Autopsy Fitzmagic! vs the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Relax people. We have tried to play bruise free footy of late. IF Teams want to take us lightly, they have another thing coming. We will flick the switch!

They flicked in the last. They were smashing into Collingwood and got 3 goals up. Could see Collingwood starting to back off a little and they seemed intimidated. Then they flicked it off.

Loved fitzys goal.

Unfortunately Cyril also hurt his hammy in that same play. Not sure of severity but certain that he did something to it. This is from the inner sanctum too
Are you guessing?

He was out on the ground after the siren without ice or a limp and was in good spirits with everyone on the ground, even having a joke with Marley Williams.

An idiot called Gunstall555 was calling for the delisting of Burgoyne after the WCE loss - calling...for...the...delisting...of...burgoyne.

So to Mr Gunstall555 - I would like you to go and eat a dick. You can choose the shape size and colour but I hope you really enjoy chowing down on the member.
mate I didn't call for his delisting - I did say in one comment in a melt moment that games like that at the end of the year might see him line up at centrelink. Next morning when a bit more sober, realising the stupidity of my comments I went an deleted them all. I love Burgoyne and everything he has done for our club, including his 50m+ monster today against the pies.

I must admit, i had written off Whitecross, Nd i think Clarko may have too. Threw him in the seniors as a replacement and couldnt justify dropping him ever since. Absolute kudos to Whitey, fantastic effort.

If we get Omeara, the little i remember of him was not dissimilar from Treloar. And we are begging for a strong, powerful midfielder. Poor Lewy looks a touch slower. Would love to see Bruest have more influence in the middle, but he hasnt mastered that role like he has forward.

I'm trying to get my head around some calls on Sicily being dropped, it seriously beggers belief. If this kid in his first season as a senior footballer hasn't given you enough to run with and be excited about then you have lost me.

His mark and goal ( contested mark which he is top 15 in the league for) was immense. He is 21 lol

Mate you can't be critical of Hill and Langford but make an exemption for Sis bc of his age/goal/Mark. Burton's played only 4 games, is 19 y/o and made Sis look amateur. Was at the game. Saw no desperation or hunger from him. On form, he was a liability today. So many of Collingwood's forward entries were the result of a Sis clanger, etc. I'm typically not critical of players specifically but today was really bad from Sis.

Was at the game today. Really interested that for the last month we have struggled to kick 100 points. Today we have shoey back taking a key defender and allowing out junk kick into the forward line a contest.

We too often hand ball to someone under the pump. Amazing in traffic but we are pushing one too many handballs. This is making it harder to move the ball quickly to one on one contests up the ground.

Our mids at centre clearances are lazy. The set up allows for someone coming through the contest at speed either a free run or link hand ball. We're great attacking but our mids are not getting into defensive positions, create a contest and with pressure tie the ball over.

We seem to be a little fumbly at crucial times, just missing that one clean your to break the game ope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mate I didn't call for his delisting - I did say in one comment in a melt moment that games like that at the end of the year might see him line up at centrelink. Next morning when a bit more sober, realising the stupidity of my comments I went an deleted them all. I love Burgoyne and everything he has done for our club, including his 50m+ monster today against the pies.

Just remeber no Burgoyne no 2013 flag we are 2013 prelimiary finalists and that's that - no threepeat no talk of fourpeat nothing without what he's done - best clutch player in the comp and that's according to his team-mates.

Glad you removed those - he is a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its like he takes a while to find his mojo. His first qtr was horrible. But then his field kicking suddenly went up a notch. He was great at times. He will be a good player long term I reckon but yeah he can give you the shits sometimes

Sicily.

Should be a Very Good player in 12 Mths time, no question.

But has the opportunity to become a Legend and has three games in which to make an enduring impact.

I hope for all our sakes he nails it.

I haven't seen the game as I'm in Hong Kong on holidays, but I was checking the scores every 5 min during that final qrt
My heart was beating, my wife was angry I wasn't taking in the sights of The Peak in Central HK, and when I saw "final score" under 112-111 I let out a "yesssssssss, go Hawkers"

The local folk just don't get it! :p

Watch the third quarter. Excellent football that gave us a chance.
Yep, I decided to watch from the start and I really don't get the comments in the game day thread. Thought the 22 all played well today. It was finals like intensity and I'm happy we got that prep going in ton the bye than a 100 point bruise free thumping like our opponent in 2 weeks. The Wobbles were very efficient inside 50 which was what kept them in it.

