Preview Fixture 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Have posted it in other places but as a Melbourne based member, this is a ******* putrid draw for fans in the homeland. 2 of the 6 games, a GA membership will need to be upgraded to a reserve seat. If you are a family or live outside the inner suburbs you cop a Thursday school night, a Friday night and two 4pm Sunday games (wtf?), one of which is during the school term. Yet we are now paying over $200 for the privilege. Without adding the reserved seat upgrades, you are paying 35 bucks for entry to games you could rock up to the gate to and pay 10 bucks less.

AFL keen for the Blues to make finals again I see..:think:

Carlton won’t be going far either with seven of its opening nine games at either the MCG or Marvel Stadium, including a run of five straight. They then finish the season with five of the last six games in Victoria.

And then we have the Bombers..

Essendon gets to top that midway through the year when they have 10 weeks sleeping in their own beds, not leaving the state from Round 13-23.

And finally the Magpies

After copping three trips in the opening five weeks of the season, reigning premiers Collingwood cruise home with seven of their last eight games at the MCG.

Far out. All the big Vic teams kissed on the arse.

Why?

I am pretty sure it doesn't happen in other sports. I dunno what is so special about the AFL that the fixture needs to be used as an equalisation measure.
Everything about the AFL is supposed to be around equalisation, in theory. Why do you think we have a draft, salary cap and soft cap?? Where have you been for the past 20 years?

Have posted it in other places but as a Melbourne based member, this is a ******* putrid draw for fans in the homeland. 2 of the 6 games, a GA membership will need to be upgraded to a reserve seat. If you are a family or live outside the inner suburbs you cop a Thursday school night, a Friday night and two 4pm Sunday games (wtf?), one of which is during the school term. Yet we are now paying over $200 for the privilege. Without adding the reserved seat upgrades, you are paying 35 bucks for entry to games you could rock up to the gate to and pay 10 bucks less.
Which games do we need an upgrade to? I went to all games last year including Collingwood at the G and Essendon at Marvel using my Swans membership without having to upgrade. Why would we need to do so next year?

Everything about the AFL is supposed to be around equalisation, in theory. Why do you think we have a draft, salary cap and soft cap?? Where have you been for the past 20 years?
We have a draft and salary cap like lots of sports.

AFL is the only sport I know that deliberately manufactures the fixture to give bad teams an easier draw.

And no, not everything in the AFL is supposed to be about equalisation. Some things actually are about a contest and the best team winning.

We've only got 2 Thursday games. One in Sydney and the other in Melbourne - the Demons have four.

Which games do we need an upgrade to? I went to all games last year including Collingwood at the G and Essendon at Marvel using my Swans membership without having to upgrade. Why would we need to do so next year?
Those are the two you would need to reserve a seat to guarantee. The Collingwood game in particular, you can be assured will go close to selling out being the unveiling of the flag. If Essendon finally decide to pull their finger out you will also need to reserve a seat as their bandwagon supporters will start turning up again.

We've only got 2 Thursday games. One in Sydney and the other in Melbourne - the Demons have four.
Yep. If it's such a drawcard, not sure why Collingwood or Carlton aren't getting the 4. Reality is it is great for TV ratings but s**t financially for the clubs as they would lose at least a couple of thousand in attendance.

Those are the two you would need to reserve a seat to guarantee. The Collingwood game in particular, you can be assured will go close to selling out being the unveiling of the flag. If Essendon finally decide to pull their finger out you will also need to reserve a seat as their bandwagon supporters will start turning up again.
There's ALWAYS GA bays for our games in Melbourne though. Yes, I know, they may be level 4 MCG, but you can absolutely scan in to every game. There will even be GA bays for the Pies game (though extremely limited).

Here is a shot of Gather Round at Mount Barker (my home town) earlier this year. North v Brisbane
Gather Round.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd head over to Gather Round next year but have my first kid due end of March.. my half-sister lives walking distance to Mount Barker though so would have been great to attend.

I'd head over to Gather Round next year but have my first kid due end of March.. my half-sister lives walking distance to Mount Barker though so would have been great to attend.
Congratulations!!

Congratulations!
Life, as you know it, is over - but it's really, REALLY worth it.
All the best to you and Mrs SM

Last edited:
AFL keen for the Blues to make finals again I see..:think:

Carlton won’t be going far either with seven of its opening nine games at either the MCG or Marvel Stadium, including a run of five straight. They then finish the season with five of the last six games in Victoria.

And then we have the Bombers..

Essendon gets to top that midway through the year when they have 10 weeks sleeping in their own beds, not leaving the state from Round 13-23.

And finally the Magpies

After copping three trips in the opening five weeks of the season, reigning premiers Collingwood cruise home with seven of their last eight games at the MCG.

Far out. All the big Vic teams kissed on the arse.
To be fair Port play 6 of their first 8 at Adelaide Oval.

Even St Kilda get 8 of the last 9 at Marvel.

Congrats. GotTheGoodes can give you tips on the best Swans gear for newborns:tongueoutv1: he's got that down pat now.

Thanks all - thankfully Round 0 means we can get to a game before bub's arrival, and then we'll be back out in force for the AFLW if not earlier! Early season will be cheering on from home. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back