Fitzgibbon: ALP could split in the next 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

You could, for example, be a respecter of tradition, and see SSM as too radical a change in an institution that's lasted for thousands of years. Here's a non-bigoted speaker opposing SSM:

"On the issue of marriage I think the reality is there is a cultural, religious, historical view around that which we have to respect. The party’s position is very clear that this is an institution that is between a man and a woman.”

Guess who?

Plenty of people held similar views.
As I've said before, I actually prefer the bigots.

Did you miss the fact that idiots on a forum are not representative of reality?

Here's a quick litmus test - go call one of your colleagues racist. Then go call one of your other colleagues a racist term. See which one gets you the boot quicker.
Did I ever state that my comment was referring to the general populous? I qualified it to apply to the loonies in 'words don't hurt' camp. Not to mention, within the context of the posts preceding mine it was fairly clear who and what I was referring to. Others seemed to understand just fine, I'll spell things out more simply for you next time.

Your advised litmus test is far more idiotic than the majority of posts on here. With respect, I will not follow it.

Joel continuing to try and keep the worker central to the ALP, the L in Labor:

Labor frontbencher Joel Fitzgibbon has slammed the manufacturing workers union for forming an alliance with an ALP climate change group that he claims wants to rip out ovens, hotplates and heaters from Australian homes.

The AMWU’s incoming national secretary Steve Murphy unveiled an alliance with the Labor Environment Action Network (LEAN) over the weekend, despite manufacturing’s long reliance on coal and gas.

I align (unofficially) with the right of the party, but it's pretty clear we have a divide internally between the right (which is both unions and punters), the left wing unions, and the left wing progressives.

The three groups either need to find a way to get on the same page and accept their differences and compromise , or split and move on.

The tumeric latte (with oatmeal) inner city sorts despise the working class and those in the bush.

Hilarious.

The Greens as a party siphon support away from Labor. The people who would've traditionally been in the Labor party as part of Labor Left no longer join Labor, instead going to the Greens. Realistically, that is the long term affect the Greens has had on federal Labor; Labor is anemic, Labor is much closer to centre-right than centre-left, and Labor is wedged on two fronts.

The Greens policy objectives - outside of the environmental, the basis for their party's difference - are simply alternative visions of Labor policy when bereft of a Labor Right perspective. Their environmental mandate would certainly have butted heads with other within the Labor party, but would've had a good deal more effect if part of government than as it currently stands.

I think you've misunderstood what I meant. I blame them for existing, for exempting themselves from the Labor movement and from the Labor party. I blame them for the dilution of the Labor left and the rise of the Labor right. I blame them because of their inability to compromise, which has destroyed Labor's chances in a federal context for a decade or more.
I don't really understand the vote stealing argument in a preferential system. Labor don't need to chase votes from the Greens in the majority of electorates so it doesn't wedge in any substantive way that would keep them out of government. The only seats where Labor needs to worry about the Greens are Labor/Greens marginals which would support a Labor government in any case (as even if they voted Green the Greens would support Labor, although obviously want some concessions). That Labor care more about winning these seats and fighting the Greens than winning government is on them

I don't really understand the vote stealing argument in a preferential system. Labor don't need to chase votes from the Greens in the majority of electorates so it doesn't wedge in any substantive way that would keep them out of government. The only seats where Labor needs to worry about the Greens are Labor/Greens marginals which would support a Labor government in any case (as even if they voted Green the Greens would support Labor, although obviously want some concessions). That Labor care more about winning these seats and fighting the Greens than winning government is on them
If you look at the post you quoted, nowhere in it do I mention votes. I mean, that the policies and beliefs of the ALP are changed, shifted, because the people who would once have been ALP members are now Greens members, and this has lead to the Labor party becoming a centre-right party. Sure, you'll still get left wing leaders, but they have to keep the right of the party happy to maintain power.

