Fitzgibbon: ALP could split in the next 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

This would be the time for a new Australian Workers Party to start up and gather momentum for the next election where the ALP has it's vote split and it doesn't really impact that much as preferences get them there anyway but it removes the ability for the LNP to position themselves as the worker/jobs party.

Fitzgibbon is a coward. If all policies were binned simply because some people were scared of the consequences, practically nothing would ever get done. Part of your job as a politician is to explain policies in a way that assuages people's fears and offers them certainty.

The idea that cutting emissions can only harm regional voters is ridiculous anyway. Where are they going to set up solar and wind farms, in the centre of Sydney? He could be pitching hard for renewable energy projects in his electorate, but he'd rather sulk.

What about his constituents, are they to be seen but not heard & fund the party that does not respect their views or value their contribution.

He's on the front page of the paper & you call him a sook for having a different view to your own.

Fitzgibbon is a coward. If all policies were binned simply because some people were scared of the consequences, practically nothing would ever get done. Part of your job as a politician is to explain policies in a way that assuages people's fears and offers them certainty.

The idea that cutting emissions can only harm regional voters is ridiculous anyway. Where are they going to set up solar and wind farms, in the centre of Sydney? He could be pitching hard for renewable energy projects in his electorate, but he'd rather sulk.
Unfortunately for Fitzgibbon, selling certainty is like selling snake oil because I doubt there's anybody stupid enough in the Hunter Valley to believe there's going to be life in the region after coal mining. Electorates like his will always be the losers in the transition away from fossil fuels, so let them sulk.

Dont find him impressive, what am I missing?
He is a brilliant financial and economic mind, if portfolios were handed out based on merit he would be Shadow Treasurer.

Also has a very canny and well-reasoned understanding of a huge breadth of social issues. He wrote a paper a few years ago analysing incarceration rates that was brilliant.

To top it off, he has a great understanding of Australian political history. His writings on the Deakinite settlement and Labor’s factional system are some of the most insightful I have read.

I think in 20 or 30 years he will be regarded as one of the ALP’s great visionaries. However I fear he’ll probably finish his career as a man before his time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Fitzgibbon, selling certainty is like selling snake oil because I doubt there's anybody stupid enough in the Hunter Valley to believe there's going to be life in the region after coal mining. Electorates like his will always be the losers in the transition away from fossil fuels, so let them sulk.
Anything is possible if a party wants to keep an electorate very badly. If Tony Abbott could offer Wilkie $1 billion for one hospital in the aftermath of one election, the Labor Party can promise as much to keep critical electorates.

Bloody Fitzgibbon has made it so everyone have to unite behind shitty Albo because of this weird attempt for a war (even though Joel does give the impression of being increasingly isolated).

Several sources in the room said Mr Albanese screamed at Mr Fitzgibbon in an at-times heated slanging match over his statements and accused him of undermining the party.

Shadow legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus intervened, calling Mr Fitzgibbon "a disgrace" while Mr Fitzgibbon told him to "shut up you idiot", three shadow ministers told this masthead.

Mr Albanese also told Mr Dreyfus to butt out of the discussion. "It was the most childish thing I have seen in all my time," one shadow minister said.

lol.

He is a brilliant financial and economic mind, if portfolios were handed out based on merit he would be Shadow Treasurer.

Also has a very canny and well-reasoned understanding of a huge breadth of social issues. He wrote a paper a few years ago analysing incarceration rates that was brilliant.

To top it off, he has a great understanding of Australian political history. His writings on the Deakinite settlement and Labor’s factional system are some of the most insightful I have read.

I think in 20 or 30 years he will be regarded as one of the ALP’s great visionaries. However I fear he’ll probably finish his career as a man before his time.

He has written some good books too that are both light reading yet strong on detail. The Luck of Politics is my favourite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Labor needs to pick up eight seats to form Government. There's 19 marginal Coalition seats.

Six of them are east Melbourne Liberal seats - traditional affluent Liberals with a social progressive streak. Three middle class suburban Sydney seats who would love infrastructure (two are at the city's fringe) and job plans for the city. Two northern quasi-rural Tasmanian seats with large town centres between them. One middle class seat in the southern fringe of Adelaide. Two seats in the northern suburban fringe of Brisbane. One in central Brisbane. One in the northern tip of Queensland. Two in inner Perth, one on Perth's eastern suburban fringe.

You get to 76 off the back of improved city infrastructure and jobs and a shift to a stronger environmental and green jobs policy than you do off propping up coal mining.

Er ... which of these seats were NOT available to be won by the Labor Party in last years election?

He needs to come to terms with the fact he's not gonna beat ALP management on this.

He's had since about 10pm on last election night to come to terms with it when new management swept in but he's stayed on the teat as long as he could.

* off Joel
Love
NSWCROW

Last edited:

& wear the political consequences as the ALP settings have Federally in the last couple of elections.

