Opinion Fixture Wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Friday: Dogs v Roos.

As it should have always remained and should always be.
Yeah, I've always hoped that the AFL introduced the rotating Good Friday in the interest of fairness and to appease St.Kilda but that end game was North v Dogs fixed after a few years. You can not build a blockbuster with a rotating fixture.

Maybe the AFL can cook up another blockbuster for the Saints.

Yeah, I've always hoped that the AFL introduced the rotating Good Friday in the interest of fairness and to appease St.Kilda but that end game was North v Dogs fixed after a few years. You can not build a blockbuster with a rotating fixture.

Maybe the AFL can cook up another blockbuster for the Saints.
Maybe the China game will suffice.

Given we are the away team in rounds 3 (rumored) and 4, its more than likely we will probably host a game in round 2 at Marvel as well, though I am sort of hoping that we will be the away team round 2. It would mean that we would likely get a few home games at the back end of the season, an issue that was an annoyance for fans the back end of the past couple of seasons with minimal home games to close out the year.

But its looking like we will likely open the season with 3 of the first 4 at Marvel at this stage. Not a bad opening fixture at all.

Stoked we have some Friday Night games.

Shaping up to be a great fixture commercially for the Dogs, a boost in membership and crowd numbers along with strong on field performances and we should have another strong year both on and off the field. Friday night games, Good Friday footy and hopefully multiple finals, I like it! Even if Friday night games are hard to get to from regional areas...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far the leaks have been very very kind to us. Hopefully more than 2 MCG games. Also don’t get too attached to Good Friday. Maybe rotating teams with North every year was the AFL’s plan all along although I’m surprised they haven’t given it to Carlton yet.

So far the leaks have been very very kind to us. Hopefully more than 2 MCG games. Also don’t get too attached to Good Friday. Maybe rotating teams with North every year was the AFL’s plan all along although I’m surprised they haven’t given it to Carlton yet.
Couple more years, once they're top 8 material they'll probs get a chance.

Interested to see what our negatives will be. So far we've heard multiple blockbusters and an increase in Friday & Saturday night games. A positive about losing the elimination final is that we get grouped in the 7th-12th bracket in regards to our double ups, instead of the top group. It could potentially be worth one or two wins with the top six from 2019 all still looking strong.

Interested to see what our negatives will be. So far we've heard multiple blockbusters and an increase in Friday & Saturday night games. A positive about losing the elimination final is that we get grouped in the 7th-12th bracket in regards to our double ups, instead of the top group. It could potentially be worth one or two wins with the top six from 2019 all still looking strong.
The 7-12 group could almost be weaker than 13-18.
If I were to rank those teams for next year worst to best it would be something like -
GC - StK - NM - ADE - CAR - ESS - HAW - SYD - PP - FREO - MELB
Personal opinion of course.

... You can not build a blockbuster with a rotating fixture.

Disagree. All you have to do is build a special sense of occasion.
Leaving aside the obvious instance of finals being blockbusters, one example would be to schedule the ANZAC Day event between the two highest placed Vic teams (from the previous season's ladder, before finals). It'd always be played at the MCG even if both are nominally tenants of Marvel, such as us, Saints & North.

It would be something to strive for each year rather than a gift from the AFL fairy godmother to the same two pampered teams as it currently is. It would actually mean something special to get to play on that day and to win the B&F medal. You'd also have a much stronger chance of it being a high standard clash than some games between Essendon and Collingwood where one or the other have been pretty clueless. You could walk away from the season saying, well we didn't win the flag but we earned ourselves a start at the big dance next April.

An alternative is to make it the ANZAC Day challenge cup, where the previous year's winner is guaranteed a place the following year and their opponent is the highest placed Vic side.

The VFL-->AFL has always been lacking in any secondary prizes to help populate the season. Right now it's "win the flag or we've wasted our year" unlike UK soccer for instance where you can win silverware a number of ways - win the league (EPL), the FA Cup, the League Cup or even one of the European club championships. That breadth of silverware offerings makes it possible to miss the main prize (the league) but still come away with something to boast about.

Three likely objections are:
1. It might just turn out to be a grand final replay if both grand finalists were from Victoria. OK, great. (How good is that? as ScoMo would probably say). Alternatively you could add an option that if the reigning premier is a Victorian club then they are excluded and it becomes a match between the next two Vic clubs on the previous year's ladder, but I don't think there's a need for that.
2. It won't attract 95,000 if the game is scheduled between say North and the Dogs. That clash would attract only around 60,000 max. Maybe so, especially in the earlier years but you don't build up a huge sense of tradition and excitement in an event's first year. Give it 5-10 years to build its history and reputation and it'll start attracting bigger crowds whoever plays. Anyway, a 60,000 crowd has probably never been seen at a North vs Dogs clash before, so even that should create some excitement in the public. What's a "blockbuster" anyway? If you define it as a match that attracts 90,000 then you've straight away restricted it to only about 4-5 clubs in the league. If you define it as a special, prestigious and exciting event that attracts well over 50,000 then it can be open to anyone. I know which definition I'd rather have .. and it makes a lot more sense too.
3. What about the interstate clubs? They will always miss out. They don't have to. You could have a similar fixture (perhaps played at night) between the previous season's two highest placed non-Vic teams. Or if you wanted to keep the ANZAC Day fixture to one match only you could make the interstate equivalent some other time of year, maybe Queen's Birthday.

If they did it this year it would be Richmond vs Geelong. I reckon that'd be a great ANZAC Day clash.

So this would be the AFL's chance to add some breadth to the competition. I doubt they'll ever do anything fair and innovative like that though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back