Fitness Supplements

Remove this Banner Ad

Bobby Giovanni

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2004
Bomber’s place
AFL Club
Geelong
I have recently been put on to Gakic from MuscleTech, and have to say it is unbelievably good. Personally, it has extended my workout, as it seems to reduce that lactic acid/fatigue feeling in my arms and legs, and I can push more weights.

As for statistics, over the last 4 weeks I have noticed that my ave HR for the session is higher by 10-15%, sessions are 20min+ longer and my calories burnt are about 20-30% up, but I am feeling less fatigued, and my recovery is a lot better. I have also dropped 4% body fat, and have added 5kg of additional muscle.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Or something similar? It absolutely blows Creatine out of the water.

I think if you took this in conjuction with Hydroxycut, even the tubbiest person could shave off kgs very, very quickly and with relative ease.

http://www.gakic.com/

Thanks for the input, Bobby. A lecturer of mine has mentioned that a lot of supplements aren't even close to what's on the label, so it's always good to hear from experience about what's on the market.

I take a lot of supplements.

Mulitvitamins
Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Whey Protein Isolate
Magnesium
Potassium
Melting Point
Sesamin
Xtend
NO Explode

Supplments aren't neccessary, other than probably multivitamins, fish oil and whey... but they certainly help.

Kenny_01 said:
I take a lot of supplements.

Mulitvitamins
Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Whey Protein Isolate
Magnesium
Potassium
Melting Point
Sesamin
Xtend
NO Explode

Supplments aren't neccessary, other than probably multivitamins, fish oil and whey... but they certainly help.

Supplement junkie :rolleyes: :p

I agree with you that multi, fish oil (or any other EFA product - for the vegans) and whey (with a good proportion of BCAAs) are the basics, though I'd be tempted add creatine (whatever form - CM, CEE etc.) to the list as well. Spend the rest on food.

BTW, where do you buy your supps from, Kenny? It's so hard to get any of the decent american brands here without having to pay a fair amount.

TheBigUnit said:

I agree with you that multi, fish oil (or any other EFA product - for the vegans) and whey (with a good proportion of BCAAs) are the basics, though I'd be tempted add creatine (whatever form - CM, CEE etc.) to the list as well. Spend the rest on food.

BTW, where do you buy your supps from, Kenny? It's so hard to get any of the decent american brands here without having to pay a fair amount.

Buy them from the US, they tend to work out still cheaper than that here. bodybuilding.com has pretty good prices.

I always laugh when people bag supplements (whey protein) as expensive and unnecessary, when it is actually far cheaper and used more easily by the body than buying steak etc to get ALL your protein needs.

TheBigUnit said:

I always order from bodybuilding.com.... intl express order. Ends up being so much cheaper.

Yeah, forgot to add creatine. Cheers.

philhawk said:
Do supplements really work, guys? I find myself solely taking protein shakes after workouts at the gym, but i've always pondered taking creatine to boost muscle development?

Creatine works pretty well. It has some potential side-effects (such as diarrhoea) but it works well for promoting muscle growth and speeding recovery from high intensity sessions.

philhawk said:
Do supplements really work, guys? I find myself solely taking protein shakes after workouts at the gym, but i've always pondered taking creatine to boost muscle development?

From my experience <ex Musashi staffer>, unless you're taking amino acids in their raw form you shouldn't expect any noticeable results/differences. The rest is basically good marketing.

Don't waste your money on bars, drinks etc. Only small traces of amino acids make it to the final product.

Supplements only aid and help you get you to your goal. They aren't going to do anything by themselves. Supplements are ineffective unless you have a good weight and cardio program, and most importantly, a good diet.

Kenny_01 said:
Supplements only aid and help you get you to your goal. They aren't going to do anything by themselves. Supplements are ineffective unless you have a good weight and cardio program, and most importantly, a good diet.

It's amazing how one can be so correct. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

philhawk said:

Unfortunately though, creatine doesn't work on about 30% of people, as these people generally would have optimum creatine levels being produced by their body. Try it, if it helps to break a plateau, it worked didn't it?

Why get it from the States when you can get perfectly good - at least as good if not better- supps here?
Time you add in the time and shipping costs, not to mention the chance of Customs/AQIS holding it which will most likey add additional costs and even seizing - legal or otherwise 'cause Customs at times are dumb, just as easy to order it from vitaminking.com.

