Podcast FJGD Podcast Ep 3 - Feat. TheLoungeLizard, Cody_, FreightTrain and Red Crow

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
FJGD PODCAST EPISODE 3

TheLoungeLizard brings you the third installment of the FJGD podcast, with special guests Cody_, Freight Train and Red Crow.

Agenda items this week include the fallout of ISC’s demise, the financial pitfalls of jumper sponsorship, a discussion surrounding the technological advancements of footy jumpers, and more!

Wrap your ears around it, and join in the conversation below!

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Another great discussion, well done to all.

As mentioned, the point of Toyota sponsoring the Crows is clearly not to try to force every Adelaide supporter to buy a new Toyota in the current financial year.

But the point of paying all that money to be a sponsor is actually the "long term subliminal advertising" that Freight Train jokingly mentioned, and it's directed at everyone, not just Adelaide people.

Freight Train said, "No-one's going to look at the Optus logo on an Adelaide Crows jumper and go, hmm, I really need to change my plan from Telstra to Optus." They might not immediately change their plan, but the point is that next time they are starting a new plan, they will be subconsciously slightly more inclined to view Optus favourably and ultimately to choose Optus.

We all think as individuals that we wouldn't buy things based on sponsorship, but clearly there is a return on investment irrespective of whether it's a cheap burger or an expensive car. A 1992 TV ad has long faded from memory but a 1992 WCE sponsorship cemented brand familiarity that is still helping burger sales today. It's quite insidious, actually.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
ISC was a great brand in their prime, especially a couple of years ago in 2018 but, it did go south very quickly. Quality-wise and design-wise.
Not only did they go to NEAFL as Codym2728 mentioned but they had started moving onto half the SANFL teams as well, taking over from some of our local brands like Nelson Sportswear and JAX, yet those local suppliers actually did such a better job integrating the designs, considering all the sponsors.

And, heh, Nike may have gotten off scot free with their bullshit, but not from me ;) There aren't many regular FJGD Carlton posters here anymore. Because there were so many other clubs represented here who were with BLK (especially the Crowies and Tiges) it infuriated a much larger group of posters here.

And FWIW... I do have a Hyundai 😂

P.S. Simpsons references always go down well with me ❤

Last edited:
Another great cast.

Was hoping to hear a discussion around the possible introduction of Castore and thoughts on a 'Premium' brand as opposed to the BLK's and ISC's, but I guess that leaves a good topic for next time! But yeah I'm gutted that we are going to see ISC go without the Crows getting a one-off for them, would have loved one of the jumpers with the faux wool and collar like Sydney and Essendon got.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!

As mentioned, the point of Toyota sponsoring the Crows is clearly not to try to force every Adelaide supporter to buy a new Toyota in the current financial year.

But the point of paying all that money to be a sponsor is actually the "long term subliminal advertising" that Freight Train jokingly mentioned, and it's directed at everyone, not just Adelaide people.

Freight Train said, "No-one's going to look at the Optus logo on an Adelaide Crows jumper and go, hmm, I really need to change my plan from Telstra to Optus." They might not immediately change their plan, but the point is that next time they are starting a new plan, they will be subconsciously slightly more inclined to view Optus favourably and ultimately to choose Optus.

We all think as individuals that we wouldn't buy things based on sponsorship, but clearly there is a return on investment irrespective of whether it's a cheap burger or an expensive car. A 1992 TV ad has long faded from memory but a 1992 WCE sponsorship cemented brand familiarity that is still helping burger sales today. It's quite insidious, actually.
If I'd been in the market for a car during our Renault sponsorship I would have seriously considered buying a Renault. If MG are with us for a few more years they will be my go-to-first brand when the time comes to replace our current car. All on the principle of supporting the brand that supports my club.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Anyone looking for a business opportunity? I'm going to tap into the goodwill generated by the long term subliminal advertising of sponsors who are now defunct, using their name and logo on new products.

So far I have:
Mortgage House Chocolates
Bill Express Chewing Gum
Snowdeli Burrito Hut

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong

My whole family still says "Here we go Camry Crow" when it's time to leave the house. None of us go for the Crows but living in SA in the 90's it stuck.
My first car...an old Camry.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
So I thought of a product that I did buy purely because of sponsorship, and thats Carlsberg beer. One of the first beers I bought when I could actually go in to a liquor store and browse/purchase to my hearts content, purely because they sponsored Liverpool. Actually really like it and still drink it today, nearly 15 years later.

It was this purchase today that made me remember (includes special appearance by the Toyota Camry).

D34017D2-F196-4635-9F44-135536718B0A.jpeg

Back