Opinion Five Best & Worst Moments as a Carlton Fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst moment: sitting with a mate in the car park at the MCG prior to the 2001 round three clash with * and hearing Braddles, SOS and Kouta had withdrawn due to injury off a five day break. We were meeting up with my brother and another flog * supporter to watch the game, and knowing the verbal barrage that would be aimed our way, were seriously considering turning the car around and starting the 2 hour return journey home a little earlier than planned.

Best moment: still beating those arrogant flogs in a ripper come from behind win that caused plenty of * tears and some pretty loud singing of the best club song in the land with fellow supporters. Pity our * supporters had ‘gone to grab a beer’ when we hit the front with a few minutes left in the game ... and never returned ... so missed all the excitement. Luckily they still had “Name a Game” where you could ring up and order a video of the telecast be sent out.

My brother still won’t admit he received an early Christmas present that year.
Thanks for calling me a mate, it is appreciated always,
I top this one with the day Fev kicked the sealer against the same *flogs to break the clubs longest ever losing streak and the "G" crowd broke into the loudest version of the club song I have ever heard.

GOOD: As kids we would go to Carlton cemetary to visit nonno on Saturdays; we could hear the crowd at princes park and would always bug dad about going to watch. One day as we were going back to the car again; a footy comes flying out of princes park and i bolted to go get it, i missed out by about 5 metres to this other kid who was much closer. I was so disappointed that my dad said that we would go to watch next week. i rushed back home to see who kicked the ball (i think it was on abc those days) and it was Wayne Harmes; my dad told me he lived up the road. I would ride my bike everyday in front of his house to get a glimpse of the great man and one day i finally did.

BAD: The day Peter Motley was involved in a car crash that ended his career; he was my favourite player at the time and i was gutted for weeks.

GOOD: As kids we would go to Carlton cemetary to visit nonno on Saturdays; we could hear the crowd at princes park and would always bug dad about going to watch. One day as we were going back to the car again; a footy comes flying out of princes park and i bolted to go get it, i missed out by about 5 metres to this other kid who was much closer. I was so disappointed that my dad said that we would go to watch next week. i rushed back home to see who kicked the ball (i think it was on abc those days) and it was Wayne Harmes; my dad told me he lived up the road. I would ride my bike everyday in front of his house to get a glimpse of the great man and one day i finally did.

BAD: The day Peter Motley was involved in a car crash that ended his career; he was my favourite player at the time and i was gutted for weeks.
the motley incident was bad enough for all of us - must have carried an extra level of heartache if he was your favourite player.........

Over 50 years of watching the Blues I have been lucky enough to see 8 premierships in person so pretty hard to surpass those.

The good times well and truly outweigh the bad so there only a few moments I would change.

99 GF - we were definitely good enough to win, and should have. Also it would have made seeing any * supporter just timeless.

Kouta's knee - he was in imperious form in 2000, no one could get near. The scum* have had their fanboys rewrite history about the 2000 season but their supporters were scared sh1tless about what Kouta and Co would do to leading up to that game. We probably still would have won if Braddles had not had gone down as well.

Buzza going back home early - I truly believe if Bosustow had stayed with Carlton rather than go back to Perth we would have won at least another 2 flags in the 80s

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

Kouta doing the knee getting a lot of mentions. Cost us the flag that year I reckon. To this day he is the best player I have seen and I know Leigh Mathews made a similar comment somewhere.

In that golden run of games he could play anywhere and do anything like no other player in history.

Yep, I was at that game and have never forgotten it because we finally ended Essendon's 10 game winning streak against us. Harmes kicked 4 goals and played a brilliant game.

He did that in quite a lot of big important games didn't he Harmesy. He was one of those players who seemed like the mundanity of a season often affected his interest, but if he got the sniff of a bigger game, his juices started flowing.

He won't go down as one of our best players but will absolutely be remembered by those who were around as one of our very best big game players.

We had quite a few of those through that '68 to '82 era. Harmes, Crosswell and Fitzpatrick the classic examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t compete with many of the memories from those of you around here. But I would like to include an often forgotten game in my best moments:

LOl, i clicked on the link for a bit of a read and....yep....sure enough, D.Rhys-Jones reported for striking. Striking who you might ask?.....well, one R.Merrett from Essendon.

Rhys was a masochist lol. It was like he got off on picking the meanest barstad on the ground each week and giving him one.

Yep, I was at that game and have never forgotten it because we finally ended Essendon's 10 game winning streak against us. Harmes kicked 4 goals and played a brilliant game.

‘85 was the year Harry Madden came good.

Didn’t play in the first month. At one stage he was benched in the magoos.

From memory he had to take 10 marks to get a recall.....and took none.

We plonked him in the ones and off he went, at one stage he pulled 5 BOGs on the trot.

Was only a vote or two off Brad Hardie in the Brownlow.

