Prediction Fixing our forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
As with all Carlton supporters, I am tormented by our disfunctional forward line;
  • A lumbering Full Forward who can't kick straight, can't pick up the ball when it hits the ground, has slow decision making skills & can't chase the rebounding backman;
  • A lumbering resting ruckman who can't mark & can't chase the rebounding backman;
  • The lack of a Centre Half Forward;
  • The lack of crumbing forwards (Wright was good but we have lacked that zippy small forward);
  • The lack of a genuine third tall forward (Silvagni/Curnow played this as 1st year players last year).
Now I know a lot of our problems fall with the delivery in to the forward line, but really, the personnel in our forward line hasn't helped. Cas, Jones, Lamb, Buckley, Armfield, Phillips are hardly going to scare an opposition backline coach.

LOVE THE DRAKE's 3 point plan to create a functional forward line;
  • Drop Casboult
  • Weiters to CHF
  • Jacksch to FF (I can hear the groans but hear me out)
Our forward set up now has two KPP's who can kick straight. Granted Jacksh is out of favour and must show intensity, but he is a beautiful set shot at goal and only needs to get it 8 times to kick 3 goals. Levi would have to get it 28 times to kick 3 goals. I mulled over where best to play Weiters - but I liked the way he presented at CHF and gave our backline/midfielders a mobile target coming out of defence. I also think Jaksch is better suited near goal.

FORWARD LINE FOR ROUND 1;

CHF line: Silvagni Jaksch Wright
FF line: Pickett Weiters Curnow

The one thing in common all these players have is the ability to kick straight.

Sumner, Kerridge, Rowe/Phillips (as second ruck), Murphy/Gibbs/Cripps (resting) would also play through here, but I really like this as a starting 6 for round 1 (although the thought of Rance on Jaksch is not a pretty one).

This is my wish list - I am 99% they will go with Casboult over Jaksch for round 1, but if Cas continues to underperform/miss easy shots then I hope to see this set up.

Rowe is a 'break glass in case of emergency' sort of ruckman, so until we have more options available (like Phillips) I doubt Cas will be dropped. He is needed to ruck.

So using that theory as the basis, three other medium or tall forwards can be selected. Silvagni seems a no-brainer, as does C Curnow who will spend time in the middle too. Until McKay has fitness and form enough to play seniors, it pretty much leaves the options as Jaksch and Weitering. The MC will pick Weitering every time, unless there are injuries in the back line that means he has to stay down there, opening up another tall forward spot. Then again, they may choose to simply play smaller and open the forward line up instead.

So basically I think we are treading water with our forwards AND backs as they continue their development. Rowe and Casboult will continue to bookend the team sheet until the others push them out. I think this will happen towards the end of the season, but until then, we don't have the flexibility in the ruck to cast Cas aside in favour of youth.

A lot of what you said makes sense. Problem is we need Casboult to play the second ruck role. Rowe cant do it. Jaksch is behind Cas, Mackay, Jones and Charlie. Kicking 3 or 4 goals in a Northern Blues practice match wont change that.

As for our forwardline as a whole, delivery has been atrocious, and opportunities few and far between. In order to kick a winning score we need to give our forwards more legitimate opportunities.

Rowe and Casboult in the ruck??? Don't make me laugh. Throw caution to the wind and promote Korcheck.
I hear what you are saying, but I think the big fella is still a fair way off...and can't mark to save himself. Bolton plays the second ruck as a forward; Rowe and Casboult are, unfortunately, our only options.

I'm not sold on silvagni at this stage. Hasn't been amazing in the preseason and I don't want another Waite who feels immediately entitled to a game due to their bloodlines.
Silvagni needs games. He is our developing 3rd tall. He has very neat skills and is a smart footballer. He has to build a tank and run & create space. I think (hope) he will be an A class forward with 50 games under his belt.

I'm not sold on silvagni at this stage. Hasn't been amazing in the preseason and I don't want another Waite who feels immediately entitled to a game due to their bloodlines.

Very harsh in my opinion. It must be difficult playing in this forward line with the awful supply they get from the midfield. He is still developing but is a hard work. I also suspect he is a big game type of player whose footy smarts will allow him to impact games. Cool your jets sunshine

A lot of what you said makes sense. Problem is we need Casboult to play the second ruck role. Rowe cant do it. Jaksch is behind Cas, Mackay, Jones and Charlie. Kicking 3 or 4 goals in a Northern Blues practice match wont change that.

