lot of food and I’m still shedding fat.

Try 2000 for a few weeks and see what happens I reckon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back