Good times :

79 GF, my first live premiership.
The atmosphere was intoxicating.

Watching Bruce Doull read/control a game of football ... simply sublime player.

Watching The Dominator when it really mattered ... you just knew he would.

The current rebuild of basically the entire club.

Oh ... and 1 more thing i thoroughly enjoyed ...

21B404B9-1283-4A15-8597-E02E13B67174.jpeg

Worst (as a 20-something year old unable to remember any glory years):

1. rd 8 2015. After a pre-season of hype under Malthouse, again, we had sunk to 1-7 with thumpings from almost everyone we lost to. We had Friday night time slot again and we got embarassed by Geelong. Pretty sure Ed Curnow was crying with exhaustion and frustration after the game. Guthrie swapped jumpers with Judd which was nice. I remember changing the channel, watching something mindless, logging onto Bigfooty and the autopsy thread had about 3 posts over a 3-4 hour period. Nobody gave a * anymore. Malthouse was sacked soon after.

2. Bolton sacking this year. Nothing really to be said - I remember going to the Essendon game and just being bereft of any joy watching the club. Then when Bolts was sacked and the media were having a field day it just made things worse - but strange at the same time as we all knew it had to be done.

3. 2011 WCE Finals loss. Heartbreaking, made worse as I genuinely, to this day, think we could've given Geelong a serious scare that year. We were one of the only clubs to do so mid-year.

4. Judd doing his knee - he was sold a last-minute dream by Mick to play on and had a bit of zip about him (and a nice beard). When he busted it we all knew that was it for him. I'll always have a bit of respect for the Adelaide fans with the way they clapped him off

5. Ratts sacked. Confusing time as we all drunk the cool-aid the media fed us and agreed Ratts had to go (we all say on here we never wanted him gone but that's a lie, poor Ratts copped it from the fans). But I recall him coaching the final game and being firey in the press conference standing up for Walks. Knowing he had been completely shafted by his club he still held his head high, coached the last game and backed our players in.

Best:

1. 2013 EF finals hands down. Fantastic day at the footy and Juddys performance was unbelievable. I strongly dislike Mick and everything he did for our club but he picked apart Richmond that day and coached like he'd seen a few finals before.

2. Rd 11 v Brisbane this year. I was so flat and done with the club, whilst my Dad was bugging me all week to stop sooking and come to the game Saturday. I said all week 'nup, * em, I've had enough, easy for you to say you've seen plenty of success'. He messages me Saturday morning and says "Last chance, now's the time to go, not quit and I'm going even if you don't come". Again I said "Nope, * 'em. I'm going to get brunch with the girlfriend, a fresh haircut and enjoy my Saturday" - mind you I had done my ACL this year from my own footy so footy had well and truly broken me. I'm mid haircut and I look out the window and it's as sunny as sunny could be and I'm like "ah * it, I'll come". So I message Dad and tell him I'm coming but the tickets are on him. Probably the most fun I've had at the footy since that 2013 final, and the best live performance I've seen in my time from - from Cripps of course. I saw some great performances by Judd and other opposition players in my time but this was something else. His sheer presence was something I'd never witnessed before. Was just me and the old man and plenty of banter flowing with the seats around us. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day, went and got on the piss with my mates til late. Genuine highlight of 2019 as a whole.

3. Essendon 2011 final - just smacked em. Was glorious witnessing a bit of party time.

4. '99 Prelim. I was young but definitely remember bits and pieces. In particular Koutas last quarter. The siren went and the old man picked up me, spun me around, hugged the supporters in front of him he was arguing with all day. Was madness - great times.

5. 2013 final rd vs. Port. Come from behind win led by Gibbs and Murph who had copped it all year (and their careers basically) for not stepping up when we need them etc. Then bang. The whole last quarter from the start right down to Broadbent hitting the post was just sensational footy, really underrated game.

The absolute worst moment in football for me was the Freo game where Kreuzer did his ACL. We were at the game and from that moment everything felt hollow. I've never felt as sad at a football game than the whole game after that moment.

Sent from my CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not enough love for Harmesy. We were spoilt for stars back then that some missed getting all the love they deserved.

Worst moments

1) Last game at Princes Park felt like a funeral and the culmination of the AFLs objective to destroy Carlton. Football is not life and death but I teared up. It was if my whole childhood was wiped out

2) 2002 last game v nth melb with waving wooden spoons....we were sentenced

3) Salary cap fine and loss of picks....we were crucified and I knew it was a long way back to the top

4) Hamill leaving in 2001 was the first sign something was wrong because it was the first time carlton lost a good player and an end to the saying "Good players don't leave Carlton"

5)1983 elimination final loss to Essendon...end of an era

* Liddle knifing SoS will be added to this list if this current group just miss out on a premiership and we trace it back to 5 years of poor recruiting by SoS replacement

Honorable mention to gold coast game this year. That loss felt like we would never turn it around...just felt horrible

The losing grand finals never felt as bad to me as the above moments because you knew we were close

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back