Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Hey all, had a thought.

With the introduction of services such as Kayo and the increased ability to stream games on the internet, is there any merit in looking at altering the standard non holiday weekend fixture timeslots?

Take for example the NBAs Christmas Day scheduling, they essentially go game after game for 10-12 hours with no concurrent games. I know blah blah why copy Americans... But it gives a national audience to every game.

This allows everyone to watch every game live. It also allows the leauge to get even longer time on TV.

Thursday and Friday night could be left alone though there's scope for a b2b game depending on venue/time. Saturday could begin mid day and work it's way to 10.30ish. Likewise Sunday. Or push a game to Monday night as a possibility.

Just seems long term FTA isn't the likely format choice. As the next media rights kick in it'll only erode more anyway.

Having 2 games simultaneously only limits national audience and exposure.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thursdays will happen every round eventually partly because of this.

Not sure I understand the NBA reference, however? That's a byproduct of Christmas Day only having a handful of games, and their rights belonging to national networks instead of regional networks, as far as I know.

Last edited:

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Thursdays will happen every round eventually partly because of this.

Not sure I understand the NBA reference, however? That's a byproduct of Christmas Day only having a handful of games, and their rihts belonging to national networks instead of regional networks, as far as I know.
Just saying to use that day as a model. We don't have 30 teams like them but if every game gets standalone it's increased viewing and exposure.

No reason why we can't program it every weekend..

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems inevitable and already trending that way. Not good from the perspective of the fan who actually goes to games though.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Who pays the AFL,how do they get the cost back not to mention the profit, who produces the stream?
All it is, is changing start times. Ensuring no double up.

7 can say we want the 7pm timeslot game for instance.

Not sure why that's complicated?

Streaming is the future. Not FTA.

If the rights go to Facebook YouTube or something else, there's more money there.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
All it is, is changing start times. Ensuring no double up.

7 can say we want the 7pm timeslot game for instance.

Not sure why that's complicated?

Streaming is the future. Not FTA.

If the rights go to Facebook YouTube or something else, there's more money there.

So someone will pay for FTA rights, $s: more or less, how much less? Where will the advertising dollar go?

Will production of the game go to an independent, e.g https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=12718908

The FIXture is not the problem, its the $s ?? More widely available the picture the lesser the advertising appeal/dollars?

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
So someone will pay for FTA rights, $s: more or less, how much less? Where will the advertising dollar go?

Will production of the game go to an independent, e.g https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=12718908

The FIXture is not the problem, its the $s ?? More widely available the picture the lesser the advertising appeal/dollars?
Not sure what your point is and why this is relevant?

All I'm suggesting is to not run concurrent games that way the AFL gets more exposure and screen on time. Look at the benefit of the Christmas Day fixturing on the NBA. Only multiply it every weekend for the AFL.

Why is the dollar figures relevant? How is anything else impacted? Everyone's getting MORE exposure.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not sure what your point is and why this is relevant?

All I'm suggesting is to not run concurrent games that way the AFL gets more exposure and screen on time. Look at the benefit of the Christmas Day fixturing on the NBA. Only multiply it every weekend for the AFL.

Why is the dollar figures relevant? How is anything else impacted? Everyone's getting MORE exposure.

Yes, the FIXture is not the problem, the AFL wont do it unless there are more dollars: yes/no?
The ayes have it.
Who pays more? Not me, I pay Fox & get a great coverage (Eagles fan living in Melbourne, no FTA on the derby).

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Yes, the FIXture is not the problem, the AFL wont do it unless there are more dollars: yes/no? The ayes have it.
Who pays more?
Can you stop with the FIXture paranoia?

None of that is relevant.

The AFL will gain more from international companies bidding on the streaming tights rather than being limited to Telstra. That's a given.

How those companies make their money back is their concern. And if there's no concurrent games it's only obvious that there's more ad revenue being generated.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Who pays more? Not me, I pay Fox & get a great coverage (Eagles fan living in Melbourne, no FTA on the derby).
You are already paying more than you should as Kayo is cheaper and Telstra is free for Mobile subscribers.

You don't think Netflix or Amazon can produce this as affordable?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You are already paying more than you should as Kayo is cheaper and Telstra is free for Mobile subscribers.

You don't think Netflix or Amazon can produce this as affordable?

I'm paying & happy, what are you prepared to pay or do you want it for nothing? I use my Fox $s for my other love, motorsport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You realise F1 and all other motorsports of note are included In Kayo right?

Indeed I do, its not the coverage I choose & happily pay for. You are coming across as wanting it for nothing ... ?

I'll continue with the FIXture when the AFL stops loading it against footy in SA & WA, but each to his own.

Last edited:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
My expectation is that AFL media (or more likely Croc Media) will produce all games, with the AFL selling local packages for each team to each market. Ie selling all West Coast away games live on Ch 7, home games on delay (live home games avaliable on AFL owned streaming app, or you go to the game).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
My expectation is that AFL media (or more likely Croc Media) will produce all games, with the AFL selling local packages for each team to each market. Ie selling all West Coast away games live on Ch 7, home games on delay (live home games avaliable on AFL owned streaming app, or you go to the game).

& the dollars? Its relevant !! No money, no deal.

Many Australians dont live in their 'local market', delay is going backwards.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls

I'd actually like the NBA and the F1 (overseas) models where you pay the sport directly. I think cutting out the middle man is the long term future.

But given the AFL has gone outta it's way to keep itself on the back page throughout the year with a variety of strategies like AFLX AFLW etc etc it'd seem to me they'd love a weekend filled to the brim with non stop AFL.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Indeed I do, its not the coverage I choose & happily pay for. You are coming across as wanting it for nothing ... ?
1 that doesn't make sense and 2 I never said I wanted it for free.

I pay Kayo. I love it.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'd actually like the NBA and the F1 (overseas) models where you pay the sport directly. I think cutting out the middle man is the long term future.

But given the AFL has gone outta it's way to keep itself on the back page throughout the year with a variety of strategies like AFLX AFLW etc etc it'd seem to me they'd love a weekend filled to the brim with non stop AFL.

We get the UK Sky F! coverage including practice, qualiying, pre race, post race - far more comprehensive than the FTA days.

Not a basketball devotee so, is it not streamed, does one network hold the rights? Same question the NFL, it seems to be the preferred AFL template.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
We get the UK Sky F! coverage including practice, qualiying, pre race, post race - far more comprehensive than the FTA days.
So does Kayo. It's cheaper. No idea why you are paying double for Foxtel...
Not a basketball devotee so, is it not streamed, does one network hold the rights? Same question the NFL, it seems to be the preferred AFL template.
The NBA is as good as it gets. You pay for 1 team or you pay a fraction more for the whole league. With varying commentators as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back