Opinion Fixture Wishlist

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
22 games at Eureka/Mars please - half hour drive, easy parking, stand on the hill eating a pie and close enough for the players and umpires to hear me whisper sweet nothings in their direction! Any game days over 10 degrees I can wear my club-approved mankini to show up you soft urban dwellers...!!! 😀

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Does anyone remember if there was a reason the idea of a round 1 v Collingwood fixture every year fell away?

Maybe I was imagining it, but it felt like both parties were on board with making it an ongoing thing, but it lasted one season.

Happy to have it as a Collingwood home game every year and just get the benefit of guaranteeing a 60k+ crowd (preferably on a Friday night) every season.

Otherwise would very much look forward to GWS at home as our 2020 opener.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone remember if there was a reason the idea of a round 1 v Collingwood fixture every year fell away?

Maybe I was imagining it, but it felt like both parties were on board with making it an ongoing thing, but it lasted one season.

Happy to have it as a Collingwood home game every year and just get the benefit of guaranteeing a 60k+ crowd (preferably on a Friday night) every season.

Otherwise would very much look forward to GWS at home as our 2020 opener.
Coz Collingwood wanted a piece of the shiny reigning premier, but when we failed to go back-to-back, the Pies ditched us. They even got the home ground rights in the 2017 game, flogs. Use us for novelty factor then when it comes time to returning the favour, they * off.

My wish list (most of these would be fitting the running schedule for next year)

- A bye the week after Victorian Queen's Birthday weekend, being 11-14 June (in South Africa again)
- A Thursday Night game post bye on 18 June, preferably in Perth or Sydney
- Melbourne based game on Easter Weekend 9-13 April (it would be fantastic if we got Good Friday again)
- Gold Coast at Gold Coast on GC Marathon weekend, preferably TWILIGHT Saturday (4 July)
- One of the double ups to be against the Crows (think Port can sneak into finals like we did this year)
- Avoid GWS in Canberra unless it's a Saturday game on the first week of April (don't fancy our chances in snow)
- Avoid any Perth or SE Qld trips during the 1st 3 weeks of the season (Daylight Savings don't exist there, temps still warm)
- Ballarat games to involve a Perth team (likely Dockers) and a Northern team (possibly Swans)

Keep in mind the season will start next year on the 19th of March with a 26th of September GF (MCG needed for T20 cricket in late October, and the marathon has been tentatively scheduled for October 4).

GWS at Marvel, away as well hopefully
1 trip to Perth v Freo
1 visit of WC to Marvel
At least 4 Friday night games including 2 home against either Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon
Early interstate game, only 1 after the bye
Double ups include Crows, Norf, Freo & Melbourne/Gold Coast

Very quiet on the leak front. Fixture is released this Thurs.
The leaks will occur each day. Saints v North already being reported, suspect a few more leak in the next 48hrs.

The leaks are usually just garbage anyway. However, I have a very reliable sauce that says the first game will be Richmond v Carlton

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
GWS at Marvel, away as well hopefully
1 trip to Perth v Freo
1 visit of WC to Marvel
At least 4 Friday night games including 2 home against either Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon
Early interstate game, only 1 after the bye
Double ups include Crows, Norf, Freo & Melbourne/Gold Coast

The leaks are usually just garbage anyway. However, I have a very reliable sauce that says the first game will be Richmond v Carlton
My source states that the ANZAC match will be changed to Christmas Day.

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In order to placate all clubs, broadcasters have TOLD the AFL there will now be 9 ANZAC days per year, so all clubs get an ANZAC Day game. When the govt, Dept of Defence and RSL objected, broadcasters had a quiet word. Whilst veterans will now have their day devalued, the trade off in bigger tv audiences is seen as a huge win for society...

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Preseason fixture is out, now called the Marsh series

Friday February 21st: Dogs v. North (Marvel)
Saturday March 7th: Port v. Dogs (Bennet Oval)

Scott Tracy

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bennet oval
1572241945670.png

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My angle is that I have regular troubles making Saturday games that start at the traditional time of 2:10. Actually all of Saturday afternoon is usually a problem.

Don't fancy Thursday night games because work the next day.

So for me, the more home games on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, the more I can attend.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any chance we play north in the Good Friday game next year?
50/50 I say. Essendon fans seem determined that they will be the ones playing on that day. Then again their Good Friday match only attracted a few thousand more than ours did. We'll have to wait and see on Thursday.

Back