Prediction Flag Chances 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes running suicides on a basketball court is hard enough let alone doing it on 150 mtr playing surface. Having said that, a game plan that has your whole 22 in the opposition attacking half when they are in posession and then having to sprint back another 100mtrs to even be an attacking option is going to take its toll on the fittest of teams not to mention one who relies on such an inside physical brand of footy. We have the cattle but imo that game plan needs adjustment through ball movement and forward structure. They may only have to be minor tweaks that could be difference between making it to the GF and actually dominating the season and winning it.
You know i've been saying the same thing, just hate going to the footy watching from the wing and all our forwards are up the other end

You know what Punts ? His selfishness may have come back to bite him because imo he now carries a cloud over himself of a player who has gone missing in 2 GF's. He put himself out there and if your out there especially of his own undertaking then your fit. He then has to cop the wrap that comes with it. I like Parker and would not swap him for the world but if this is true he has a fair bit to do in terms of leadership and self sacrifice if he is indeed one day become Swans captain as has been touted. Also if true very unprofessional of the club to allow the decision left to the player and even more amateurish if indeed no scan was undertaken. All seems a bit dare I say it, a bit un swans like.
Only going on what I was told

He was sore after the cats game and refused to have a scan because he wanted to focus on the gf and not his injury or in other words be ruled out

From who I was told off I believe the bloke but that's me

Only going on what I was told

He was sore after the cats game and refused to have a scan because he wanted to focus on the gf and not his injury or in other words be ruled out

From who I was told off I believe the bloke but that's me

Thats good enough. Still mind boggling though that it could play out like that tbh.

You know what Punts ? His selfishness may have come back to bite him because imo he now carries a cloud over himself of a player who has gone missing in 2 GF's. He put himself out there and if your out there especially of his own undertaking then your fit. He then has to cop the wrap that comes with it. I like Parker and would not swap him for the world but if this is true he has a fair bit to do in terms of leadership and self sacrifice if he is indeed one day become Swans captain as has been touted. Also if true very unprofessional of the club to allow the decision left to the player and even more amateurish if indeed no scan was undertaken. All seems a bit dare I say it, a bit un swans like.

I agree it wasn't ideal to have injured players on field but I struggle to name someone who could have done better in Parker's position in a tough GF. 19 touches at almost 70% efficiency, a goal, two inside 50s, one goal assist, four hitouts, five clearances and nine tackles. Not his best by a long shot but who in the seconds could have been more effective ? I wouldn't call it going missing and I don't think it'll come back to bite him. I'd be more inclined to think the club and player knew perfectly well what they'd get out of Parker but figured there was f-all they could do about it. Dogs got lucky with injuries in the finals. They got the bye before the finals to get some players back then their luck held through the finals campaign. In the end I still think the umps were the difference.

IMO the difference between the top sides this year will be who can keep their players in top nick and on the park. We had our fair share of injuries in 2016 losing a few guys for some weeks who struggled to regain their form (Tippet/Sinclair), Macca missing a preseason then Macca, Mills, Parker and Tippet carrying injuries into the GF with A-A out just as he was flying, Reid out for season, Talia pretty much out for the season and not to mention that AJ still sits on our list as a non-player (though he deserves all the support he gets). Heeney had his issues mid-season too and Buddy chose a bad moment to get injured as the GF started. Had we been able to spread the load more throughout the year we might have had a better run but, looking forward, we're a young team with good depth on an upward trajectory. Lets hope this year a few more things go right. GWS had a remarkable run of luck to keep Mumford on the park in 2016. He's still their key and I think we're less vulnerable. IMO we can play sans JPK and/or Buddy better than they can without Mummy. Historically both JPK and Buddy are less prone to injuries than Mummy but I don't want to tempt the luck fairies, particularly without Mitchell.

