Analysis Fixture wishlist: What will your club want in 2020?

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

1572052270126.png

Jono_Hain97

All Australian
Dec 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
1. Playing north at the mcg. Apart from the 2015 EF, the last time we played them there was 2012.
2. Playing Gold Coast in Melbourne. Due to selling home games in Cairns when they first entered the competition, we have hardly ever played Gold Coast at the MCG. It would be nice to go and watch Richmond flog these duds down here, like every other team gets to.
3. More travelling in the second half of the year, just to shut up all the morons who are too stupid to accept that we are a good team. Interstate fans from across the globe believe that the only reason we won the premiership is because we didn’t leave Melbourne after round 15. While we know this isn’t true, Don’t give these haters any reason to make excuses for our success.
4. Playing Geelong at Kardinia Park. Now before you shout me down just me out. Nothing would bring me more enjoyment next home and away season, than embarsssing these campaigners at their precious home ground and seeing all their sooky fans (and their coach) cry their eyes out. By the time we are finished with them, they will be begging to never play us in Geelong again, and we won’t have to put up with their insesent whining about playing us in Melbourne- rather than at a cow paddock, in the middle of nowhere, which only holds 12 people.
5. More Friday night games. We have been the benchmark of the competition for three years now, but hardly ever happens play on Friday night. Why is this? It needs to be corrected immediately

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
As the biggest club in the country a few more Friday night marquee games wb nice. I don't care if they're at Burswood, Adelaide Oval, SCG, Gabbatoir (so scary lol) or even Arctic Park (might finally shut Scott's huge gob). Beat these jokers on their own dunghills and shut up a few salty non believers would be good.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Am I the only one that thinks that the three things the AFL website listed as what we would be requesting are probably all very low on our priority list?
The only one maybe would be the Friday night against Collingwood, but can't even see that as being a request as the AFL knows how big that game is and will want it on prime time anyway

really!!!!!

if match day attendance is the defining issue we should play all our games at the 'g'. simple.:fearscream:
We’d light it up on that ground, it’s bigger than the G,
It’d build more fans and supporters in the communities up north and get more of the Tiwi kids wanting to play for the Tiges.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
wasn't there a blockbuster game back in the 90's which was scheduled for a 'suburban boutique' ground. A lot of fans were locked out and becomign frutrated at not being able to gain entry to the game they removed a few fences to allow themselves access??

I thought the AFL at the time conceded it was poor management to schedule big games at venues unable to support an expected crowd, and in these instances would schedule it for the MCG.

Amazes me Geelogn can still play games against us, Collingwood, Hawthorn and a couple of other big drawing teams.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Play no Victorian team at Marvel, if we have to play anyone at Marvel then it should be Gold Coast, Freo & GWS.

Won't happen though, we hardly ever get to play North, Bulldogs, Saints or even Sydney at the G (Swans & Bulldogs we play at the G once every 4 years generally).

Interstate flogs like to whinge about our games the G but happily forget that the AFL force us to play "home" games on our opponents home ground just like the Cat flogs.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
We’re not gonna be happy with the Fixture this year ...

I have had a sneak peak at some of it.

I will confirm with you this,

West Coast in Perth ✅
Sydney in Sydney ✅
Brisbane in Brisbane ✅
More games than usual at Marvel ✅
Bulldogs at marvel ✅

butttt
Gold Coast in Melbourne ✅
Fremantle in Melbourne ✅
North Melbourne at the G !!! ✅

Twice
Carlton ✅
Collingwood ✅
Essendon ✅

I won’t say anymore, that’s enough for now

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Friday night Blues ban continues

Carlton’s banishment from Friday night football will continue in 2020, with the Blues set to play zero games in the marquee timeslot for the second consecutive season.

Despite a strong finish to the season under new coach David Teague, both AFL and club sources confirmed to The Age that Carlton will not feature on Friday nights.

The Blues will once again open the season against reigning premiers Richmond on the Thursday night in round one, in a fixture that will be an away game for Carlton.

Carlton are yet to secure a spot under Friday night lights despite a strong turnaround this year.

Carlton are yet to secure a spot under Friday night lights despite a strong turnaround this year. CREDIT:AAP

Incredibly one of the biggest clubs in the country only featured in seven games telecast on host broadcaster Channel 7, which brings the largest number of viewers.

That trend is set to continue into 2020, with a similar number forecast by insiders.

Fixture boss Travis Auld was quizzed about how much prime time football the Blues would have in 2020, given Monday’s launch of the pre-season competition was held at Ikon Park.

"They’ve certainly asked for more,” Auld smirked.

“They’ve been exciting, particularly the back part of last year. It puts them in the position where they certainly deserve a bit more of those Thursday/Fridays and certainly back in the Saturday slot, so yeah, you’ll see some more of that.”

Despite a horror start to the year under embattled coach Brendon Bolton, the Blues finished the season on a high under Teague, winning six of their last 11 games and drawing impressive crowds.

But AFL heavyweights want to see more consistency from a side that has lingered at the bottom of the ladder for several years before rewarding them with more attractive fixtures.

When contacted by The Age, Carlton said it would prefer to comment after the official fixture is released on Thursday.

In other fixture news, there will be several double-headers of AFLW and men’s games in both the pre-season competition and the season proper.
Sources close to negotiations have told

The Age approximately six double-headers will take place, with at least two of them during the men’s home-and-away season.

For those games fans wanting to watch the AFLW clash will have to pay to see the men’s game, given the times will be so close together.

“The AFLW season will run through the pre-season competition and into the men’s [home-and-away] competition,” Auld said.

“We’re certainly planning to have a few double-headers, both in the pre-season competition and the men’s home-and-away. Clubs have been really, really keen to make that work. It’s complicated in some ways with different venues and travel schedules, but we’ll get a number in there.”

The AFL Women’s fixture will be announced on Tuesday morning, with the first game set to be Friday, February 7.

Back