Opinion Fixing our KPF problem

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem l have with him being in the cente is that when it is near him, he is good. But when the ball is a little away from him and both he and his opponent is going to it, Martin isn't fast enough and his opponent gets it. This happened in the rd 23 game.
doesn't stop Watson, Kennedy, Priddis, etc. Inside mids aren't really noted for their pace. It is probably more to do with his body positioning and awareness that needs some adjustments if he wants to play as an inside mid. Takes a few years to get to a reasonable standard with the only pure inside mid that has stepped up from u18 to AFL that I can think of is Wines.

doesn't stop Watson, Kennedy, Priddis, etc. Inside mids aren't really noted for their pace. It is probably more to do with his body positioning and awareness that needs some adjustments if he wants to play as an inside mid. Takes a few years to get to a reasonable standard with the only pure inside mid that has stepped up from u18 to AFL that I can think of is Wines.
But why do we need him there? We already have an A grade midfield.

We definitely don't need him in the midfield, but we need him to play away from the forward line. He was too important to go back to getting less than 2 touches a quarter and a goal every 5 quarters. We've got much better options up forward now.

IMO, where we play Martin is one of our biggest selection dilemmas, along with trying to choose between the 19th - 26th best players.

TBH I think last years Martin is a totally different beast to the Martin we seen in 2013. He is a totally different player and it only took a year to de-demonise him. I am fairly confident he will continue on his good form and I think he will be surprise a few up in the forward line. Still prefer him around the ball but I can see him playing a bit at either end as well. Maybe the new utility of the team if Stakes doesn't get up?

TBH I think last years Martin is a totally different beast to the Martin we seen in 2013. He is a totally different player and it only took a year to de-demonise him. I am fairly confident he will continue on his good form and I think he will be surprise a few up in the forward line. Still prefer him around the ball but I can see him playing a bit at either end as well. Maybe the new utility of the team if Stakes doesn't get up?
Strongest in the club benching 160kgs according to my young bloke.
I hope he's not relegated, he was a revelation last season.
Fitter and stronger by reports.
Tandem rucking with Leui for mine even off the bench in a rotation of sorts..

Strongest in the club benching 160kgs according to my young bloke.
I hope he's not relegated, he was a revelation last season.
Fitter and stronger by reports.
Tandem rucking with Leui for mine even off the bench in a rotation of sorts..
It also highlights the fact that Leuey could also do to increase his strength. He is still prone to being outmuscled in ruck contests and should be nearing his peak strength you would think at this stage of his career.

Martin was a mediocre ruckman and a terrible forward before last year.
For a number of reasons, Stef improved his ruck work dramatically in 2014. If he can improve his rucking so much, there is probably improvement to come in his forward game. He's an athletic beast, but now he needs to work on his forward play and basic skills.

For a number of reasons, Stef improved his ruck work dramatically in 2014. If he can improve his rucking so much, there is probably improvement to come in his forward game. He's an athletic beast, but now he needs to work on his forward play and basic skills.
There was a crunching pack mark in the goal square late last year. I'm pretty sure it was against Collingwood.

To be fair, he had played quite well as a lone ruckman for Melbourne when given the opportunity. He's never shown any signs as a forward.
I think getting a goal a game on average from Martin and Leuenberger(collectively) would be a very good result.

A big part of being a key forward is about having the instincts to move at the right time and to the right place. There also seems to be a particular scorer's instinct that you either have or you don't. And sadly Stefan Martin doesn't have it.

So he's not going to be a key forward, even a temporary one.

But he actually did his best work last year on the wings and flanks, running away from his opponent and then leaping over anyone near him. As a winger/flanker he's a very tough matchup. I reckon he can effectively play as a ruckman/outside midfielder, as weird as it sounds. He might need to spend more time resting on the bench in that role, though.

I think if we can average a goal a game between the two ruckmen we are doing well. Stef will stretch a defence if he rests forward, and put more ground level pressure on than a big man has any right to.

At the same time, Leuey offers a completely different challenge to defences resting forward with his speed on a lead for his size. We just need to get our set ups right so we can give them some obvious space to fill and kick to their advantage. Pretty much all of our forwards will look better once we start choosing better options and kicking to advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back