Fitzroy's crappest player

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I remember watching Gary playing, I had just started following Fitzroy as a kid. One player that could be crappy and mercurial almost at the same time was Alex Ruskukalic, took some of the best marks I've seen.

Fat Pizza said:
Barry Suckling?

He owns National Builders Group!

What about Tommy Kavanagh - Son of Tiger?

He would kill them in the reserves and then get a game in the seniors and not get a kick!

Tim the Toolman said:
He owns National Builders Group!

What about Tommy Kavanagh - Son of Tiger?

He would kill them in the reserves and then get a game in the seniors and not get a kick!

Utter garbage. He'd kill them in the reserves, and then get a game in the seniors, and do fine, and then get dropped by shaw anyway.

Who was it he gave a bath one day, either McCarthy before we got him, or was it Carey?

here comes the Salsuti
plays lots of good footy
big with the young booty
wish I was like that​

This thread is a beauty!!! Ok here is my Top 10 Draft of Fitzroy's "Crappest" player's. I don't like that term, however I'll run with it.

1. Wayne Lamb - Has there ever been a worst player to grace a VFL/AFL ground ? The guy had no skills whatsoever. Very quick though.

2. Tony Spassopoulos - This "Boris Becker" look-a-like played 1 game against Sydney in 1985. Disappeared quickly off the scene. Can't remember who good or bad he actually was.

3. Dean Lupson - Luppy was a shocker. He was a rugged buggar though. I'll never forget a game in 1989 against Richmond at the "G" when Luppy & The Doc had matching "Bowl Cut" haircuts. It was hilarious!

4. Andrew Cavedon - Probably a very nice bloke, who should never have played for Bundoora, let alone Carlton & Fitzroy. He couldn't kick, couldn't mark, couldn't do anything really. He was very skinny too. He was the real "Scott Muller" of the footy world. Actually I think he is too low in this draft. I reckon he might go at 1 or 2.

5. Brad Davis - Another ruckman who we perservered with. The big No 10 just never showed anything. I cursed when I saw Davis & Dizzy Dave O'Connell line up against Stynes & O'Dwyer in Rd 2 1991. We were massacred by 131 points that day. Rendell & Ironmonger were in the Magoos that day too.

6. Brad Edwards - Yet another ruckman. No 10 too as well I think. The best thing this bloke did, was to take out Greg Healy & Dale Weightman in successive weeks of the pre-seasom comp. I remember a game in 1989 against Footscray at the Western Oval. We lost by a point. Edwards was played at CHF all day & he stuffed everything up! As I walked around the crowd, I bumped into Alastair Lynch. He had been dropped to the Magoos that day!!!

7. John Blair - Came from Sth Melbourne in 1978. Looked like a footballer, tough & solid, was just out of his depth.

8. Peter Brown - No 18, winger. Had pace, yet again was out of his depth.

9. Jamie Bond - Why did we pick him up from the Hawks in 1991. Played 1 game. Was one of the worst recruits.

10. Mick Dwyer - Fair dinkum!!! I had just arrived back in Australia from the U.S on draft day. My first question to my Fitzroy mate was, "who did we pick up" ? I nearly jumped back on the plane when he said Dwyer from St Kilda. 10 years at St Kilda, for 80 odd games. Had no pace, no skills & no hair.

Honourable mentions. Matthew "I don't want to play for Fitzroy" Bourke, Darren Holmes, Frank Bizzotto, Ashley Matthews & Nick Beardsley.

I think this thread is downright discraceful!!:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
As a long time Roy fan as a youngster until they were murdered by the AFL. FFC RIP!

Why not have a thread of the best we had!! How bout Roosy, Gary Pert, Alistar Lynch, Bernie Quinlan, Mick Conlan, Dougie Barwick, Ross Lyon, Chris Johnson, Dock Wieldon, Richard Osborne, Ron Alexander, Scott McIvor, John Blakey, Martin Pike, etc.. - we had some superstars!! & probably a HUGE factor to Brisbane winning 3 premierships on the trot, as they got to pick our clubs bones after we were murdered!

SOME ****ING RESPECT FOR OUR ROY BOYS! :confused:

jasongomightyswannies said:
I think this thread is downright discraceful!!:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
As a long time Roy fan as a youngster until they were murdered by the AFL. FFC RIP!

Why not have a thread of the best we had!! How bout Roosy, Gary Pert, Alistar Lynch, Bernie Quinlan, Mick Conlan, Dougie Barwick, Ross Lyon, Chris Johnson, Dock Wieldon, Richard Osborne, Ron Alexander, Scott McIvor, John Blakey, Martin Pike, etc.. - we had some superstars!! & probably a HUGE factor to Brisbane winning 3 premierships on the trot, as they got to pick our clubs bones after we were murdered!

