Fitzroy Juniors who went on to make it big

Remove this Banner Ad

Viv Michie used to play against my son Pete, who is next to me in my photo on all my posts

Pete played, for a few years, for Doncaster (playing in a Geelong jumper) the same team that Chris and Brad Scott played for as kids.

The Doncaster Cats played Fitzroy in a Grand Final at the Greythorn Oval and Fitzroy won in a close game. Doncaster kicked inaccurately but had far more of the play. Viv was given the 'Man of the Match' award but, this will sound like a proud father's comment, I thought Peter, a Fitzroy Tragic like myself, was best on Ground. A 14 to 1 disposal game cannot be argued with. No one on the field dominated his position to this extent. To Peter's credit he was more concerned about the behavior of some of the Doncaster supporters than the BOG award.

Because of the numbers that Fitzroy had Viv had to spend about a quarter sitting on the bench. He was treated like every other player in the Fitzroy team. Imagine that, Fitzroy Juniors would put Viv on the bench for a quarter. Now we weren't playing in the top level competition in the EDJL. This is what Junior Footy is all about

Pete's team folded, for lack of numbers so he went to Greythorn and was coached by Peter Dacios. I kid you not.

Pete's first junior game was at Greensborough and Peter Moore was coaching and umpiring the game before Pete's game. Isn't it great to see these blokes at ground roots?

Pete made his way into another grand final against Fitzroy.

I used to confuse all the Fitzroy parents by turning up in all my Fitzroy jumpers, beanies and scarves and then barracking for the opposition, especially as I would do the goal umpiring. My wife would warn the Greythorn parents that I was somewhat challenged when it came to Footy. The poor Fitzroy parents did not know what had hit them.

Anyway back to the Greythorn Grand Final against Fitzroy. Viv was tagged by a girl in the Second Semi, won by Fitzroy, but young Rock had the job in the Grand Final. Viv was not BOG, Greythorn won by 80 points, Pete played poorly but football was the winner.

Young Viv was a well behavior young fellow who appears not to have been affected by his fame. Pete and I always look him up and wish him all the best but not on Sunday when he lines up for Melbourne against Brisbane

I regularly enter Footy Art exhibitions. When he was about 14 years old, Viv Michie entered some of his pictures in one of the same exhibitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back