Fitzroy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it fairly biased or fair re the whole situation, in your opinion ;)

Well its the story from his point of veiw, but its well researched and I'd certainly take his word for things.

You have to remember he's a QC so hes not going to be making accusations he can't back up.

It shows some mistakes made by Fitzroy but ultimatly what the AFL did would have brought down much richer clubs than us.

A great read especially when he was in the know with all the going ons.
I wish The first one hundred years will be updated I have all the recent Fitzroy books but nothing compares to the detail of that book. Jim Mains recent book was good but had no substance to it great pics though.
What do others think

A great read especially when he was in the know with all the going ons.
I wish The first one hundred years will be updated I have all the recent Fitzroy books but nothing compares to the detail of that book. Jim Mains recent book was good but had no substance to it great pics though.
What do others think
You've summed it up pretty well.
Fitzroy- For The Love Of The Jumper by Chris Donald & Maroon & Blue by Adam Muyt are both good Fitzroy books too.

The Fitzroy website is reporting the publication of a new book "The Other Side of Smith Street" about the history of Fitzroy - Collingwood matches since the first one in 1892.

That's definitely one of the main things I miss about Fitzroy not being in the AFL. The Collingwood - Fitzroy games were must attend annual events for our Fitzroy supporting family. It's somewhat sad to think there will be no more of those.

The Fitzroy website is reporting the publication of a new book "The Other Side of Smith Street" about the history of Fitzroy - Collingwood matches since the first one in 1892.

That's definitely one of the main things I miss about Fitzroy not being in the AFL. The Collingwood - Fitzroy games were must attend annual events for our Fitzroy supporting family. It's somewhat sad to think there will be no more of those.

I'm going back there on the weekend to watch a relo play for the pies VFL team. It will be great to go back there and show my boys what it used to be like to go to the real footy.

Under instructions from Mrs. 3KZ, I just read my 8 mth old son Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins, Oh Dear! by Rod Campbell and we were working our way backwards through Roar of the Lions - Fitzroy Remembered by Garrie Hutchinson, Rick Lang and John Ross. Now while it is true that little 3KZ is clearly "gifted" (who's kid isn't), he can't quite read yet, which is why this book is a good one. The book is dominated by lots of action pictures and shots of memorabilia, but there is enough there to keep a reader happy. Some past players like Norm Brown, Bernie Quinlan and Paul Roos reminisce about their careers and there is a really good essay by Barry Dickens entitled "Mud and Guts: A Fitzroy Memoir." There is also a list of all who have played for Fitzroy, including prominent players those who played in the VFA (1884-1896). Finally there is a page on club records and a very comprehensive "Roll of Honour 1884-1996" that lists Captain, Coach, President, Best and Fairest, Win / Loss, Ladder Poistion and Leading Goal Kicker.

One for the kids, but enough for the adult Royboy or girl. I can imagine it coming in handy in a few years when Rupert does a Primary School project on "My AFL Side" and he throws his teacher a wrong 'un by doing Fitzroy!

Yeah I agree don't rate the roar of the lion book rushed out when we were kicked out of the league could have been heaps better as with Jim Main's boook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NEED HELP!!!

I have been offered the book titled "Fitzroy" by Jim Main but it is the limited Edition of about 200 that is leather bound and......*takes a deep breath*...released by the Brisbane Lions.

What is this book worth and what is a reasonable price to pay??? I believe they originally sold for $150.

never read it
and jim main tends to talk out of his a (what do they mean leather ?)
but 50- 70 if its in sort of unread condition
depends on how much u want it

like to see a book about the glory days
1900s or 1944sh teams - too many about 1996

1900s or 1944sh teams - too many about 1996

I only know of one book about the events of 1996. Dyson Hore-Lacy's "Fitzroy".

Great read by the way.

My Fitzroy Football Club book collection includes

• "Roar of the Lions" - Rick Lang, Garrie Hutchison and John Ross
  • "Fitzroy" - Jim Main
  • "One Hundred Seasons 1883-1983" - Fitzroy Football Club
  • "Fitzroy" - Dyson Hore-Lacy
  • "The Other Side of Smith Street" - Marc Fiddian
  • "Forever Fitzroy - A History of the Brunswick Street Oval" - Marc Fiddian
  • "Maroon and Blue" - Adam Muyt
  • "Paul Roos - Beyond 300" - Paul Roos
  • "Kevin Murray - Heart of the Lion" - Chris Donald
  • "Fitzroy - For the Love of the Jumper" - Chris Donald
  • "Taking Nothing for Granted" - Alistair Lynch and Peter Blucher

Great read by the way.

• "Fitzroy" - Jim Main

Agree Roylion, the only book that I know of recounting events of 96 is Dyson's book, which is my favourite by a mile.

The book in question is "Fitzroy" by Jim Main, I believe there was a 200 issue limited edition run bound in leather sponsored/run by Brisbane. I think I will give it a miss!!

Thanks to all for the info.:thumbsu:

Not keen on starting a thread just for a couple of quick question so maybe you good people with good Fitzroy reference books may be able to answer these ones for me please?

Who were the players that went to the Bears from Fitzroy for the Bears inaugural season?

Who were the Fitzroy players who retired at the end of the 1986 season and was there a specific player who retired rather than go to the Bears?

Cheers:thumbsu:.

Great read by the way.

• "Fitzroy" - Jim Main

I have them all except the new one (The Other Side of Smith Street), which I will be getting.

The only other one I have is "Hadyn Bunton" by Chris Donald.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back