Fitzroy Football Club (VAFA)

D30EAC33-83F9-4BD5-B091-90ECAF9DF021.jpeg

Great to see a thread on our board devoted to Fitzroy Football Club. We are currently sitting undefeated on top of the Ladder in VAFA Premier C Grade, having won our seventh straight game. If you are interested in Fitzroy, you should also check out The Over 50’s Clique Thread in the Den.

On top! An eight goal to one first quarter set up Fitzroy’s win over @TheCYsTweet - the margin remained seven goals at the end. 15.13.103 to 8.10.58. Woohoo. #topoftheladder #fitzroyfc #premierC #vafa @VAFA_HQ

27 PREMIERSHIPS

270 REGISTERED PLAYERS

135 YEARS AS A CLUB

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Yesterdays win reminded me of Fitzroy North Melbourne 1983. We were playing the top team and we thrashed them. I'm up in Canberra and so missed the game at the BSO and I will be at the airport and flying today when the Lions are playing. My son tells me there will not be a TV playing the match at the airport so this is why I reckon Brissie will break through for their first win of the season

3KZ put those photos on the Tramconductors facebook site
Hi Phil, I don’t have Facebook, I could never see the attraction. All the photos I will post in here are courtesy of the Fitzroy Twitter Page and our Website. If the Tramconductors want them, they are publicaly available. How are you going?

Yesterdays win reminded me of Fitzroy North Melbourne 1983. We were playing the top team and we thrashed them. I'm up in Canberra and so missed the game at the BSO and I will be at the airport and flying today when the Lions are playing. My son tells me there will not be a TV playing the match at the airport so this is why I reckon Brissie will break through for their first win of the season
Did you say Fitzroy v North Melbourne in 1983?

At this one, standing in front of the Blackie-Ironmonger Stand.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix

I still don't know how they could wear short shorts the short!

P.S. I would have been sitting in the back row of the Kevin Murray stand that day

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I quite like the idea of a Fitzroy thread on the main part of our board, after all they are an integral part of the Brisbane incarnation of the Lions.

Far more people tend to get involved in the discussion on the main Lions board and not the sub forums, gets a lot more people involved and aware of the Brisbane Lions links to our Fitzroy heritage.

I quite like the idea of a Fitzroy thread on the main part of our board, after all they are an integral part of the Brisbane incarnation of the Lions.

Far more people tend to get involved in the discussion on the main Lions board and not the sub forums, gets a lot more people involved and aware of the Brisbane Lions links to our Fitzroy heritage.
I agree. I didn’t start this thread, but I think it was a great idea to start it, thanks dlanod. Judging from the response so far it seems to be a bit of a hit and more importantly, it’s not hurting anyone. It isn’t denying anyone a voice, isn’t wasting paper or resources. If people don’t want it, it will simply slip off the front pages of our forum by itself.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we can do a bit better than that. Surely there is nothing wrong with celebrating our past and the Fitzroy component of our present on our board. Again, who is losing out here? I think it was a great move by dlanod to start this thread in my name, long overdue in fact.
Quite right, no harm. I didn’t realise the OP was a moved post. In the context of the OP being pretty much all there was for the thread, I thought it a bit a bit unworthy of its own thread.

It’s unfortunate that the Brisbane Lions are doing so poorly that we have to look to the VAFA to find celebration. Keeping in mind of course, that not all Lions fans are Fitzroy fans.

Quite right, no harm. I didn’t realise the OP was a moved post. In the context of the OP being pretty much all there was for the thread, I thought it a bit a bit unworthy of its own thread.

It’s unfortunate that the Brisbane Lions are doing so poorly that we have to look to the VAFA to find celebration. Keeping in mind of course, that not all Lions fans are Fitzroy fans.
Totally Skoob, but plenty are. I think we are in a fortunate position culturally because we can draw on three traditions, Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions. The club realises this with their Throwback Videos, which regularly feature Fitzroy but also through their support of Fitzroy in the VAFA by getting behind community days like the recent one at the Brunswick Street Oval. I have spent my 55 years surrounded by Fitzroy supporting family members and mates. We are a tough breed and we will hang tough through the bad times Brisbane are going through. When you go to a Brisbane Lions game in Melbourne almost the entire crowd of ‘away’ supporters is composed of Fitzroy people and their children. When Brisbane start to string the wins together again, it is going to be great to see and I can’t wait to be at Etihad or the MCG watching the Lions crush a Victorian club.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North

I was having a beer for every two goals we kicked that day. A mate came down from Horsham. We stopped at half time, drunk as skunks

Yeah, it was a spur of the moment thing. No one reads the first post once we're at page 2 anyway - just look at the Sydney is a pissweak club thread (or whatever the equivalent is for the VAFA).

Back