Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

That video is awesome. I was there for lots of them.
Have been marvelling at some of Bernie Quinlan highlight videos in recent weeks, inspired by 3KZ is Football. I was only a young fella at Bernie's height and the 86 season is the one I have vivid memories of even though I was going to games regularly from 83, although I don't have the recollection as I do of 85-86.

You older folks probably have a greater appreciation, but Bernie's height, skill etc. was insane. I honestly can't recall a player quite like him, perhaps Adam Goodes had similar characteristics, but even then, I don't reckon he was in Bernie's class.

Apologies for derailing the Mickey Conlan chat, my all time favourite Lion.

People just think of Quinlan as Superboot, which is understandable. They forget he won a Brownlow as a mobile tall Ruck Rover type. They forget how he could grab the ball out of a boundary throw in to kick a goal.
Incredible footballer, had all the skills. Not just the ability to kick it 65 out with a drop punt and kick a century in a season.

Have been marvelling at some of Bernie Quinlan highlight videos in recent weeks, inspired by 3KZ is Football. I was only a young fella at Bernie's height and the 86 season is the one I have vivid memories of even though I was going to games regularly from 83, although I don't have the recollection as I do of 85-86.

You older folks probably have a greater appreciation, but Bernie's height, skill etc. was insane. I honestly can't recall a player quite like him, perhaps Adam Goodes had similar characteristics, but even then, I don't reckon he was in Bernie's class.

Apologies for derailing the Mickey Conlan chat, my all time favourite Lion.
Gary Wilson rates Bernie Quinlan as better than Lance Franklin and Paul Roos compares him to Adam Goodes. I watched him play almost every one of his games at Fitzroy and he would pull a game to pieces in a quarter. He was the most amazing athlete and I rank him as equal with Gary Wilson as the greatest Fitzroy players I have ever seen play and that includes Kevin Murray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:

More on Bernie Quinlan - I rate this as the single greatest quarter by any player in a Qualifying Final.
Fagan should seriously play this to the current day Lions forwards.

Case in point, Quinlan's first goal of the last quarter, is no more than 30m on an angle, yet he kicks the ball as if he is 60m. He kicks straight through it well over the height of the goal posts and the ump barely moves. Such a beautiful exponent of kicking a ball. His second was more impressive, but again, he just kicks through it.

Having watched a fair few of Fitzroy's highlights in recent weeks, it is evident to me at least that no one is teaching / coaching the Lions players on correct techniques and I bet my life on it that no Lions players have been shown, yet alone watched the likes of Bernie Quinlan and old videos of how these champions kicked a ball and their technique.

Fagan should seriously play this to the current day Lions forwards.

Case in point, Quinlan's first goal of the last quarter, is no more than 30m on an angle, yet he kicks the ball as if he is 60m. He kicks straight through it well over the height of the goal posts and the ump barely moves. Such a beautiful exponent of kicking a ball. His second was more impressive, but again, he just kicks through it.

Having watched a fair few of Fitzroy's highlights in recent weeks, it is evident to me at least that no one is teaching / coaching the Lions players on correct techniques and I bet my life on it that no Lions players have been shown, yet alone watched the likes of Bernie Quinlan and old videos of how these champions kicked a ball and their technique.
Could not agree more. I would be getting Quinlan into the club ASAP - after a period of quarantine.

Could not agree more. I would be getting Quinlan into the club ASAP - after a period of quarantine.
Would it be fair to say that 83 was Fitzroy's best chance at a flag?

As I said a somewhere else a couple of days ago, I was quite young during the 83 season so my recollection of the season is poor at best and whilst 86 was a great year where we got close, I am sure most old time Fitzroy people rated the 83 season as the one that go away.

Last edited:
All the players seem to agree that 83 was the year. I think we were dark horses in 1979 and 1981 too, but we were stiff in the finals, especially in 1981.
It may have made no difference, who knows, but it does make you wonder if Fitzroy had been able to win say 2-3 premierships through that 79-86 era whether the clubs fortunes / viability would've been any different.

Nothing like a premiership to make thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of supporters to come out of the woodwork. You only need to look at those GF parades in 01-03 to see how many Lions fans there were out on the street; I'd argue more than Essendon and Collingwood fans in each respective year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back