Preview Fixture 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd head over to Gather Round next year but have my first kid due end of March.. my half-sister lives walking distance to Mount Barker though so would have been great to attend.
Can we stay at your half sister's? ;)

Didn't mind the Collingwood one, even though most of the references would go over their fans heads.

The Hawks one if not dumb, is horribly misthought.

We got ripped off with our fixture.

Get the reigning premier, GWS, who always make us earn it, Adelaide, who should have made finals, bulldogs who were top 8 most of the year and very well could have made finals, Essendon, who will be much better this year than they were last year, as one of our two weak teams.

the only weak team is Freo, and even then, they'd be one of the stronger bottom 4 sides, certainly no pushovers.

In saying that, if you're good enough you're generally confident going into 90% of your matches, so the quality of the fixture can be made next to irrelevant.

I'm confident, so could care less who we play. Just sick of having the short straw drawn for us.

Was speaking to one of the girls from the Sydney Office at the pub yesterday, the club is absolutely livid that one of our few requests (to have a June game in Melbourne to celebrate our 150th birthday) was ignored and that we only have Marvel games afterwards so any birthday celebrations will not be at the MCG.

Was speaking to one of the girls from the Sydney Office at the pub yesterday, the club is absolutely livid that one of our few requests (to have a June game in Melbourne to celebrate our 150th birthday) was ignored and that we only have Marvel games afterwards so any birthday celebrations will not be at the MCG.
They may have been livid, but I bet they weren't shocked.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the draw, teams change so much from season to season, it's hard to predict how it will pan out. Having said that, how does St Kilda, who finished 6th, get the 13th hardest draw and the premiers from the season before the 15th hardest but the team that finished 8th get the 3rd hardest?

Yeah, the draw is very equalising......
manchester united GIF

They may have been livid, but I bet they weren't shocked.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the draw, teams change so much from season to season, it's hard to predict how it will pan out. Having said that, how does St Kilda, who finished 6th, get the 13th hardest draw and the premiers from the season before the 15th hardest but the team that finished 8th get the 3rd hardest?

Yeah, the draw is very equalising......
Because the Swans are more likely to draw a better crowd tv and attendance than the Saints against higher opposition. Its a bit of a compliment actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question. Ground and pick (looks fantastic). Everywhere else looks dry where does the water come from. Underground?
Good question! I'll find out but I think it might be treated effluent from the wetlands nearby

The soccer pitch is artificial turf I think

Yep I hear the same. There were big plans to incorporate a 150th celebration with an MCG game. Now they won't. Rest assured there will be a big event in Melbourne though.

Other sports aren't compromised in the way the AFL is.

If we could play each opponent twice (Once at Home, Once Away) then there'd be no problems with the draw, other than the travel.
The only football leagues in Australia with an even draw (everyone plays everyone the same number of times) are the NRLW and the womens super rugby, where all 10 and all 6 teams play each other once. All four men's codes have extra games against some teams, as do the women's soccer while the AFLW has missing matchups instead.

Serious question. Ground and pick (looks fantastic). Everywhere else looks dry where does the water come from. Underground?
I've made some enquiries, and been told that the oval can be irrigated with either treated effluent from the Councils septic tank system, or with mains water (which comes from Mount Lofty Ranges reservoirs or the River Murray)

Last edited:
I've made some enquiries, and been told that the oval can be irrigated with either with treated effluent from the Councils septic tank system, or with mains water (which comes from Mount Lofty Ranges reservoirs or the River Murray)

Thank you for such a definitive answer. I'm glad we got to the bottom of that!

I've made some enquiries, and been told that the oval can be irrigated with either treated effluent from the Councils septic tank system, or with mains water (which comes from Mount Lofty Ranges reservoirs or the River Murray)
Brilliant. The grounds look great. Real treat for clubs playing the game in rural areas. My hubby played on dust bowls and bogs lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back