The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Is there any realistic chance of Fitzroy returning to the AFL? There is no doubt that the Bears absolutely got the biggest piece of the pie over Fitzroy that's for sure. I wasn't on earth when all of this took place so I would love to see Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy return to independent clubs. What do you guys think about this?

Is there any realistic chance of Fitzroy returning to the AFL? There is no doubt that the Bears absolutely got the biggest piece of the pie over Fitzroy that's for sure. I wasn't on earth when all of this took place so I would love to see Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy return to independent clubs. What do you guys think about this?
Victoria still has 10 AFL clubs as part of an 18 Club Comp which many are saying is too many already hence the talk of a St Kilda and Nth Melbourne merge or 1 club to make way for a Tassie team.
So an 11th Victorian based team just isn’t gonna happen.

I would like to see enough amalgamation so that we could have a season when every team plays every other team home and away

They are talking about having 4 day spacing between games as a possibility ... one of the things that was always an issue for playing all 17 teams home and away was having to keep it to 6+ days and that there was not time to recover between games if they were too close together ... maybe they will work something out.

As for Fitzroy - VFL could one day be an option but the AFL, as already mentioned, is already overly endowed with Victorian teams and unless the number of non-Vic teams got up to 11 and they wanted to add another Vic one in to keep the half share running they are not going to make it worse by restoring Fitzroy (not to mention the further mess it would make of the records)

I think the only realistic chance of a Fitzroy returning would be if for some reason the NEAFL collapsed (can't see it ever happening) and with the Lions needing some form of reserves team they placed their own team in the VFL and called it Fitzroy. Could even merge with/take over Coburg and keep the name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox Footy is replaying Fitzroy’s Elimination Final win over Essendon in 86 at 2am in their 50 greatest matches of all time series. This was ranked the 47th best ever game.
Spoiler - Conlan, did nothing much all day and then boom!

Fitzroy is still an independent club. If you're that keen you can go support the independent Fitzroy in the VAFA. There's no chance whatsoever of them returning to the AFL though.

I think the only realistic chance of a Fitzroy returning would be if for some reason the NEAFL collapsed (can't see it ever happening) and with the Lions needing some form of reserves team they placed their own team in the VFL and called it Fitzroy. Could even merge with/take over Coburg and keep the name.
I like this idea. But it won't happen, because the club would need to acquire or come to a new agreement with the continuing Fitzroy FC. And why would they pay money to do that, when they could just call the team Brisbane like they do with the AFL side?

Fitzroy is still an independent club. If you're that keen you can go support the independent Fitzroy in the VAFA. There's no chance whatsoever of them returning to the AFL though.
I always thought it was a shame that Fitzroy wasn't able to continue in a second-tier and semi-pro comp such as the VFL.

I always thought it was a shame that Fitzroy wasn't able to continue in a second-tier and semi-pro comp such as the VFL.

Yes and no with me, as I would always be worried about being in debt. I never want to see FFC fold. Also, being a powerhouse VAFA Premier division (Old A grade) team would be an amazing achievement IMO.

Fox Footy is replaying Fitzroy’s Elimination Final win over Essendon in 86 at 2am in their 50 greatest matches of all time series. This was ranked the 47th best ever game.
I was 12 and spent all day surrounded by Essendon ferals. Needless to say my dad was never prouder of me of the language coming out of my mouth, directed at said ferals, when Micky kicked it.

If there is a hub somewhere and home games mean less (or brisbane can't play at the gabba in games in oct/nov/dec) it would great to see a swans-lions game with a full commitment to a South Melbourne - Fitzroy revival game. Old guernseys, classic songs for the winners, pre match addresses about the spirit of old etc. Any chance?

If there is a hub somewhere and home games mean less (or brisbane can't play at the gabba in games in oct/nov/dec) it would great to see a swans-lions game with a full commitment to a South Melbourne - Fitzroy revival game. Old guernseys, classic songs for the winners, pre match addresses about the spirit of old etc. Any chance?
I’ve been saying for years that I’d love a Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans game played in Melbourne with both clubs wearing their respective Fitzroy and South Melbourne jumpers.

If we have to sell games to outside of Brisbane due to the unavailability of the Gabba, this is one game I’d love to be relocated to Melbourne.

I’ve been saying for years that I’d love a Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans game played in Melbourne with both clubs wearing their respective Fitzroy and South Melbourne jumpers.

If we have to sell games to outside of Brisbane due to the unavailability of the Gabba, this is one game I’d love to be relocated to Melbourne.
Somehow I don’t believe they’ll be selling the Brisbane games, especially if the AFL is funding the hub/s.

Would be great. I'd like there a crowd to be allowed though, so I can attend. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back