Opinion Five Best & Worst Moments as a Carlton Fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Immediately thought of Peter Motley's accident as the worst thing I remember and everything else seemed to pale into insignificance.
Definitely. Let's look at it from a whole club worst and preceded our doom, it would have to be the salary cap saga. Geez it virtually made us extinct and I am not talking about Thy here.

My conundrum is that Elliot imo did a lot of good for Carlton before that.

Best 5 ;

1970 GF, the first that I have a clear memory of.
1979 GF, my childhood hero, captain coaches to a premiership.
1981-82 Grand Finals, back to back wins.
1995 A premiership in such a dominant season

Nothing can beat a premiership, I've seen 8 of them, was no doubt my best 5 would centre around premierships.

Worst 5

1979, Jezza leaving Carlton, can't remember ever being as devastated.
1973 GF, that hurt so much and cemented my hatred of all things Richmond.
1993 GF , losing to Essendon.
2002, the salary cap penalties, set the club back for decades.
2005, the last home game at Princes Park, a total betrayal by Collins and his cohorts.

I've been lucky enough to see 5 Premierships, so that sort of takes a bit of the pain away of the last 20 odd years.
However, this for me, sums up everything that was painful in one lasting, sad, pathetic image..

images.jpeg-227.jpg

On the younger side, so all my moments are fairly recent:

Worst

Salary Cap cheating and wooden spoons - Speaks for itself. This is unfortunately where my memory of supporting Carlton begins. At least I can never be accused of being a bandwagoner!

2009 EF vs Brisbane - Missed opportunity to win our first final in a long time. Really should have taken this one.

2009 Hawks Rd 22 - Fev missing the after the siren shot to win the game, heartbreaking. Would have been the perfect payback for 2008 too, not to be I guess. Have hated the Hawks since then.

Sacking Ratten 2012 (Leading to Malthouse, losing Betts, then the rest of the forward line, and the general terribleness of the past 7 years) - Thought at the time Ratten was very unlucky to go given the amount of injuries and record of making finals the previous years. Hurts even more to see other teams find success by sticking with their coach (Richmond), and to see Ratten being so successful this year at the Saints (though obviously its not the same situation given he has more experience now).

2016 Rd 23 Loss against Essendon's reserves - Just embarrassing, no excuse for losing to their cobbled together team that year. At least we weren't the only ones (If we manage to lose to Adelaide this year, it will take over this spot)

Best

2011 EF vs Essendon - First ever final I've been to, it was a joy to watch the whole way through. It's always nice to see a comfortable win with the team in full control the entire time, but having it in a final elevates it to new level. And Judd's performance - magnificent.

2013 EF vs Richmond - Comeback win against Richmond in their first final in years, what's not to love! And the circumstances surrounding our spot in the finals made even sweeter - Richmond losing a final to 9th possibly the funniest moment in footy ever?

2019 Brisbane game - Recent game, but an awesome comeback win for our new coach to signal a fresh, better era to come. It makes the list for the hope it's given the supporters, even if you ignore the immediate impact. Cripp's performance alone also could have made this list, the most dominant performance I have ever seen in person and worth the cost of membership.

2011 Sydney - A good, hard-fought win to break a hoodoo at the SCG. Judd again a joy to watch in the last quarter.

2013 Port Adelaide Rd 23 - A final quarter 5 goal turnaround leading to a narrow victory to secure an unlikely finals spot. I wonder if we have a similar moment this year...

My Favorite Moments

1. 1995 Grand Final Week -- the entire thing was a ripper (to be filmed during the lap of honor was amazing)

2. 1999 prelim -- The Greatest non-Grand Final in AFL Finals History

3. 2013 Elimination Final -- Giving New Definition to Ninth mond

4. Round 3, 2001 -- No SOS, no Bradley, no Kouta, and that was just from the selected side. Given no chance? No problem.

5. Round 5, 1996 -- The Kouta Game also Spalding's 200th game in an era where if we had a milestone game you knew we'd find a way

The Worst Moments

1. Black Friday, 2002. I still feel as though the AFL waited until we were at rock bottom before slamming us.

2. 1993 Grand Final -- the first grand final that I attended.

3. Mick Malthouse

4. 2011 Final Vs West Coast -- we were screwed all night long. It wasn't just the Walker hold. That was the night that solidified for me that interstate teams get home cooking especially the Eagles. Drug addicted cheats.

5. 1994 second semi final -- Geelong with half a side defeating Carlton. It cost us a premiership but may well have won us '95.

I was present at all your highlights. Great times

3. Milburn - ugliest incident I’ve personally seen at a game. I genuinely thought the crowd was going to jump the fence that day.

[/QUOTE]
images (13).jpeg

I only joined the mob so I could lead it in sensible directions

Worst

- Losing the '86, '93 & '99 Grand finals.
- Salary cap breach and the horrific sanctions that crippled us for years
- The outrageous 3 month ban on Williams for touching a bloody umpire
- Kernahan & Bradley's retirements
- Having to surrender the sacred Earth of PP back in 2005

Best

- The victories in '87 & '95
- Every win against the injectors & the Tigers: EVER ( I have an irrational hatred for those 2 )
- Earl Spalding's smother & goal in the '95 Grand Final
- The brilliant comeback win against the Tigers in the 2013 eliminator and the one point heartstopper over the injectors in the '99 Preliminary Final
- The nail-biting win over here ( in WA ) in the last H & A match of the 1995 season when Ricey kicked the greatest point in the history of footy!

It was really difficult to restrict this to just 5 best & worsts. Should've been 25 best & worsts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back