Moved Thread Five years on: are Essendon in a good place?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you ask them they are well within the premiership window and should be contending this season.
Ask who?

The club hasn't said that and if you read posts by fans we're all saying it'd be nice but lets just wait and see first.

Ask who?

The club hasn't said that and if you read posts by fans we're all saying it'd be nice but lets just wait and see first.

Ive been in your forums occasionally boncy, I know the internal feeling there ;) Honestly you probably should be in that contention this year. You have a strong list and had a decent crack last season.

Catoggio76

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL Essendon Bombers are in a good place IMO, (EFC as we knew it was moribund a few years back and but for AFL intervention would no longer be).

Doesn't make sense to compare the two entities, does it? It's a new club built from the ashes of one of the great teams of the first 150 years of the sport.

Nubrick Essendon Football Club?

What did I say that I'd said before? o_O Also, did you see my answer to his question?
Essendon and drugs get mentioned and look who rushed in to contribute.

Nah you don't need new material at all Jen, still doing well under your 20 minute limit a day. :)

Ive been in your forums occasionally boncy, I know the internal feeling there ;) Honestly you probably should be in that contention this year. You have a strong list and had a decent crack last season.
Should probably point them out to me so I can bop them on the head

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Well, they would have been in the finals probably in 2013 if this all hadn't blown up, and who knows what from there?
not probably.
We were kicked out, so well and truly in
We were in a battle for 5th against richmond in the last rd i believe, but we'd already been told we weren't playing finals and the effort was rather deflated.
We'd beaten Richmond earlier that year, so odds are we should have done so again.

15-7 and in 5th, we'd host Port in the first final - another team we beat easily earlier in the season
Then likely lose to the Cats in the Semi.

All told, we didn't lose much through the 4 years vs what we have now.
If you ask them they are well within the premiership window and should be contending this season.
next season
2018 would be a surprise. Not impossible. But im not holding my breathe.
Happy to sustain a finals presence this year.
Top 4 a bonus. Flag is gonna take some luck.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Five years ago today the Essendon Football Club self reported to the AFL and ASADA over concerns that its "supplements program" had in fact been a team-wide doping program.

After a long and brutal investigation, court challenges and media circus, the world's highest court for sporting matters held that 34 Essendon players had been doped with TB-4 and suspended them for one year.

Last year was Essendon's first since then with clear air. The Bombers made the finals and they have record membership. They have a large debt incurred during the doping investigation years, but are powering towards paying that off.

My question - was the whole thing the footy recession Essendon had to have? Have they come out stronger for the long term as a result? Better goveranance, lost their "messiah" complex? United their fans?

Or will the stain of being the only club in AFL history to suffer mass player suspensions for a team-wide doping program haunt them forever?

I think there are convincing arguments for both, and that the real answer is not as black and white as saying it is all over and they move ahead with confidence, nor can you say this will affect them forever.

Five years after the biggest story in footy history broke, to coin a phrase, are Essendon in a good place?

Ha! How long have you had this marked in the diary?

not probably.
We were kicked out, so well and truly in
We were in a battle for 5th against richmond in the last rd i believe, but we'd already been told we weren't playing finals and the effort was rather deflated.
We'd beaten Richmond earlier that year, so odds are we should have done so again.

15-7 and in 5th, we'd host Port in the first final - another team we beat easily earlier in the season
Then likely lose to the Cats in the Semi.

All told, we didn't lose much through the 4 years vs what we have now.

next season
2018 would be a surprise. Not impossible. But im not holding my breathe.
Happy to sustain a finals presence this year.
Top 4 a bonus. Flag is gonna take some luck.
You'd lost 5 of your last 6, but I suspect that was because of the rumours circulating about being stripped of points. That's why I said probably... can't be sure that you wouldn't have made it but also can't guarantee you would have... but you certainly weren't showing form in those final half dozen games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd lost 5 of your last 6, but I suspect that was because of the rumours circulating about being stripped of points. That's why I said probably... can't be sure that you wouldn't have made it but also can't guarantee you would have... but you certainly weren't showing form in those final half dozen games.
I can guarantee we'd have made finals in 2013. Coz, ya know, we did.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
We could have been top 4 until the losses started piling up.
Even with the richmond loss in the last round, we'd have been 6th.

First team to be kicked out of finals.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Handed a Rising Star winner and future superstar as a reward for cheating. Back to being a financial powerhouse. Record membership. Opposition players falling over themselves to try and get to the club. Exciting times ahead.

We aren't in a good place... we're in a GREAT place. And when we win our 17th flag this year and officially become the most successful club in VFL/AFL history, we will be in an even better place.

It feels good to support the Bombers.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Handed a Rising Star winner and future superstar as a reward for cheating. Back to being a financial powerhouse. Record membership. Opposition players falling over themselves to try and get to the club. Exciting times ahead.

We aren't in a good place... we're in a GREAT place. And when we win our 17th flag this year and officially become the most successful club in VFL/AFL history, we will be in an even better place.

It feels good to support the Bombers.

In all seriousness, I think the thing that gets most overlooked was how massive 2016 was for the likes of Daniher, Merrett, Tipungwuti, Fantasia, Parish etc.

Those three wins they got without our senior players were some of the biggest in the clubs history - I really believe that.

Of course, you’d never ever want the suspensions, but even a situation like that has a silver lining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back