Fire Storm said:
Why get it from the States when you can get perfectly good - at least as good if not better- supps here?
Time you add in the time and shipping costs, not to mention the chance of Customs/AQIS holding it which will most likey add additional costs and even seizing - legal or otherwise 'cause Customs at times are dumb, just as easy to order it from vitaminking.com.

Product range is limited and price is a lot cheaper ordering from bodybuilding.com. My orders arrive in 5-7 days and never has anything ever been held in customs.

Decided to bump an old thread rather than make a new one.

Ok so heres the deal. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I have a fairly solid program and I am just now starting to lift some half serious weight. I also do a 'boot camp' type training session twice a week with an ex air force trainer. I also play footy on saturday mornings. Its just a recreational game, so no training or anything.

I currently take Redbak creatine and Redbak Whey Protein Isolate. I wanted to buy some more supplements soon (e.g www.achievesupplements.com.au has a sale on till midnight tonight). Some people have started telling me about multivitamins, fish oil etc. Should I be taking this in addition to my creatine + whey? Any recommendations?

Also, what about these 'massive stack' type supplements? A guy from work just started taking this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cmi/mix.html and said it was pretty good. Its essentailly a creatine from what I gather, but with other stuff like taurine etc for increased energy.

Thanks in advance

IMO everyone should take multivitamin and fish oil, whether they're athletes/bodybuilders or not. The general health benefits both provide are so vast/numerous.

I don't buy into those hyped-up, 'bb.com style' supplements - not convenient in the long term and (generally) don't give you enough bang for your buck. I like to stick to things that are convenient long term and cost effective (give you 'bang for your buck'):

- Multivitamin/mineral and fish oil
- Whey protein
- ZMA
- Creatine

muscletech products are full of hype and sell off the back of guys like cutler using them, if you get to know anyone that works at a gnc close enough they tell you that.
the only supps' i take are
  • fish oil
  • flax seed oil
  • creatine 99.9% with grape juice
  • l-carnitine
  • glutamine
  • whey protein
  • multi vitamin
creatine 1/2 hour before workout, carnitine 1/2 hour before, whey and glutamine after. used to take tribulus tabs but they massively increase testosterone and tend to make you a bit agro.
creatine is awesome, have taken it for 4 years now and aside from the initial loading when you get bloating and diarrhoea, it is great for increasing energy during lifting.
i get my supplements from cell biology in keysborough. almost half the price of the brand name stuff without the packaging.

Thanks for the answers guys. I have bought a multivitamin from a reputable (probably overpriced) online supplement store.

Just a question, is both flaxseed and fish oil necessary? I thought they were basically the same thing, although I could be wrong.

Also, i-carnitine and glutamine, what do these essentially do from experience? I could read all the online articles in the world but these just tend to hype up the supplements so I would prefer to listen to someone with experience.

Cheers

Just a question, is both flaxseed and fish oil necessary? I thought they were basically the same thing, although I could be wrong.

You can take both (they both have benefits - fish oil a lot more). If forced to chose one only then I'd go with fish oil easily.

Fish oil contains the 2 most important omega-3 fatty acids - EPA and DHA - the stuff responsible for the anti-inflammatory/brain boosting/cardiovascular/body composition etc. benefits and the forms most readily used in the body - EPA/DHA are hard/expensive to get from food sources (unless you're prepared to buy and eat cold-water fish everyday).

Flaxseed oil only contains one essential omega-3 fatty acid (ALA) much easier to get from food sources i.e. walnuts, monounsaturated oils, flaxseeds (flaxseed oil contains the highest conc. of ALA) - however ALA is still essential and can be converted to the other two omega-3's EPA and DHA (however the process is very inefficient - around 5-25% covnversion rate).

http://www.supplementquality.com/efficacy/fishoil_flaxoil.html

muscletech products are full of hype and sell off the back of guys like cutler using them, if you get to know anyone that works at a gnc close enough they tell you that.
the only supps' i take are
  • fish oil
  • flax seed oil
  • creatine 99.9% with grape juice
  • l-carnitine
  • glutamine
  • whey protein
  • multi vitamin
creatine 1/2 hour before workout, carnitine 1/2 hour before, whey and glutamine after. used to take tribulus tabs but they massively increase testosterone and tend to make you a bit agro.
creatine is awesome, have taken it for 4 years now and aside from the initial loading when you get bloating and diarrhoea, it is great for increasing energy during lifting.
i get my supplements from cell biology in keysborough. almost half the price of the brand name stuff without the packaging.

a question about fish oil from an absolute novice on the product, when/how would you take that? interested because i do weights but also the general health benefits seem worthwhile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back