IMO the difference between the top sides this year will be who can keep their players in top nick and on the park. We had our fair share of injuries in 2016 losing a few guys for some weeks who struggled to regain their form (Tippet/Sinclair), Macca missing a preseason then Macca, Mills, Parker and Tippet carrying injuries into the GF with A-A out just as he was flying, Reid out for season, Talia pretty much out for the season and not to mention that AJ still sits on our list as a non-player (though he deserves all the support he gets). Heeney had his issues mid-season too and Buddy chose a bad moment to get injured as the GF started. Had we been able to spread the load more throughout the year we might have had a better run but, looking forward, we're a young team with good depth on an upward trajectory. Lets hope this year a few more things go right. GWS had a remarkable run of luck to keep Mumford on the park in 2016. He's still their key and I think we're less vulnerable. IMO we can play sans JPK and/or Buddy better than they can without Mummy. Historically both JPK and Buddy are less prone to injuries than Mummy but I don't want to tempt the luck fairies, particularly without Mitchell.
I dont post a lot a lot on your board and dont disagree with the assessment that injuries are key. This Mumford thing is wrong though in my view. He is an important player and did play every game but Essendon last year in a surprise to everyone.
It's very 2015 to say he's critical though. When he went down iafter the Collingwood game our midfield was in dissarray initially. As time went on Downie did some good work in the ruck. Injuries to Shiel and Scully late in 2015 hurt us as well. What I noticed is we were consistently breaking down in the transition outside.
Last year with the development of Kelly, Whitfield amd Williams in particular this wasn't an issue generally.
Still want Mummy out there next year but can see a future, particularly with the rule changes, where we might have a tough decision between Rory's tapwork and Mummy's value in the midfield. Honestly I worry as much about losing Rory's contested marking and Shaw's work in defence and his leadership as I do Mummy.
In the big picture I'm hoping for an all Sydney GF this year after being so so last year. After watching Alir Alir in person at the QF no doubt he's due for a big one. Hope we can win both H./A games this year but the SCG will be tough.

The biggest factor for me is how we use Reid, Buddy and Tippett. With Naismith clearly the number 1 ruck how does Horse get the best out of Tippett. It's clearly been shown that buddy and Tippett simply do not work well together. I dont have much of an idea what will work and at this stage Horse doesn't either. If he gets this right then we go close to winning it again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest factor for me is how we use Reid, Buddy and Tippett. With Naismith clearly the number 1 ruck how does Horse get the best out of Tippett. It's clearly been shown that buddy and Tippett simply do not work well together. I dont have much of an idea what will work and at this stage Horse doesn't either. If he gets this right then we go close to winning it again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think we've had enough games with both of them fit and firing for us to write off the Buddy/Tippex combo.

Its been said since 2014 wait till they are both on the park they never will be.
That's the problem with relying on a $million forward. We need a $million spare.

Seriously, there were patches early last season when Tippet and Franklin worked nicely together. I expect Tippet and Naismith can work together but Tippet will probably spend more time forward of the two. There doesn't have to be an anointed No 1 ruckman. Whoever fits the bill best on the day. With Sinclair and Reid also contributing in the ruck we have a number of tall options and Horse has a bit of talent to work with. It all adds up to more flexibility depending on i) which team we play, and ii) whether we have to change up our structure mid-game (the elusive Plan B). A lot of 'ifs'...If Tippet and Sinclair can find the form they had early last year, if Reid can get back into his late '15 form and if Naismith can continue to build on last season.

Franklin and Roughead worked just fine together, and Roughead isn't that dissimilar to Tippett. Longmire just doesn't have the ability to structure a forward line

Franklin and Roughead worked just fine together, and Roughead isn't that dissimilar to Tippett. Longmire just doesn't have the ability to structure a forward line

Not having a structure is sort of a structure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches always need one season to settle in and get s**t together.

Kirky's second year as forwards coach.

Will be the best forward line in league :cool:.

I think it still comes down to getting a greater spread of goals apart from Franklin when you come up against top 4 teams that can match your
elite onballers.
Dogs , GWS have it.
Your game style rarely lets your backline get exposed.

