Racing Fixed v Tote

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to know how the majority of you bet when it comes to fixed v tote. I’am sick of getting screwed over no matter which choice I make.
Considering the Fixed Odds give you bet returns for 2nd or 3rd i usually go with them as you then don't need to double your bet to go E/W especially regarding backing horses under the 10-1 mark.

But if the horse i like E/W is paying more than $6 a place i take the Top Tote and Mid dividend because the place price outweighs the bonus bet which more often than not i hardly collect on anyway!

Just wanted to know how the majority of you bet when it comes to fixed v tote. I’am sick of getting screwed over no matter which choice I make.

Take top tote if you cannot consistently beat the SP. Long term you will lose much less. I suggest it to everyone it's a huge affect on your bottom line as it's infinitely better. Do not bet early if it's not going to firm! Of course if you can only take middle tote or a certain tote it's probably 50-50 just on vibe of the thing.

If you are not chasing the bet returns etc and bonus bets Top Tote is the way to go and at least then you are a certainty to get the best price in Oz across the 3 totes. Firmers / drifters and market moves are hard to predict and just go with your gut as you can't lose backing winners no matter what they pay! ;)

How the TAB still has customers is beyond me with the other bookies out there like Sportsbet and Bet 365 etc. They give you more bonuses and offers in 1 month than the TAB will give you in 3 years and you always get the unders betting on the TAB.

Probably should include BSP in the conversation given it's 12.9% better than Best Tote over the past 70,000 races after commission. Particularly strong on longer priced horses.

1604217791534.png
1604217824859.png

1604217981108.png

Probably should include BSP in the conversation given it's 12.9% better than Best Tote over the past 70,000 races after commission. Particularly strong on longer priced horses.

View attachment 1000637
View attachment 1000638

View attachment 1000641

Yeah they still won't display for <$7 horses and that's before commision. Normally the ones paying big on BSP you don't want to be on. Helps significantly when a a true 500:1 shot rolls in, it pays $100 on the tote and $500 on BSP. Also volume is small normally can roll something at 100's into 60s without much.

For majority of bets I am convinced BSP is not the way you should be going without full understanding.

Yeah they still won't display for <$7 horses and that's before commision. Normally the ones paying big on BSP you don't want to be on. Helps significantly when a a true 500:1 shot rolls in, it pays $100 on the tote and $500 on BSP. Also volume is small normally can roll something at 100's into 60s without much.

For majority of bets I am convinced BSP is not the way you should be going without full understanding.
It's after commission.

It's after commission.

Really? Just read the line again seems ambiguous but the numbers look right for after commission so i guess so. But still from previous personal experiences, if you can get it. Top tote is the way for me.

If the horse is >$10 betfair should be where you're betting regardless.

Yeah I'm not advocating one way or the other, rather saying it should be in the conversation.

Agree BF is a no brainer for anything >$10. No issues with either fixed or best tote as an option for horses <$10 either. The advantage of fixed I guess is that if your aim is to beat SP to remove as much of the 20% rake as possible you can't do that as well with best tote. But if you're betting fixed vs top tote at the death then top tote is a solid option. Agree the 365 SP guarantee is a good product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless I'm betting early or there is a promo I'll always go Best Tote if it's available. Havent done the numbers but would be shocked if it wasn't the best price the overwhelming majority amount of the time.

A number of bookies also offer BOB on Saturday's (best of top tote or top fluc) which is a slam dunk

Just tried to do some calcs on how much you can give up to take a fixed odd promo with bonus bet return 2nd/3rd. Assume you can get 80% of the bonus bet back risk free. Are these numbers right? Suggests you can take a bigger share off the faves as they are more likely to run a place inherently.

1604224323626.png

Races 6,7,8 at Launnie Trots was an interesting watch for place bettors. Will be interesting if corps revert to a single tote place pool rather than mid tote.

Whilst corps offer best tote mid tote place services the tote will always be utilized by smart punters

Just tried to do some calcs on how much you can give up to take a fixed odd promo with bonus bet return 2nd/3rd. Assume you can get 80% of the bonus bet back risk free. Are these numbers right? Suggests you can take a bigger share off the faves as they are more likely to run a place inherently.

View attachment 1000742

I've been meaning to do this for ages, as in, answer the question as to how much of a price shaver is it with taking to get the BB for place.

Just checking, do your calcs for a place exclude when a horse 'places' first? As you do not get the bonus bet then - so the typical place price, converted to a % chance of occurring would not be the way to do it.

Or a simpler question, how did you go about getting your values for the Place Price column?

I've been meaning to do this for ages, as in, answer the question as to how much of a price shaver is it with taking to get the BB for place.

Just checking, do your calcs for a place exclude when a horse 'places' first? As you do not get the bonus bet then - so the typical place price, converted to a % chance of occurring would not be the way to do it.

Or a simpler question, how did you go about getting your values for the Place Price column?

Thats a good point - it does not - it includes all places for the horse so also first.

Always go fixed because you know what you are getting. So many times in a country horse or harness meeting the tab rip you off by changing the price of the winner after the race is won by quite a margin too. Never forget at newcastle harness years ago the winner was paying $7-50 on the tote before they jumped and ended up paying $2 when it won. Only exception is the big carnival days like melbourne cup day. Take the tote then because a lot of people who aren't punters are betting on crap horses which beefs up the good horses odds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back