Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had no idea where to post this on the Fitzroy board (which I posted on 3KZ is Football over 50's thread on the Brisbane Lions board):

A poster from another club made a post on the Dayne Beams thread and the name reminded me of Billy Lokan.

Anyways did a quick Google search of Bill and found this interview with Bill on the Coodabeens from May this year (Bill comes in at about 1:05:30) - Link

Loved this era of the Roys and the names that played despite being a young fella...Lokan, Clayton, Pekin, Lawrie, Thornton, Dwyer, Keane, Harris, Reeves and then the bigger names such as Roos, Pert, Conlan, Quinlan, Osborne, Barwick, Rendell, Lynch etc. etc. and the list goes on.

Enjoy.:footy:

Had no idea where to post this on the Fitzroy board (which I posted on 3KZ is Football over 50's thread on the Brisbane Lions board):

A poster from another club made a post on the Dayne Beams thread and the name reminded me of Billy Lokan.

Anyways did a quick Google search of Bill and found this interview with Bill on the Coodabeens from May this year (Bill comes in at about 1:05:30) - Link

Loved this era of the Roys and the names that played despite being a young fella...Lokan, Clayton, Pekin, Lawrie, Thornton, Dwyer, Keane, Harris, Reeves and then the bigger names such as Roos, Pert, Conlan, Quinlan, Osborne, Barwick, Rendell, Lynch etc. etc. and the list goes on.

Billy Lokan was a champ. If he played at Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton or Hawthorn he would be a household name.

That list is why i took an interest in footy.

Apparently the producers of the first Kelly movie were wanting to show a scene in good old Fitzroy, but when they did the historical research the found that even Ned was afraid to walk down Brunswick Street!

Some good football there.

That match was the opening game of the season, and the Lions won by fourteen points, 21-15 (143) to 18-21 (129).

It was, however, to prove the only match they won until the thirteenth round when they had a shock win over Carlton, which would cost the Blues a finals berth for the only time between 1975 and 1988.

I wonder how the replay came to be available, unless more was expected of Fitzroy in 1977 after late-season improvement in 1976. After being 1—9 (with the only win by a single point) after ten rounds of 1976, the Lions went 6—6 in their last twelve games and could easily have beaten Hawthorn (who admittedly were sadly out of form) in Round 20 and Footscray (also out of form) in Round 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back