RilesMacca

Keep punchin mate
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Here is our fixture for next season.

2x byes and playing two top 8 teams twice from 2023.

fixture 2024.png

Context on the double ups
Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 4.01.22 pm.png

So we play 2 top 6 sides of collingwood and GWS twice, 2 middle teams of Adelaide & Bulldogs twice, and 2 bottom 6 teams of Freo and Essendon twice.

Last edited:

No real way of knowing what's an easy fixture and what's a hard fixture until after the facts. No team is the same two years in a row, and no team is the same all season long, either.

The unpredictability of the fixture is best embodied by our Freo games this year. We got given them twice this season after they finished 6th last season, only for them to be s**t this year and finish 14th. Despite that, they still got a win over us, but it was at our home ground when we were at rock bottom, and we then got a win over them at their home ground when they were at rock bottom.

Subversions of expectations all over the place there. I'm personally just annoyed the fixture has confirmed that GWS & St Kilda are still in the competition.

We have the third equal hardest fixture behind Brisbane and Collingwood.

Not much room for error if teams hold their 2023 form.

Geelong should be top 2 based on their fixture alone.
The fact that both Geelong and Sydney are in the middle 6 of the weighted draw groups yet we get the 3rd most difficult match up based on this year's ladder finish yet Geelong get the 15th most difficult. Only GC, North and WC have a more difficult fixture. What a F'N joke! :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly the idiot who came up with this draw actually stated that they have rewarded the teams who performed well last year in regards to Thursday/Friday night matches. GWS were one point away from playing in the grand final and they get 1.
Oh, that's right, GWS is not a Victorian club.

Last edited:
The fact that both Geelong and Sydney are in the middle 6 of the weighted draw groups yet we get the 3rd most difficult match up based on this year's ladder finish yet Geelong get the 15th most difficult. Only GC, North and WC have a more difficult fixture. What a F'N joke! :mad:

People underestimate the effect it has on a team chances the old cliche keeps getting thrown out it doesnt matter if your good enough etc..

But it allows teams to rest and manage players without having to run your team into the ground.

There is no way Geelong dont finish top 2 next year will be a massive failure if they dont.

People underestimate the effect it has on a team chances the old cliche keeps getting thrown out it doesnt matter if your good enough etc..

But it allows teams to rest and manage players without having to run your team into the ground.

There is no way Geelong dont finish top 2 next year will be a massive failure if they dont.
I wouldn't go as far as top 2 but they have been handed a dream fixture. It's not bad enough that the AFL turn a blind eye to all the out of salary cap payments made by Cotton On but they give them this leg up as well.

I have no problem with our fixture. Do we know the days/time slots yet? I like home afternoon fixtures.

I like that we play 'opening night' v Melbourne.

I like that we get an extra bye. Let's hope it can be advantageous rather than a hindrance and allows us to manage players and keep them fresher.

Why?

I am pretty sure it doesn't happen in other sports. I dunno what is so special about the AFL that the fixture needs to be used as an equalisation measure.

Other sports aren't compromised in the way the AFL is.

If we could play each opponent twice (Once at Home, Once Away) then there'd be no problems with the draw, other than the travel.

Since some teams have to play each other twice, and others only once there is a cause for some complaints about a fair draw.

I personally don't give a s**t about the quality of the teams that we play, I care about the km's travelled.

But that would require you know, a brain.

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

Actual Footage of Gillon or Dillon or whatever his name is.

Other sports aren't compromised in the way the AFL is.

If we could play each opponent twice (Once at Home, Once Away) then there'd be no problems with the draw, other than the travel.

Since some teams have to play each other twice, and others only once there is a cause for some complaints about a fair draw.

I personally don't give a s**t about the quality of the teams that we play, I care about the km's travelled.

But that would require you know, a brain.

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

Actual Footage of Gillon or Dillon or whatever his name is.

So we acknowledge there are imbalances throughout the league and then we add in an extra one by saying better teams get a harder draw.

The goal should be to have the fixture as balanced for every team as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back