As for our forwardline as a whole, delivery has been atrocious, and opportunities few and far between. In order to kick a winning score we need to give our forwards more legitimate opportunities.
I don't mind Cas as our second ruck/resting forward pocket. I DON'T LIKE HIM AS OUR FULL FORWARD - someone the team relies on to kick goals (god help us)!! There is not room in our side for two lumbering players like Rowe & Cas, particluarly not in the forward line together.

Play A.Silvagni as FB (he's every bit as good as Rowe at FB) and then choose one of Cas/Rowe as our second ruck. We need good kicks in our forward line and I reckon Jaksch is one of the better ones on our list..

Very harsh in my opinion. It must be difficult playing in this forward line with the awful supply they get from the midfield. He is still developing but is a hard work. I also suspect he is a big game type of player whose footy smarts will allow him to impact games. Cool your jets sunshine
You don't need to patronise me for saying I'd prefer we made sure every player earnt their spot. I know it's not a popular opinion, that's fine.

Our coaching panel needs to be brave and drop Casboult. He doesn't do enough to warrant selection on a walk-up basis. He kicked 18 goals and had 6 hit outs from 20-odd games last year. That shouldn't be enough to warrant guaranteed selection in 2017. Would Jaksch or Jones have offered so little impact if given the same opportunity?

Jaksch needs to be considered because his conversion efficiency. it's not as though we create many chances, so those that we do need to be in the hands of someone better than Casboult.

One potential positive is the combination of Pickett and SPS. I'm wary of comparing them to a pairing that put the runs on the board, but they could be Krakour brother-like. The skill, creativity and danger they'll pose across our half forward line should excite us and worry our opponents in equal measure.

As for McKay, he's the slowest of slow burns on our list. We're going to need patience when it comes to Harry, but I'm confident he'll be a very valuable player for us.

Jaksch has kicked goals 7 in the last 2 VFL scratch matches.
196 cm moves fine has some footy nous, can take a good mark and kick a ball well.
So what if he appears lackadaisical and a little nonchalant the guy can kick goals and moves intellegently as a forward. The ruggerd, determined look will come with confidence.
Once we have Murphy, Gibbs, SPS and Pickett, up and running distributing ball to more a Intelligent and talented forwards , Jaksch, LeBois, J. Silvagni Charlie and MacKay we'll begin to win games again.

Build your defence, stack your midfield and the forward line will follow. Look at the Bulldogs last year, the Hawks for the last couple. No real big star forwards. Bulldogs last year had Cordy with Boyd in the ruck. Hawks had Guntson with Roughead spending most time around the ball. It's about wining the ball around the middle and putting into space or to the advantage of teammates inside 50.

One of our biggest issues in kicking a score is our turnovers up the field and poor delivery. It's shocking. We need to get past these players. It's a major issue and has been for years

McKay will be the big target in time. Jaksch looked okay in last few games but I'm not sold. We have genuine small talent with Pickett & LeBois and Wright is very underrated. SOS is a very mobile taller option. Key then is using improved midfiled depth through there. Look at all our mids and most can kick multiple goals. It's where good sides now get their scores. Mobile running players. If used properly Charlie Cripps Murphy Gibbs Kerridge Cuningham Palmer Smedts etc can contribute 6-8 goals a game between them. Key will then be how quickly the others mentioned above can develop into regular contributors. Patience is needed.

One thing I do know is Rowe Casboult White Armfield Thomas Gorringe Lamb aren't the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear what you are saying, but I think the big fella is still a fair way off...and can't mark to save himself. Bolton plays the second ruck as a forward; Rowe and Casboult are, unfortunately, our only options.
Last year we played 2 rucks and Casboult. It didn't work. Korcheck could hardly be any more useless than Casboult as a forward. Remember he's only been playing the game for 15 months - Levi has had 7 years on a list and yet couldn't even muster 20 goals last season.

The big yank is 25 years old, has had a season in the VFL and would benefit from being in the deep end while Phillips is out.

I don't think our forward line is as bad as it appears. If the midfield could supply the ball regularly, quickly and with quality I think we'd kick goals.

From what I've seen is that it usually goes in there rarely, slowly, rarely from clean center breaks and it's often just bombed in there.

Fix the midfield and for forward line will grow.

Last edited:
I don't think our forward line is as bad as it appears. If the midfield could supply the ball regularly, quickly and with quality I think we'd kick goals.

