Competition FJGD Jumper Tipping + BigFooty Footy Tipping

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Footy Tipping :

Name: Footy Jumpers board
ID: 1302
Password: memes

Enter via this link: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/tipcomps/
You will need to have to already signed up for tipping for the link to work properly.

------------------------------

FJGD Jumper Tipping

Welcome to a new season of Jumper Tipping. We had a great season last year, but there is always room for improvement and I will be trying to make these improvements.

I am creating the thread in January, so that we can settle on the rules and format to trail it out during the Pre-Season which starts mid February.

Firstly, we need to discuss how we are going to tip. Last season, secrecy was brought into the tipping, by having everyone tip through an external website. I would like to keep this element of secrecy this season, but it also meant another problem was created, anyone could claim to be any poster and submit tips. Therefore, I have two options for this years tipping.

1. We continue to using the site, with the addition of a passcode. This will mean that I can be assure of who the tipper is, and it'll stop people claiming to be me, and using fake usernames. The passcode can either be randomly generated by me, or you can pick your own passcode.

2. We can tip through PMs. Remember the good old days, where you'd have to copy the Image Address and paste it into the text field. This option would bring this idea back, but to keep the tips secret everyone tip through PMs, using the one PM for the whole season.

And as for rule changes, after seeing alot of WA people disappointed with the strict deadlines I had in place, I assured Bacon Warrior that this season would see a change. I was planning on have a 6pm Melbourne lockout for the Friday night game, with a 12pm lockout tthe following day for all other games. This means that people that miss the early lockout, which would be 3pm in WA would still have a chance to tip for the rest of the round.

Another rule change would concern the points system. Last year, if you missed a round, you'd score 4 less the lowest score for the round. I was going to now make it 2 less the lowest score, so that people would find it easier to catch up.

Like last year, I plan to have a Jumper Tipping Hub, where I post the results after each round. I found this effective as it kept all relevant information together and away from the weekly discussion threads.

Also, I would need someone or a group of people to design the new jumper thumbs for this season (Adelaide yellow, WB clash, Essendon clash, Navy wings, etc.)

Last edited:

I can start a discussion, but I'm not sure it's entirely what you're after.

Midway through last year I saw a bunch of threads regarding jumper tips, then stumbled across the external website that had been setup. Given the year was mostly done and dusted I decided I'd sign up for this year and have some fun.

Given your points above, and the fact I've never used any system, I'd say using the external website with a passcode is the way to go. The website seems to make it easier to make your selection (no need to copy/paste links) and a passcode is a simple method to identify users. Just be aware that people are dumb, they will forget their code, and you'd need to provide it to them almost every week. I also like the idea of scoring 2 fewer than the lowest score. Again, speaking from inexperience, I'd argue that 1 fewer would be suitable (or you could make it that a non-tip results in the normal home jumper being "selected" for each team and anything that matches is a point).

Given your points above, and the fact I've never used any system, I'd say using the external website with a passcode is the way to go. The website seems to make it easier to make your selection (no need to copy/paste links) and a passcode is a simple method to identify users. Just be aware that people are dumb, they will forget their code, and you'd need to provide it to them almost every week. I also like the idea of scoring 2 fewer than the lowest score. Again, speaking from inexperience, I'd argue that 1 fewer would be suitable (or you could make it that a non-tip results in the normal home jumper being "selected" for each team and anything that matches is a point).
I know alot of people prefer inserting the link and all that, it takes them back to how we used to do it.
Also, another problem with using the site is that people cannot check their tips after submitting them.

i don't mind the idea of the home jumper sets being the fall back option for every game. Though a problem may come during Indigenous Round, etc. when all teams have their one off jumpers.

Yeah, individual pass codes seem the way to go.
I insisted last season to have a passcode, but this was knocked back by Gibbsy, saying as Javelin said "people will forget their codes" or use the BigFooty passwords. I can give every the option to generate their own code, or I can generate one for them.

I insisted last season to have a passcode, but this was knocked back by Gibbsy, saying as Javelin said "people will forget their codes" or use the BigFooty passwords. I can give every the option to generate their own code, or I can generate one for them.
What about a random 4 digit number generator? Or if you can't find one, roll a die four times

My personal thoughts:

External site is the way to go. You can tip easily on the go any time (which helps when you forget and remember at the last minute). Copying and pasting images is nigh on impossible on mobile devices.

I don't know what the answer is about passwords an whatnot - I didn't really have an issue with how it worked last year. All I'll say on that point though is that if you feel the need to log in as somebody else on such a niche thing as a footy jumper tipping comp with literally nothing but pride at stake and ruin their tips for your own amusement, then you are an incredibly pathetic person and need to take a good look at yourself.

The chance to tip the rest of the round after the Friday games is a must, and this should keep people from dropping too far back in the standings. Last year, as soon as someone misses a round, they almost instantly fell too far behind and just stopped tipping. I think by the end there was only 7 or 8 active tipsters?

Lowest score minus 2 is probably the way to go for missing out, but if the rolling lockout is brought in then its probably not as big a deal as it was last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what the answer is about passwords an whatnot - I didn't really have an issue with how it worked last year. All I'll say on that point though is that if you feel the need to log in as somebody else on such a niche thing as a footy jumper tipping comp with literally nothing but pride at stake and ruin their tips for your own amusement, then you are an incredibly pathetic person and need to take a good look at yourself.
I also don't see why people would do such a thing as post under other names, but people did it last year.

In the spoiler brackets is one of the match-ups from last season. Is there anything you like to add or subtract from the form?

Aslo, if I am going to use the site and passcodes, I will need to set up a registration form for every so that the passcode information can be organized and sent out to everyone via PM.

i don't mind the idea of the home jumper sets being the fall back option for every game. Though a problem may come during Indigenous Round, etc. when all teams have their one off jumpers.
I guess this gives people extra incentive to get their tips in for rounds like these?

So, I've updated the site.

All the relevant pages can be retrieved through the drop down menus at the top, and I've moved the side bar to the other side of the page where all the other pages can be found.

The Jumper Database has been updated. Fizzler , we'll need the following kits:
  • Adelaide [yellow / home] [yellow / clash]
  • Essendon [clash / clash] - YET TO BE RELEASED
  • Gold Coast [clash / clash]
  • West Coast [home / home] [home / clash]
The Richmond and St. Kilda pre-seasons can be done, but are not important to have.

The registration page has also been updated, Google have updated the look of their forms so it'll look abit different. Under the passcode question, click Other if you would like to use your own code. I am hoping to everyone a PM with their code close to the season starting.

Adelaide:
213022_d225f8fa4028ba94b73f733cdee8bdfc.png

213023_ee3443bc09a2cd44095a08cfaed5862f.png
You need to remove the background from those. Comes up as a white background on the page.

I don't know if I will enter this season.
I feel like I lost interest as soon as I had to enter the tips externally.. Although it's easier, I'd rather do it all on here..
I feel that's the reason we lost a lot of tippers last season. And was hoping to bring it into PMs this year.

If there's enough interest, I'm happy to do both. To make sure everyone can participate.

Last edited:
Week 1 of the Pre-Season is up on the site, and is available here.
The graphics used are still from last year, but will change once we get everything finalized.

For those, that have registered using the website, I will be sending out a PM confirming the passcode that you have requested shortly.

And for those that wish to tip using PMs, you can send me a PM here.
Please title the PM: Jumper Tipping - <username>. Using your own username.
And make sure you say what week or round you are submitting the tips for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back