Fixture structure (399th time!?) 2 conferences brings some fairness e.g. geelong get all home games and finals at kardinia

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Go by previous seasons ladder. Obviously all teams play each other once but the 3 groups by the previous seasons ladder will decide the 5 return games each team plays.

Group A - 1,4,7,10,13,16
Group B - 2,5,8,11,14,17
Group C - 3,6,9,12,15,18.

Obviously some teams will cop more travel than others but at least everyone knows what to expect.

BanjoRed

Rookie
Aug 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Drop 2 teams
30 round regular season
No preseason
No byes
Drop 1st week of finals with 1 and 2 resting, 3vs6, 4vs5.

Fair. Balanced. More footy. Better finals.

Season starts just before the preaseason would have.

TV would love it.

Physical demands of the game could not allow teams to be playing 30 H&A games per season.
An extended season may actually harm the game. People lose interest. Especially if your team cannot make finals after 20 games in, with another 10 rounds to follow.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Physical demands of the game could not allow teams to be playing 30 H&A games per season.
An extended season may actually harm the game. People lose interest. Especially if your team cannot make finals after 20 games in, with another 10 rounds to follow.

Does every player in the EPL play every game?

Carlton were never playing finals. Did crowds and players give up?

EPL doesnt even have finals so there is generally zero chance of the winner not being in the top 5 or 6 with 5 or 6 weeks to go.

Also, St Kilda. 60 years now?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Isnt it neutral, full stop?

Nope, not even for some Melbourne based team who play moat home games at Marvel, IE The Saints and North.

Never really fallen for the G is a neutral ground line myself, it's not like Wembley, far from it.

Geelong don't want all home games at Kardinia. They get more money with home and away games against big Vic clubs being at the MCG, which is why they keep doing it. But when the AFL follows the same logic with finals (where it gets the gate)...

Brian Cook has been on the record several times saying we earn more coin playing in front of 30,000 in Geelong than we do in front of 65,000 at the MCG.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
A 30 H&A is doable. To do it you need:
* shorter games
* bigger lists
* better play management (players have mandated 2 games off per year, to be managed by club/player)
* no official pre-season games

Will it ever happen? Not a chance.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s not complicated. If a team finish high enough on the ladder, they get to play where they want. If North wants to play at Blundstone, let them. There doesn’t need to be some wacky change of finals structure or tiered system or whatever. Just change the rule.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s not complicated. If a team finish high enough on the ladder, they get to play where they want. If North wants to play at Blundstone, let them. There doesn’t need to be some wacky change of finals structure or tiered system or whatever. Just change the rule.

No thanks. You've been playing your finals at the MCG for 120 ******* years, was never a problem before you hired a bitch for a coach.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
No thanks. You've been playing your finals at the MCG for 120 ******* years, was never a problem before you hired a bitch for a coach.

Is Brian Cook a bitch as well? One of the best CEOs in the country? Because he said a few months ago that he has been trying to convince the AFL for five or so years. He was actually the first to bring it up that I remember. Scott just seems to be rising the club line to me.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Brian Cook a bitch as well? One of the best CEOs in the country? Because he said a few months ago that he has been trying to convince the AFL for five or so years. He was actually the first to bring it up that I remember. Scott just seems to be rising the club line to me.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He does look amusing at times. Scott is entertaining at the very least.

I think once you play 11 games a year at KP you can have your finals there. At least then every club plays there and every club has to go there for an away final. Of course that means you get a lot less exposure to the MCG. What would you actually get out of beating WC down at Geelong this week? It's not going to help you beat Richmond.

The Eagles sure as hell aren't playing a final at KP if Collingwood don't have to, that would be a rort. And Collingwood sure as hell aren't playing a final down there if they haven't played there in 15 years, that'd be another rort.

3 conference of 6 teams

Play everyone in your conference twice (10 games)

Play all other teams once (12 games) Rotate home games ie home v team a in 19 & then away v team a in 20

Keep the teams from the same state other than Vic in the one conference so that they play twice every year to maintain the local rivalries.

Flip the rest of conferences around every two years in order to mix up the Victorian teams travels

FINALS

Top 2 from each conference + the next 2 best teams make the finals

Top team from each conference + the best 2nd team make up the top 4 and get a bye for the first week

The next best 2nd place teams v the other teams to make the finals ina wild card round

Then we go to an old school top 6

1 v 2
3 v 6
4 v 5

(Finals system could be rejigged)

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I think once you play 11 games a year at KP you can have your finals there. At least then every club plays there and every club has to go there for an away final. Of course that means you get a lot less exposure to the MCG. What would you actually get out of beating WC down at Geelong this week? It's not going to help you beat Richmond.

The Eagles sure as hell aren't playing a final at KP if Collingwood don't have to, that would be a rort. And Collingwood sure as hell aren't playing a final down there if they haven't played there in 15 years, that'd be another rort.

I agree with that. More teams should play there more often. And yes it would have been unfair if Eagles has to play there this week and Collingwood didn’t last week. I am glad that ruling wasn’t made. Just 11 home games, and finals. Give Geelong another interstate game or two if they want so their travel comes closer to that of an interstate team. Done, everyone is happy.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I agree with that. More teams should play there more often. And yes it would have been unfair if Eagles has to play there this week and Collingwood didn’t last week. I am glad that ruling wasn’t made. Just 11 home games, and finals. Give Geelong another interstate game or two if they want so their travel comes closer to that of an interstate team. Done, everyone is happy.
What? why should they have to travel interstate more than other Vic teams?

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I would much prefer a 17 game season, with games spread out a bit - so teams might get 2 or 3 byes during the year, for a 20 round season.

Alternate playing teams at home one year, and away the next. It's a fair fixture, and a few extra byes might be good for players to freshen up from niggly injuries, or have some time off for mental welfare.

The season is already too long for those that can't make the finals with meaningless games and players being put out for surgery with 4 rounds left in the season.
You want to see my eight week top 16 finals system don't ya? fits in nicely with a 17 game H&A season.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
3 conference of 6 teams

Play everyone in your conference twice (10 games)

Play all other teams once (12 games) Rotate home games ie home v team a in 19 & then away v team a in 20

Keep the teams from the same state other than Vic in the one conference so that they play twice every year to maintain the local rivalries.

Flip the rest of conferences around every two years in order to mix up the Victorian teams travels

FINALS

Top 2 from each conference + the next 2 best teams make the finals

Top team from each conference + the best 2nd team make up the top 4 and get a bye for the first week

The next best 2nd place teams v the other teams to make the finals ina wild card round

Then we go to an old school top 6

1 v 2
3 v 6
4 v 5

(Finals system could be rejigged)
top 6 blows

Back