News Fitzroy launches women's team in VWFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Fitzroy has announced that it has formed a partnership with the Australian Catholic University (ACU) and together will be entering a team in the Victorian Women’s Football League, Division 4 for the 2015 season.

Not too many clubs have played in the VFA, VFL, AFL, VAFA and the VWFL throughout their history. In fact as far as I'm aware, our club is unique in this regard.

More details on Fitzroy's website.

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up on the Fitzroy women's side, we chat with Fitzroy FC President Joan Eddy on the [NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.] Podcast about how it got off the ground and what early playing numbers look like (after last week's meeting).

Remember to spread the word about the Fitzroy women's side among your friends, so they have enough numbers.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-to-launch-womens-league-in-2017-20150815-gizses.html

In consideration of the above article I'm pondering the logistics of a Fitzroy side in this league. I'm presuming the financial requirements will be too demanding. Nonetheless as the AFL would no doubt be providing incentives for clubs to participate could they go a little bit further to help a Fitzroy team return to national competition?

There will be a 'Lions' in the national women's league, but it will be Brisbane. This was flagged back in May by the head of AFL Queensland. Brisbane Lions to be the first women's side from Queensland, with Gold Coast to follow a few years down the track.

There will be a 'Lions' in the national women's league, but it will be Brisbane. This was flagged back in May by the head of AFL Queensland. Brisbane Lions to be the first women's side from Queensland, with Gold Coast to follow a few years down the track.

Thanks for the update.

Am I the only person who thinks the women's teams should have their own identities? Why should the Brisbane women's team be called the Lions? Why the Adelaide Crows women's team be called the crows (Ravens anyone).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only person who thinks the women's teams should have their own identities? Why should the Brisbane women's team be called the Lions? Why the Adelaide Crows women's team be called the crows (Ravens anyone).
Depends where you go:
- Many copy the mens identities
- Some play off the names with a female tint eg Darwin Buffalos and Buffettes.
- Some aren't actually associated with a mens team in the first place. Quebec AFL's womens teams are all separate place names.

But yes many copy and I tend to agree with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back