SOME ****ING RESPECT FOR OUR ROY BOYS! :confused:

There's heaps of threads/posts on how grouse the Roys are. Everybody's just trying to leave no stone unturned! You've given me an idea for another thread.

Max George bloody useless
Kevin Taylor even more useless
Grant O'Riley say no more
Len Thompson even worse
John Frazer 9 in one game then went missing
Michael Coates only 'cause his old man was chair of selectors
Barry Suckling was that useless couldnt even drink beer his missus got upset when I said he couldn't play
David Rankin flew him in by helicopter from Hampden League played 9 useless games
Kevin Caton, nice guy but just thought it was a giggle
Larry Watson Bro of Tim say no more

I love the storey about Doug Nicholls. He transferred from Carlton to Fitzroy. Come the first practice match Doug, of aboriginal descent, was changing all by himself opposite the Fitzroy players pavillion at Brunswick street as he had to do a Carlton. Hayden Bunton saw what he was doing and summoned all the players and they walked over and joined him. Now that's class. Nothing to do with the thread but a good storey anyway, by the way Doug became govenor General of S.A.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry- Just joined- to get in on this thread.
Some very harsh critics.
But J Hogg deserves the accolades.
Missed a fresh airy one day from the goal line, was spewing.
Next minute there he is practising the fresh air shot.
Wow- its not a training drill??

I recall the story with a passion, where were you when you heard J Hogg was coming to Fitzroy.......

Anyway, Richmond were embarrassed at the trade ( think it was Jamie Elliot, Paul Broderick and someone else for the Richmond Capitan)
Do you know what they threw in......
NETS
NETS thats right...Nets that go at the Goal ends to stop the players jumping the fence when kicking for goal at training ( or home games if the papers are to be beleived.)
See its stories like that that make me wonder how we ever stopped functioning as a football club.

Can anyone tell me if the NETS were picked up By Brisbane in the merger- cause I'm sure they gave better value than the Richmond Capitan

Reginald Vincetorix said:
Sorry- Just joined- to get in on this thread.
Some very harsh critics.
But J Hogg deserves the accolades.
Missed a fresh airy one day from the goal line, was spewing.
Next minute there he is practising the fresh air shot.
Wow- its not a training drill??

I recall the story with a passion, where were you when you heard J Hogg was coming to Fitzroy.......

Anyway, Richmond were embarrassed at the trade ( think it was Jamie Elliot, Paul Broderick and someone else for the Richmond Capitan)
Do you know what they threw in......
NETS
NETS thats right...Nets that go at the Goal ends to stop the players jumping the fence when kicking for goal at training ( or home games if the papers are to be beleived.)
See its stories like that that make me wonder how we ever stopped functioning as a football club.

Can anyone tell me if the NETS were picked up By Brisbane in the merger- cause I'm sure they gave better value than the Richmond Capitan

Matthew Dundas might have been the other one. I reckon Ross Oakley must have cast a spell over Jeff Hogg before he got to us.

I've got a good one to add, Gavin Excell from Geelong in the mid 90s. Was a good forward at the cats. And was pathetic once he got to the Roys.

maroon and blue said:
Killer can you give us the teams?

Well,
the 64' team would be from the following players.
Someone with more resources might be able to sort and put them in postion

brian beers, colin bond,norm brown, graham calverley, graham campbell,
byran clements, russell crow, duncan stewart, wayne eastman, eric vinar, ray slocam, alan quafe,ralph rogerson, brian pert , kevin murray, max miers, kevin mitchell, john newnham, terry o'mara, barry fitzgerald, ron fry, graham goninon, john hayes, martin hepper, terry hirst, gary lazarus, edward lovett allan lynch , ian macrae, don mckenzie,colinn mcrae.

Levo said:
As said earlier the biggest dud was Brad Edwards bloody useless, and ended up at the Bears another one we had David Crutchfield school boy champion, played what one maybe two games, then went to Queensland and won the Grogan Medal for best in Qld.

if im not mistaken he also had a season at brissy, injured alistair lynch (was out for almost half the season as a result) in an intraclub practice game and that was was it for brad

Killer, I think the '96 side would have won comfortably. Difeerent era's and body types. For instance ruckmen in the 60's were a lot shorter, and players were heavier.

sdmlions12 said:
Matthew Dundas might have been the other one. I reckon Ross Oakley must have cast a spell over Jeff Hogg before he got to us.

It was actually Michael 'Butch' Gale. NARA Dundas just wanted out of the club and left on his own accord. I certainly had mixed emotions about that.

I met Alan "Butch" Gale once and what struck me was he was only about six foot tall, but he was also that wide. Huge hands, a power of a man and an absolute gentleman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back