Opinion Fixture Wishlist

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the fixture due out later this month thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about the fixture.

Who do you want the double ups against?
What venues do you want to or not want to play at?
How many Friday night games do you want? Etc

How the fixture works.
Given we finished 7th we can double up against at most 2 and at least 1 of the 1-6 teams. We can double up against at most 3 and at least 2 of the 7-12 teams. We can double up against at most 2 and at least 1 of the 13-18 teams. Total of 5 double ups.

I hope we double up against:
1-6 teams - Collingwood and GWS
7-12 teams - Essendon and north
13-18 teams - Gold Coast

Really want us to play north at Blundstone for selfish reason that I’m from Hobart. Want to avoid playing Geelong at GMHBA or whatever it’s called.
Hoping for 3-4 Friday night games across the year.
Hoping for just one trip to Perth and Adelaide.

Last edited:

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nope I'd rather not play the Pies twice again. We should have won both times and didn't. They have the wool over us and have for quite some time.

From the top 6 I'd like to play Brisbane twice. We match up well against them and they aren't as good as some people think.

Essendon. Hope we play them every 3rd round next year. They're our bunnies.

Avoid - St Kilda, West Coast, Geelong and Richmond.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Double up against

Richmond - we have their number.
Brisbane - stars aligned for them, once their depth is tested they should slide down the ladder
Essendon - hahahahahaha they're s**t
North - just because they're usually fun matches
Sydney - again, entertaining matches

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nope I'd rather not play the Pies twice again.
3 Votes: Brodie Grundy
3 Votes: Brodie Grundy

Round 4: 1618 Points Loss
Round 14: 1806 Points Loss

Round 7: versus Richmond 1873 Points Win
Round 21: versus Essendon 1841 Points Win
They were our only two higher volume games than the Round 14 Loss versus Collingwood.
My end of season reviews are stats gold, silver and bronze.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t care about our double ups. Whatever we get we get.

I hope we get a home game against GWS at Marvel. I hope we get an absolute minimum of 3 Friday night games. Preferably 1 or 2 at home. Don’t play our last home game at Etihad too early in the season. My major request is more than 2 games at MCG. It really annoys me we play so few games there.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Double up against

Richmond - we have their number.
Brisbane - stars aligned for them, once their depth is tested they should slide down the ladder
Essendon - hahahahahaha they're s**t
North - just because they're usually fun matches
Sydney - again, entertaining matches
Couldn't have picked better ones myself. Our matches against North are always awesome to watch. Richmond allows us to test ourselves against a quality opponent while still having a good chance at winning both games (unlike West Coast in Perth). I just love watching us flog Essendon.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the fixturing rules are the same as the last couple of years, we get to meet 2-3 of the other middle 6 teams twice next year.

That suits cause they look a pretty average bunch for mine; Essendon, Hawthorn, Port, Adelaide and North.

For selfish reasons, I hope we play interstate in either round one or two.

In an ideal world, double ups against:

Brisbane
North Melbourne
Essendon
Gold Coast
Carlton

Double ups against Essendon and Gold Coast would be sweet.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Hawks, Tigers, Port, Suns as my preferred double ups. I think I made a post this time last year looking at all our double ups from the previous 10-12 years, and those teams were the ones we have double upped against the least. Wouldn't mind Saints as well, purely cause of family rivalries. We had double upped with North like 7 or 8 times, the Lions just behind. And Hawks and Tigers we have only had twice, 3 times or whatever it was.

Not play Eagles in Perth. Always seem to get them up there. 3 MCG games, one late in the season close to finals. Cannot remember the last time we played Port in Melbourne

random__hero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
Hawks, Tigers, Port, Suns as my preferred double ups. I think I made a post this time last year looking at all our double ups from the previous 10-12 years, and those teams were the ones we have double upped against the least. Wouldn't mind Saints as well, purely cause of family rivalries. We had double upped with North like 7 or 8 times, the Lions just behind. And Hawks and Tigers we have only had twice, 3 times or whatever it was.

Not play Eagles in Perth. Always seem to get them up there. 3 MCG games, one late in the season close to finals. Cannot remember the last time we played Port in Melbourne

Last time was towards the end of the 2015 season.
Smacked them if I remember correctly.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Found my old post, dug it up and updated it.