I'd be tempted to do what Clarko did with Buddy in his last year at Hawthorn and send him further up the ground. At least with you guys he cannot run off to another team ; )
Give him small cameos deep sending Reid ( if fit ) and a resting Tippet through there also ( think Hawks doing the same with Hale, Roughhead and Gunston )

Papley is the one for me... showed some really good signs..... if he kicks on that gives your forward line such a better look. Heeney with those hands still has to be 80/20 Forward onballer in my mind. Now If you could just find a mercurial Micky O/ Rioli type you should be set.

I think it still comes down to getting a greater spread of goals apart from Franklin when you come up against top 4 teams that can match your
elite onballers.
Dogs , GWS have it.

I'd be tempted to do what Clarko did with Buddy in his last year at Hawthorn and send him further up the ground. At least with you guys he cannot run off to another team ; )
Give him small cameos deep sending Reid ( if fit ) and a resting Tippet through there also ( think Hawks doing the same with Hale, Roughhead and Gunston )

Papley is the one for me... showed some really good signs..... if he kicks on that gives your forward line such a better look. Heeney with those hands still has to be 80/20 Forward onballer in my mind. Now If you could just find a mercurial Micky O/ Rioli type you should be set.
Don't want to lend us Eddie for a season?

Bulldogs wouldnt have been thought of the 6th best side going into last season and look how that turned out. All we need to do is have a little luck with injury where we don't have 2-3 players missing for consistent periods, Play a committed consistent brand of footy during the H&A season that will net us a top 4 spot and don't s**t the bed GF Day and we will rightfully take our place as the best side in it. Btw when I say s**t the Bed I mean our best credentialed players turning up on the day and playing to a level that they are capable of and a level that represents a cast iron resolve to take the prize the football club and loyal supporters deserve.

I still think the Dogs are about the 6th best team in the league. They may surprise and kick on big time from last seasons Puppy fairytale, but I think they will fall back to the field. They won't surely get another season blessed with so many perfect 'one offs' falling their way, and while their skills are slick, there is little doubt they'll be under a lot more scrutiny now it wouldn't be a 'fairytale'. I also think the 3rd man up change will hurt them fairly hard - they won't be able to rely on big bodies to just fill in in the ruck all the time. Boyd may improve further as a backup ruckman, but do they really have an A grade ruckman that can match it with the best ruckman in the game, who will clearly give a bigger advantage in 2017 than they could in 2016.

Look at Leicester City for how hard the hang over can be from a miracle win - they could very well be relegated, despite by and large having the same team that won the Premier League in the most extraordinary circumstances last season. The dogs aren't going to drop off a cliff and become terrible, but I can see them coming back to the pack - especially given they were already 'in the pack' during the regular H&A season anyway.

Or I may be reading them completely wrongly as well.

Good call. He is that good and of such importance to our chances I am praying he doesn't have second year blues.

All the coaches need to tell Aliir is to just keep backing himself and playing footy his way. The confidence he showed late on in the season when he had clearly realised he was good enough for AFL footy was reflected in some really good football from him. The last thing we need him to do is to go into his shell, even if things aren't going well.

Can't wait to see what AA can do this year - a great story to see him finally break through last season, and I think its only onwards and upwards from here. He has the ability to provide a potency in being able to turn defence into attack that few teams have, and could prove to be a huge asset for us going forward.

elite onballers.
Dogs , GWS have it.

Micky O was one of a kind. Rioli is very good but he's no Micky O (and too damn smug for my liking). Besides, Bruce M wa*ks on about him way too much. Rioli gets rolled over and penetrated by his nemesis Nick Smith almost every time.

Buddy has been spending time up the ground but Tippet lost his early form last year. They were working well together for a while. I think Heeney will play almost permanent mid this year. There are a few other options who could feed at the feet of the big guys. Hewett will get better for one. Besides, all of our mids are goal-kickers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back