Fitzroy's last game

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there that day, back in 1995 at the Western Oval
Western Oval is such a terrible ground. I walk through it on the way to a friend's sharehouse and I can never imagine the old terrace or anything. I can for Vic Park and Moorabbin, but this joint... it just seems dingy.

I thought Fitzroy was essentially the western bulldogs and was just a name change..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Not sure if serious but Footscray is the Western Bulldogs, the Kangaroos was Fitzroy.
I git mixed up, however the kangaroos were not fitzroy the kangaroos were the kangaroos.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Western Oval is such a terrible ground. I walk through it on the way to a friend's sharehouse and I can never imagine the old terrace or anything. I can for Vic Park and Moorabbin, but this joint... it just seems dingy.

My cousin tells of going to watch us play Footscray there and wondering why she was getting wet on a dry day...dirty bastards were slagging on our supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a Fitzroy FC museum/shop out in Mordialloc (of all places), I reckon that may be worth hitting up for some info. But agree wholeheartedly with the consensus of this discussion... the way that Fitzroy was removed from the competition was nothing short of an insult to those that bled for their jumper, and I hope no-one else has to go through that. I know that God forbid a similar fate should befall South Freo I'll be first up on the funeral pyre.

Anyone else that wasn't all that fussed that they got removed from the AFL?
The fact that our side of 1996 humiliated them that much on a day they should have lifted more than ever confirmed for me as to why they had to disappear

I really blame the WAFC on this. Should have waited and started a national comp from scratch and allowed the likes of Fitzroy to still be playing in the VFL.
Alway, can't go back in time. National comp should have started with 6-8 victorian teams and 6 non victorian team.

Here are my memories of Fitzroy's last ever game in the AFL:

- I was in my last year of high school, but still went over to Perth with a number of family members to watch the game. There was no prospect I was ever going to miss it.
- the week before was our last game in Melbourne against Richmond at the MCG. We got hammered by about 150 points in front of 50,000 (a gigantic crowd for Fitzroy at the time). When we ran on to the field it was only the second time I had ever cried at the football it was that emotional (the other time was watching what was basically a dying Teddy Whitten doing his final lap of honour before the Big V game in 1995).
- Personally my trip to Perth was a great time, despite the death of my football club. I guess we had been dying for so long that it was kind of sense of relief when it finally ended.
- Fremantle did a fantastic job acknowledging Fitzroy. They absolutely shamed the AFL.
- The game itself went pretty much as expected - I think we lost by about 70 points.
- I wasn't emotional at all until after the game - when the last post was played (from the top of the scorebored?) I lost it completely.
- After the game heaps of Fitzroy fans went back to some hotel in Perth (no idea what its name was - perhaps Ron Alexander was a part owner, although I may have just made that up).
- Anyway, the players were there, the fans and quite a number of ex-Fitzroy greats. I still have a picture of me and Bernie Quinlan outside that pub after Fitzroy's last ever game.
- The mood amongst the fans and the ex-players at the after-match function was largely incredibly positive. I think it was just a huge relief given we had battled so long and hard but we couldn't stop the inevitable.
- The players on the other hand were rightfully feeling very low. It was the last time they would ever play with each other again, and for most it was the end of their AFL careers.

Anyway, that match and Fitzroy last ever win against Freo earlier in the year are two stand-out memories I will carry with me forever.

As for my family and I - we got on board with Brisbane from the begining of the first merged season in 1997 and we were eventually paid back in spades by getting to see live 4 grand finals in a row including three straight premierships. It felt a lot like karma for all the struggling Fitzroy people that had not seen a premiership in 57 years (including my Grandma) and had watch their team die and (for some at least) watched it be reborn.

I really blame the WAFC on this. Should have waited and started a national comp from scratch and allowed the likes of Fitzroy to still be playing in the VFL.
Alway, can't go back in time. National comp should have started with 6-8 victorian teams and 6 non victorian team.

wasn't this tried prior to the current arrangement but the VFL wouldn't allow it.

also SA have you listened to the radio special that came out last year i think on this very topic?

It was the most eeriest game that I have ever been to, the Richmond debacle of the week before was the low point, followed by a semi euphoric goodbye at the end but this was different all together. The Roys having been well and truly rogered by Oakley and co and having had their carcass carved up in a dutch auction had to go to Perth to be cremated and many of us followed to watch the last rites.

The Freo fans were great, they were almost embarrassed to celebrate their team and silence occurred on more than one occasion and the final siren drew an eerie quiet that I have never heard before or since. The club was great and we got into the rooms with the players at the end and they had been through the ringer emotionally and the end was a relief for some but just brought more uncertainty for many.

I'll never forget it as long as I live and I'm always grateful to the way the Freo folk treated us.

I remember feeling incredibly sad for the Fitzroy faithful and you are right in that it was a day of very mixed emotions.

You can't give back what has been wrongfully taken. The best that could be done was to try and acknowledge the loss of a wonderful club, whilst having great empathy for their passionate supporters.

Although it's never enough, it's nice to know that the young Fremantle club were very respectful as the Roy's journey came to a close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back