Teams The Bulldogs Have Played Twice Since 2009-2019 (11 Seasons)

- Kangaroos (2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018)

6 - Eagles (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Lions (2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)

4 - Cats (2009, 2012, 2016, 2019)
- Demons (2013, 2014, 2015, 2018)
- Dockers (2009, 2011, 2016, 2019)
- Magpies (2009, 2010, 2016, 2019)
- Saints (2009,2012, 2015, 2016)
- Swans (2010, 2011, 2012, 2017)

3 - Bombers (2010, 2011, 2014)

2 - Blues (2018, 2019)
- Crows (2010, 2013)
- Giants (2014, 2017)
- Hawks (2010, 2011)
- Power (2015, 2018)
- Suns (2011, 2014)
- Tigers (2009, 2013)

Coding = Premiers, Top Six Team, Middle Six Team, Bottom Six Team

Break Down and Analysis

• Total of 60 double up games over the past decade
  • Kangaroos, Eagles, Lions dominate the double up games. Hope the AFL do not schedule us to double up vs these teams in 2020. YAWNNNN!
  • Out of the 60 games, we have doubled up against, Top Six Teams 21/60 (4 Premiers), Middle Six Teams 19/60, Bottom Six Teams 20/60
  • The above shows we have had it extremely balanced when it comes to strength of fixture vs teams we have doubled up against
  • Longest double up drought is Hawks, last double up was in 2011
  • Last season (2019), we double upped against 3 top 6 teams, and two bottom six teams. Not once did we face a middle six team twice

Last edited:
Nope I'd rather not play the Pies twice again. We should have won both times and didn't. They have the wool over us and have for quite some time.

From the top 6 I'd like to play Brisbane twice. We match up well against them and they aren't as good as some people think.

Essendon. Hope we play them every 3rd round next year. They're our bunnies.

Avoid - St Kilda, West Coast, Geelong and Richmond.

I'd Ove Richmond twice. They are our bitches

shammersting

Team Captain
Apr 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I think we'll play GWS in Canberra on a Friday night again. The match a few years ago got good tv ratings and especially after the final this year, it seems an obvious choice. Channel 7 get the chance to spruik the rivalry they conjured back then (The great western 🤭🤔

Aside from teams I'd like to double up against, I'm not too fussed. If I had to pick a few I'd Prefer Eagles here and Tigers x 2 and Giants here. I think us and the Blues match up well and even though they beat us and nearly beat us, I think we will have some great matches with them going forward. I absolutely don't want to play Geelong at shithole Stadium. Send Collingwood there instead.

I'd like 3-4 G games
Good Friday
Ballarat in April and May
A home game at Marvel in the last round (seems like we play our last game there in July or first week of August every year)
No travel for the last two rounds
If we have to have a Thursday night, make it during school holidays

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its probably a given, but more Friday night games. We got a lot more in 2017 cause we won it all the year before and of course we've played crap for 2.5 years.
Our crowds in 2017 were probably our biggest yet.

Agree with a lot of suggestions already.

A good time to have Sydney, Adelaide teams and Freo away you would think.

Good Friday and bring back Pink Lady vs Dees.

I think we have earned some Friday Night slots. Still good to keep the Saturday Night representation and a thursday night as well.

A few more MCG games would be nice, rather than the one or two of them. Weird to have had Pies and Hawks but not Dees or Carlton.

No Canberra, Tassie or Darwin away matches.

Two Ballarat games vs Sydney & Adelaide on Sunday 1pm.

GWS at Marvel

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really, really, really want two games against the Tigers with at least one on a Friday night.

I think we've thus far missed an opportunity (our fault for not continuing on from 2016) to build a budding Hawks v Cats type rivalry with Richmond.

Game against them in 2017 when we were still strong and they were on their way to an unexpected flag was a ripper. Didn't play them again until last round of 2018 and although it was a dead rubber for them, it was still a good game with a close finish. 2019 saw the Naughton game.

We need some finals games against them now. Good news is we still have every chance, as I think both teams will be top 4 strong for the next 5 years.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Happy to double up on both SA teams as that gives me more games to watch! Obvious requests for mine- More fridays, more MCG, and lots of away games against other Marvel teams!

Back