Fixture adjustments and Finals proposal - 6 weeks spare

Hey guys, so I was talking to WAG about the byes and how he'd mentioned taking away the bye from previous weeks to ensure four games a week. Given Mozzies had the bye in Round 2, it meant only three rounds were effected, but meant that the Animals, Ladyboys and Meerkats all go one less win (due to losing to the other team with the bye). This actually doesn't change the ladder order, just takes away the wins (see below).

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 6.37.02 am.png

I have altered the fixture so everyone plays everyone twice across 14 rounds.

Results thus far:

Round 1: AFL Round 1

South-Eastern Polar Bears (516.75) defeated Animals run wild (463.5)
The Ladyboys (470) defeated by South West Dragons (503)
Broome Bears (463.5) defeated by The Cheetahs (627.5)
City Oval Plovers (529) defeated Outback Meerkats (435.5)

Round 2: AFL Round 2

Animals run wild (505.75) defeated by The Ladyboys (512.5)
The Cheetahs (618) defeated South-Eastern Polar Bears (548)
South West Dragons (474.75) defeated by City Oval Plovers (619)
Outback Meerkats (464.5) defeated by Broome Bears (473.75)

Round 3: AFL Round 3

The Ladyboys (482) defeated by The Cheetahs (592.5)
City Oval Plovers (482) defeated Animals run wild (425.75)
South-Eastern Polar Bears (527.5) defeated Outback Meerkats (520.5)
Broome Bears (643) defeated South West Dragons (478.75)

Round 4: AFL Round 4

The Ladyboys (545.5) defeated City Oval Plovers (450.75)
Outback Meerkats (500.5) defeated by The Cheetahs (514)
Animals run wild (423) defeated by Broome Bears (498.75)
South West Dragons (471) defeated by South-Eastern Polar Bears (636.5)

###

The other thing I realised by adjusting the fixture is that we actually finish in Round 17, so it leaves six rounds for finals. I have proposed something that hopefully isn't too progressive, but the goal is to keep all coaches active until the end rather than such a long break.

Basically after 14 rounds, the top 4 and bottom 4 are locked away. The original finals series was to have five teams in the finals series that most local comps adopt (1st bye in week 1, 2nd v 3rd, 4th v 5th etc). I had the idea to have three weeks of where the top four sides play off against each other to determine positioning in the top four, and the bottom four sides play off to determine who finishes 5th and 6th (under the new system I have thought up). This gives all coaches a chance to play finals, though still giving the distinct advantage to the top 4.

Finals:

Week 1: AFL Round 18

TOP 4 locked in
BOTTOM 4 locked in

1st vs. 4th
2nd vs. 3rd
5th vs. 8th
6th vs. 7th

Week 2: AFL Round 19

2nd vs. 4th
1st vs. 3rd
5th vs. 7th
6th vs. 8th

Week 3: AFL Round 20

1st vs. 2nd
3rd vs. 4th
5th vs. 6th
7th vs. 8th

AT THE CONCLUSION of the three weeks, the two top teams from the bottom four are identified to play the two bottom teams from the top four. So 3rd vs. 6th and 4th vs. 5th. The reward for 1st and 2nd is making it to what is effectively the preliminary finals. The advantage for 1st is they play the lowest ranked winner, guaranteeing them not to play 3rd, thus not disadvantaged any worse than a normal prelim, while 2nd play the other winner. From there, the winner of both games advance to the Grand Final.

Week 4: AFL Round 21 - Elimination Finals

3rd vs. 6th
4th vs. 5th

Week 5: AFL Round 22 - Preliminary Finals

A: 1st vs. Lowest ranked winner from Week 4 (ie. cannot play 3rd)
B: 2nd vs. Highest ranked winner from Week 4 (ie. cannot play 6th)

Week 6: AFL Round 23 - Grand Final

Winner of A vs. Winner of B

###

Would love to get people's thoughts on this, as it gives each coach a chance to at least coach until Round 20 so keep active rather than end in July, and it ends up forming a similar finals system we would have had anyway.

I'm not going to lie, I don't like the finals system, particularly as it's a big change from what we drafted for. It completely changes the value of players that were drafted with an injury to start the season. eg Connor Blakely becomes a much more valuable player to draft now that all teams make the finals and he will be fully healed by then.

The advantage for finishing top 2 or 4 is also too small to non-existent.

I'm not going to lie, I don't like the finals system, particularly as it's a big change from what we drafted for. It completely changes the value of players that were drafted with an injury to start the season. eg Connor Blakely becomes a much more valuable player to draft now that all teams make the finals and he will be fully healed by then.

The advantage for finishing top 2 or 4 is also too small to non-existent.
Fair and one issue I was worried about looking at it. It's trying to keep everyone active throughout otherwise it's a four month season max for some. It's worth noting only 6 teams make finals and the top two automatically make the final four. But I see your point.

The other system I considered was doing a finals series similar to basketball say semis that last a best of three weeks or something, but it's still trying to keep the other coaches involved because too often we lose the coaches that are in the bottom few because they suck and then seasons finish early and it's a long break to the next season.

I'm all ears for a potential alternative finals series too.

Back