Agree without of the sentiments in this thread and looking forward to the Pussies who have only played one game at the G in the last 3 months

Not sure how other posters feel but I have never been as conflicted about a player as I am about Sicily. On one hand he moves well, has a good set of hands and can kick clutch goals. On the other hand his defensive pressure is basically non existent and is so damn frustrating to watch! I feel like the club needs to play him a 2 hour tape of Cyril's run from behind tackles and Burgers crunching head on tackle down tackles and say this is the standard you need to aim for.

100% Agree.... He also needs an attitude adjustment ...think he will be a liability when the intensity goes up during the finals

burton will be elite when we get 30-50 games into him ;)

So happy for Fitzy

That final Collingwood goal from a mark should not have been paid because of the "unrealistic" attempt to mark off the ball. So what are the chances the AFL will make a statement declaring an incorrect decision was made, just like numerous others against us earlier this year? I guess pigs will fly too.

Nothing in the media (AFL website) about Jordan Bannister's controversial missed free kick to the Hawks in the last resulting in a goal :rolleyes:

#headf**ked

Yep, I decided to watch from the start and I really don't get the comments in the game day thread. Thought the 22 all played well today. It was finals like intensity and I'm happy we got that prep going in ton the bye than a 100 point bruise free thumping like our opponent in 2 weeks. The Wobbles were very efficient inside 50 which was what kept them in it.

Agree without of the sentiments in this thread and looking forward to the Pussies who have only played one game at the G in the last 3 months
I also didn't think we played that bad. Not sure if we made Collingwood look good or if Collingwood played a touch above themselves. They seemed to play like they had nothing to lose, and wouldn't keel over—like Melbourne or Richmond did.

A positive was that we were able to kick over 100pts. Schoenmakers and The Fitz made bombing it to the hotspot look a little more like taking a reasonable option. Really unlucky not to have kicked a couple more from those contests.

The worry from that game was centre clearances. Not sure what was going on there.

Love a hero who comes on after the result and bags supporters for being critical of the Hawk's performance...

I'm happy we won, probably closer to relief, TBH. However, that performance and many others like it this year was worthy of criticism. I'm right behind the boys for a 4peat, but doesn't stop me being critical of garbage when it's dished up. I didn't join this forum to hold hands and sing kum-bay-yah with my head up the rainbow unicorn's arrse. If you were impressed with that performance today then perhaps you should be the one to "piss off" and follow a club that wallows in mediocrity instead.

Someone pissed on your birthday cake as a kid, right? So now birthdays without hookers and an 8-ball are just ho hum, I mean what's regular happiness without screaming up and down that hill?

I've seen us be brilliant in the H & A in the 80's, destroy teams left and right, and then have our nuts punched in the biggest dance. It sucked so badly.
Also seen us be 'too old too slow' in the 80's, just do enough some weekends to get a win, be a little less confident come GF day but then create the most glorious of moments.

You don't get to taylor the ride mate, it's just the ride that you're on. If it's not going to make you happy, get off and pick a different ride. You will never, never never ever, be able to insist on what the trip will look like.
So look out the windows, take some pleasure from what you see, and marvel in the brown and gold tint that is living life through a HFC lens.

Last edited:
To be fair to him he probably weighs 80kg soaking wet so a solid pre season in the weights room will help as well.

Not sure size will help hiim much, it's more about application and fitness to push and accelerate when already tired....

He's not low to the ground with ferrari speed and change of direction, there are others on the team who's role this is, so criticism over forward pressure stuff seems a furphy to me.
Sicily averages 1.8 tackles per game this year.
Of our backmen, a certain Grant Birchall has averaged 1.2 tackles in 2016, Brand 1.3, Stratts 2.1, and Frawley 2.1
If it's forwards you want to compare to, then Shoey (won't use this year as he's been injured mostly) in a really good 2015 averaged 2.6.

For mine, the kid just doesn't re-set his feet well and plant and drive into the tackle, his momentum just carries him in a direction and he flails arms to latch on. It's a technique thing, surprised we haven't seen development in that area over the year with coaching...

But how about we focus on what he DOES bring to the team, just as we do for Birch, Duryea, Stratts, Shiela, etc...
They all have obvious weakness in some areas. Some don't tackle well, some don't accumulate much possession or kill you with their precise kicking.....but we appreciate what they CAN do.

The only reason forward pressure has been so important is because its become a lifeline to generate goals for this team.
And that says more about a weak midfield / on ball effort that generates very few thrusts to catch the opposition off guard, and give guys like Sicily and Gunston real opportunity.

I'd prefer we fix that area up first, before lining up our Half forwards for not generating enough pressure defense to win us games of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back