From what I've seen is that is usually goes in there rarely, slowly, rarely from clean center breaks and it's often just bombed in there.

Agree ball use is a massive issue. Forward line has potential just needs some time. Not easy to learn though the way the ball is coming in

Out of our young defenders Weitering, Macreadie, Marchbank, Plowman and Glass-McCasker, Weitering will be our best player but IMO Macreadie has the skills to be the best forward out of the group.

I don't mind Cas as our second ruck/resting forward pocket. I DON'T LIKE HIM AS OUR FULL FORWARD - someone the team relies on to kick goals (god help us)!! There is not room in our side for two lumbering players like Rowe & Cas, particluarly not in the forward line together.

Play A.Silvagni as FB (he's every bit as good as Rowe at FB) and then choose one of Cas/Rowe as our second ruck. We need good kicks in our forward line and I reckon Jaksch is one of the better ones on our list..

Cant agree with Silvagni at full back. He is depth at best for us. Rowe provides a big body and at this stage protects the under developed bodies of Weitering and Marchbank from getting crushed by the likes of Hawkins, Tom Lynch, Tex Walker etc. Defensively Rowe is solid, his decision making is really what lets him down.

I don't mind Cas as our second ruck/resting forward pocket.

Last night I thought he showed what a major liability he would be as a ruck. Easily cost us a couple of goals but spoiling teammates or simply making bad decisions. People focus on his kicking but he is just not a smart footballer. Doesn't know where to run, no awareness and constantly makes mistakes. He is a liability. Amongst all our issues at the moment the number one is too many dumb footballers with bad skills and we need to move on from them.

From what I've seen is that it usually goes in there rarely, slowly, rarely from clean center breaks and it's often just bombed in there.

Agreed.

Our forwardline might not amaze anyone, and sometimes dumb forward play probably does also work the other way in that it makes it harder for our mids to kick to a smart lead, but our delivery can just be plain shite sometimes, no matter how you look at it.

Cant agree with Silvagni at full back. He is depth at best for us. Rowe provides a big body and at this stage protects the under developed bodies of Weitering and Marchbank from getting crushed by the likes of Hawkins, Tom Lynch, Tex Walker etc. Defensively Rowe is solid, his decision making is really what lets him down.
I think it's a horses for courses...Rowe for the monsters and A.Silvagni for the more mobile forwards like Riewoldt. I don't think the team can afford to carry two big lumbering talls like Rowe and Casboult anymore..

Last night I thought he showed what a major liability he would be as a ruck. Easily cost us a couple of goals but spoiling teammates or simply making bad decisions. People focus on his kicking but he is just not a smart footballer. Doesn't know where to run, no awareness and constantly makes mistakes. He is a liability. Amongst all our issues at the moment the number one is too many dumb footballers with bad skills and we need to move on from them.
I share the same views. Our issue is that Bolton likes the two ruck set up and will go with it. At present we don't have many options for a second ruckman...it is Casboult, Rowe or Korchek until Phillips returns.

As I've said...Casboult is definitely not the answer at Full Forward. I think he adds more value as a second ruck/resting forward than Korchek or Rowe. Don't get me wrong....I have no issues with Casboult being dropped as I don't see him as AFL quallity..

I share the same views. Our issue is that Bolton likes the two ruck set up and will go with it. At present we don't have many options for a second ruckman...it is Casboult, Rowe or Korchek until Phillips returns.

As I've said...Casboult is definitely not the answer at Full Forward. I think he adds more value as a second ruck/resting forward than Korchek or Rowe. Don't get me wrong....I have no issues with Casboult being dropped as I don't see him as AFL quallity..

I like the structure of one main ruck and a tall forward back up. Kruezer & or Phillips thrive on rucking 80% of the time. Kruezer's form over the pre season has been very good and I believe that's why.

We don't have many options but i know Casboult isn't one of them. I was hoping to see Gorringe in the pre season but injury stopped that. IMO Rowe is the best option (although not great). He is a workhorse, does the simple things well and will make a consistent contest. Also a better kick for goal. He came to Carlton as a Ruck/Fwd. At the end of the year we need to look outside the club for better options but in the meantime I would play Kruezer & Rowe as my ruck combination.

I think in a few weeks we will be back to Kruezer/Phillips. I don't like it but given our list at the moment it's our best option

Remove this Banner Ad

Back