Fitzroy circa 1996 versus this current day Carlton team

Who would win between Fitzroy 1996 v Carlton of today

• Fitzroy

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just wondering what the thoughts were of people regarding these 2 sides if they both played against each other in their respective forms.

In my opinion if both sides played against each other in their current day format, Fitzroy would win.

Disagree. I personally watched Fitzroy in 1996 on eighteen occasions. Carlton would win.

" players of today would win they're faster and have better tactics "

Use your head you flogs obviously he means that they play each other on an even playing field.

Captain ******* obvious here. I believe the Fitzroy players were better head to head.

Roy boys win.

Current day Carlton would smash them as current day Carlton is fitter and uses modern day tactics. Sure Carlton use those tactics badly but Fitzroy would still have no idea on how to counter them.
Carlton vs 2013 Melbourne would be a more apt comparison.

Carlton vs 2013 Melbourne would be a more apt comparison.

That's probably right - compare two sides who decided to cut deep and rebuild through the draft. 55,000 reasons why this thread is a cheap troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also ended up playing quite a bit of footy against Peter Doyle...crackin fella

Was he originally from the Cohuna Leitchville area ? If so, he was my student at Echuca Tech. mid 80's and I would have to agree whole heartedly with your assessment of him as a terrific bloke. I think he might have been drafted by Carlton initially IRRC.

Was he originally from the Cohuna Leitchville area ? If so, he was my student at Echuca Tech. mid 80's and I would have to agree whole heartedly with your assessment of him as a terrific bloke. I think he might have been drafted by Carlton initially IRRC

Yes I played against him when he was home at Cohuna. I didn't realise he had been at Fitzroy until he told me he played there with our coach at the time

Interesting

You believe pound for pound teams more talented then?
They played football back then, apart from a handful of games i don't know what they're playing this season. Today's players are more athletic, they are fitter, but they are nowhere near better footballers. Difference. I would tip Fitzroy 1996 against Richmond!

That Fitzroy team was worse, no real question for me - just the last remnants of a dying club.

Brad Boyd was their best player and he was a good honest player.

Chris Johnson, Jarrod Malloy and Matt Primus were talented but basically rookies.

That Fitzroy 96 team had some blokes who went on to have more than handy careers at other clubs. But most of those blokes were too young to make much of an impact.

They did also - admittedly - had a few who were never heard of again.

Back