Then you have the propaganda effect. The greens can criticise Labor for not being left wing enough, and the Libs can criticise Labor for not being right wing enough, and ditto for social issues. They get hit from both sides, and thus become unable to find a compromise, which is the point of their party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at the post you quoted, nowhere in it do I mention votes. I mean, that the policies and beliefs of the ALP are changed, shifted, because the people who would once have been ALP members are now Greens members, and this has lead to the Labor party becoming a centre-right party. Sure, you'll still get left wing leaders, but they have to keep the right of the party happy to maintain power.

Then you have the propaganda effect. The greens can criticise Labor for not being left wing enough, and the Libs can criticise Labor for not being right wing enough, and ditto for social issues. They get hit from both sides, and thus become unable to find a compromise, which is the point of their party.
So somehow the Greens are responsible for the Labor party both being more right wing than they would've been, but also wedging them from the left? Nobody who isn't a Labour/Greens voter actually listens to what the Greens have to say, so I don't really think the Greens criticising them for not being left wing enough has any impact electorally.

As for the Labor party being more right wing now, that's kind of their own problem. You could also argue that if the Greens are successful in getting 5 or so seats in inner cities around the place eventually they could be more successful at pushing a combined government policy leftward than they would be within the Labor party. Also the Greens don't have a lot of power. If you want to be a politician a career in the Labor party is going to appeal a hell of a lot more than one in the Greens. So I'm not really sure I buy that Labor would be so much more left leaning if the Greens didn't exist.

They may not literally despise them, but the unfortunate perception of The Greens is that they're a bunch of inner-city latte sippers.

An unfortunate irony given Bob Brown's own country roots.
What's wrong with latte sipping anyway? I do know a few Greens from the country. Regardless, I wonder why certain people from the country judge those from the cities for being unconcerned with their interests, when some country people are similarly unconcerned with city interests. Everyone is ultimately most concerned with the interests of their immediate surrounds.

If anything, the concern of the Greens for social welfare all over the nation would help more people outside their immediate environment than rural parties' concern for country issues first and foremost.

Regardless, I wonder why certain people from the country judge those from the cities for being unconcerned with their interests, when some country people are similarly unconcerned with city interests.
Yeah! And while we’re at it, I wonder why poor people judge rich people for being unconcerned with their interests, when poor people are so unconcerned with rich people’s interests.

I mean, you’re so right, it goes both ways. The unemployed really have no right to expect help on being lifted out of poverty until they’re on the streets campaigning for tax breaks on luxury cars.

Last edited:
What's wrong with latte sipping anyway? I do know a few Greens from the country. Regardless, I wonder why certain people from the country judge those from the cities for being unconcerned with their interests, when some country people are similarly unconcerned with city interests. Everyone is ultimately most concerned with the interests of their immediate surrounds.

If anything, the concern of the Greens for social welfare all over the nation would help more people outside their immediate environment than rural parties' concern for country issues first and foremost.

On paper, much of the Greens platform is OK, but their representatives (invariably inner-city) give rise to that whole stereotype.

Yeah! And while we’re at it, I wonder why poor people judge rich people for being unconcerned with their interests, when poor people are so unconcerned with rich people’s interests.

I mean, you’re so right, it goes both ways. The unemployed really have no right to expect help on being lifted out of poverty until they’re on the streets campaigning for tax breaks on luxury cars.
This is one of the silliest comparisons I've ever heard. Are you trying to say all urban people have it good in life and all rural people are suffering badly in financial terms?

This is one of the silliest comparisons I've ever heard. Are you trying to say all urban people have it good in life and all rural people are suffering badly in financial terms?
I’m saying it’s ******* stupid to pretend that two groups have the same level of mutual obligation when one is demonstrably more politically and economically marginalised than the other.

I’m saying it’s ******* stupid to pretend that two groups have the same level of mutual obligation when one is demonstrably more politically and economically marginalised than the other.
Right, so all the homeless people and urban poor simply don't exist? Or maybe climate change simply won't affect people in the country? Nor better access to affordable healthcare or education? Or a better level of welfare payments? Just urban-only issues, are they?

And they don't have the same level of mutual obligation, hence why rural people have more spent on them per capita than urban people, precisely because they are disadvantaged by the tyranny of distance. How that equates to politicians only caring about urban areas and not about the country is a mystery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back