Look at Qld, Labor in the State election but rejected Federally.Think about it !
The voters know the difference in the Hunter.

One Nation won just over 21 percent of the primary vote in last year's Federal Election for his seat, while his vote went down by just over 14 percent. The Greens vote was below 7 percent.

Fitzgibbon: I need to win my seat so I'm solidifying my vote from the Hanson knuckle draggers. The only split in the ALP will be those like Fitzgibbon who split form the party for their own good. Mind you, does anyone think that Fitzgibbon will not vote along ALP lines if he is re-elected to Parliament?

It will be the LNP that will splinter, not the ALP because at least the ALP is moving with the times, that's why it's called a "movement" but the Morrison/Dutton/Fundamentalist faction of the Liberal Party are focussed on going backwards, the IPA lot who have boots in both the MDF faction and the hard right faction don't want the Christian lunatics spoiling "business as usual", the small "l" Liberals (few as they are) will try and claim the center and the National Party will be wasted by the Fishers and shooters as well as the more progressive, non-flat earth farming communities.

The only ones getting excited about Fitzgibbon are the usual suspects from the Murdoch/9News cabal.

That's one way to ignore the valid points Bandt raised about the disputes in the Labor party, good on you.

The Greens did garner 10% of first preference votes in the house at the last election (nationally).

The National party only got 5% of first preference votes (when you round up) yet ended up with 10 seats, oh the wonders of preferential voting. Maybe you should direct this advice towards the National Party, they could certainly do with increasing their primary vote.
What's also very interesting is that the Greens had their genesis from within the Labor Party. From the days of the extraordinary Jack Mundey and the Green Bans in the 70's to the "Save the Franklin" election in 1983 so if one talks about ALP splits, then the ALP has already split into the green faction which has managed to capture all sorts of people whose heart is in the right place but are exceptionally impractical in the way they seek to get to the correct outcomes, as well as those ALP voters who have got fed up with the ascendency of the right in the ALP.

What's also very interesting is that the Greens had their genesis from within the Labor Party. From the days of the extraordinary Jack Mundey and the Green Bans in the 70's to the "Save the Franklin" election in 1983 so if one talks about ALP splits, then the ALP has already split into the green faction which has managed to capture all sorts of people whose heart is in the right place but are exceptionally impractical in the way they seek to get to the correct outcomes, as well as those ALP voters who have got fed up with the ascendency of the right in the ALP.

Long bow the green bans of Jack Mundey to the Greens political arm. The Green environmental movement have had many successes & that wider success is well appreciated by many across the political spectrum. The problem for the political party is that long time supporters of the practical environment agenda share little in common with water melon approach, and that approach see many of the next generation divided over principle & the pragmatic approach of the ALP, not perfection but steps in the right (sic) direction.

The same problems has jumped out again on the other side:
'Canavan reignites Coalition energy wars

Nationals senator Matt Canavan has reignited the energy wars within the Coalition as he called on Scott Morrison to tear up its energy agreement with the NSW government and instead build a coal-fired power station in the Hunter Valley.

The Queensland senator lashed out at the Berejiklian government’s energy roadmap, which passed state parliament last week and encourages investment in low emissions energy to replace ageing coal-fired power stations.

Senator Canavan accused NSW of passing “radical legislation” without consulting the federal government.'
He said the policy undermined the Morrison government’s program to underwrite new energy projects, with gas projects being put on hold.

&

'Senator Canavan questioned why rural people would have to be kept up at night by “noisy wind farms just so guilt ridden inner-city people can sleep”.

The former resources minister said the government needed to tear up its $2bn energy agreement struck in January and instead built a new coal-fired power station in the Hunter Valley.

Partyroom sources say Senator Canavan was supported by Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce and Liberal MP Craig Kelly.'

Obviously there are plenty of the 'rusted on' not committed to their preferred partys views on this issue as much as some see it along party lines.

Fitzgibbon's words could describe any major party, i.e., that they 'struggle to be all things to all people'. It's not unique to the ALP.

Take the Liberal Party. They need to win votes from the capitalist class and votes from what they call 'working families'. The interests of one are not necessarily the interests of the other. MP's George Christensen and Peter Dutton dog whistle away to both the old and new right, representing 'patriotic' and conservative social values. But then, on the other hand, moderate candidates are wheeled out to win the cosmopolitan, socially liberal voters in Kooyong or Wentworth. Again, the interests of one are not the interests of the other. They need to win the votes of urban big business and represent the needs of country-folk (the latter being the primary function of their cuckold, the National Party).

My point is that any party that wants to govern in its own right has to win a mass of the population, and so will inevitably 'struggle to be all things to all people'. Contradictory values and divergent 'positions' follow. Such is the sum of the different factions that band together to increase reach and electability. Interestingly, it's always these contradictions—and factions—that are exposed when a party implodes. The Liberal Party's recent fratricide is the unsurpassable example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back