Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

just let things unfold as they will. There's no guarantee we'll win the flag ever, that's the nature of the footy. That's why winning one is so special because it's hard to do wherever you finish in the top 8 after the H&A season. There's no easy games in finals.

i think that above, in a nutshell, is the point iameviljez was making... he can correct me if im wrong. definitely didnt seem to me to be trolly.

I reckon our side is much better equipped to handle the onslaught of pressure and tackling that the Finals throw up, something that has seen Geelong be ambushed with in a few games over the previous few seasons.

Sydney in the '16 PF and a few times even in the H & A seasons did that with big opening quarters of 7 goals to nil or one, Freo in '12 (and their dominant rucks and speedsters in the '13 KP final disaster), the Crows in the '17 PF (a home crowd and the traditional grow an extra leg abilities of Lynch, Tex and the Crouches) and even last year against the Dees with Weideman looking like Carey (now playing like Stefan Carey) all seeing us off with our tail between our legs.

To be frank i reckon the team's dynamic in many of those defeats was an overly tall backline, with Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor offset by only Bews as a smaller pacy player, and a forward line of Hawkins and a group of flakier types in more recent years with Murdoch, Menzel (who just didn't have the mobility and pressure factor with the ball on the ground) and a midfield of great offensive types but limited ability to stop opponents the other way. In home and away games Geelong would most often be able to handle the pressure, but the step up in Finals would often see a knockout punch be landed in the opening quarter and Geelong would be down for the count. And in Finals, you don't often get a second chance once you're down by a long way early.

Crucially this season i feel most of these issues seem to be addressed. The side has a lot more pace around the ground with Dahl, Rohan, Miers, the rapidly improved O'Connor, Clark and so far the beautifully mobile Esava. Tim Kelly has stepped up this season to be a star player, offsetting the reduction of impact Selwood has had as a frontline mid. Gary Jr this season is playing wonderful footy, Tom Hawkins looks as imposing as he's ever been and now has a cohort of tough, tenacious and complimentary foot-soldiers around him to capitalise on him bringing the ball to ground, or as what is happening more often now, being around for Tom to hand off the ball to for a goal-scoring chance. Stanley has gained confidence as the main ruckman and his mobility helps a lot after those early-mid teen years with a hybrid group of moderate rucks who were lacking in September. And it was good to see Zac Smith show how he could come in and be effective when he played last week against the Swans.

So all in all as we know, nobody can confidently predict the future, but all i can say is that this Geelong side a this stage has proven it is equipped as well as any in the last several years to handle the sort of footy September can throw up. I feel the all-round skills of the side are better able to handle a runball high pressure sort of game plan the Tigers were playing and their game plan this season seems quite sustainable. If Geelong can stay fit and be able to judiciously rest players here and there in the 2nd half of the season, a Flag should be the main aim. But in any event, i do feel it would be a disappointment if this side is not in the Big Dance. But given the best any side can really hope for is to be in a Preliminary Final...taking it from there sort of puts the result into the lap of the Gods. But being ambushed or being in an interstate PF is something i think Geelong can avoid in '19.

Last edited:
Rohan has had a fairly lean five weeks, but even then... Cockatoo would need to go very, very, very well.

I feel confident in saying that if he remains fit, Gary Rohan is an absolute lock in Geelong's side.

At this point in time, Cockatoo isn't in the same universe as Rohan.

Yeah, I'm not counting chickens either. Us old crusties know from Blighty's Boys how easily joy can turn to a steaming pile of crap and we're either totally gunshy about crowing too early or too brutally real to do the same.

Lid. ON. Baggage. STOWED.
Whiskey ordered when cruising altitude is reached!

The finals system is so flawed these days I don't really care about flags anymore.

I would if we didn't win the 3 but now I just want to watch a game of footy snd see us win. Happening at 70%+ atm so I'm not complaining.

The finals system is so flawed these days I don't really care about flags anymore.
I would if we didn't win the 3 but now I just want to watch a game of footy snd see us win. Happening at 70%+ atm so I'm not complaining.
Yes but always has been flawed. Should be more reward for finishing on top.

Considering heaps of the experts in the media and plenty on this board saw us dropping down the ladder this year and maybe falling out of the 8, then finishing top 4 is a sterling achievement.
All a bonus from there.

Yes you would..
Maybe I’m just getting old, but as much as I’d love to see Selwood holding the cup, I’m not going to obsess about it. Yeh, maybe the lids off a bit but I’m just going to enjoy the ride. If you expect to win then you end up with ‘08 all over again and I think there’s a mutual respect between pies and Geelong. I was at 11 next to a stranger who was a pies supporter. Siren went and he turned and shook my hand. I’d be happy if I could handle myself the same way this year. Of course, I’d rather win it all.....

Considering heaps of the experts in the media and plenty on this board saw us dropping down the ladder this year and maybe falling out of the 8, then finishing top 4 is a sterling achievement.
All a bonus from there.
You’re right in the sense it is an achievement to be top 4. But whilst unexpected, being where we are is no accident.

We really should be making a gf (or going very close) from the position we are in. I hope the players/club want nothing less than a flag, and aren’t just content being “there abouts”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re right in the sense it is an achievement to be top 4. But whilst unexpected, being where we are is no accident.

We really should be making a gf (or going very close) from the position we are in. I hope the players/club want nothing less than a flag, and aren’t just content being “there abouts”.
Yep. Am not in the least concerned about anyone being content with just making up the numbers. Have no doubt the club and the supporters are quite over our poor finals record and want to address it. The review clearly identified and addressed several issues and it’s made such a difference. I have seen a team that’s been working well together and getting rewarded for that. And as a consequence they are realising they are in with a real chance and fully expect everyone at the club is doing their level best to go as far as we can this year and that looks increasingly like that means going for the flag. In particular Dangerfield and Ablett look determined to win a premiership and they are leading the way. So that can’t be a bad thing! They finish in a good spot, give themselves the best chance to have success-haven’t put a foot wrong yet but long way to go- let’s see how it goes.

Last edited:
I learnt my lesson in 89,I'm not counting my chickens just yet,a long way to go in this season.
Agree completely.

89, 08....there are others. Enjoying each week to the fullest but the speed and exuberance of the ride is still well under control.

Go Catters

Past finals performance means nothing. Team is massively different this year. We had Darcy Fort rucking in the EF last year!
I’m very optimistic this year, but footy is a funny and unpredictable game. If Hawkins gets injured we are back in the pack. The great thing about our start is we can rest injured players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2009 in some way made up for 2008. We should have won 2008 but in 2009 the Saints were the better team and would rue a wasteful 2nd 1/4 in that GF.
I remember when we pulled level on about six goals each or something, candiehappy and I just looked at each other and said "how the hell is this score actually even?".

Maybe I’m just getting old, but as much as I’d love to see Selwood holding the cup, I’m not going to obsess about it. Yeh, maybe the lids off a bit but I’m just going to enjoy the ride. If you expect to win then you end up with ‘08 all over again and I think there’s a mutual respect between pies and Geelong. I was at 11 next to a stranger who was a pies supporter. Siren went and he turned and shook my hand. I’d be happy if I could handle myself the same way this year. Of course, I’d rather win it all.....

Our flags (unfortunately not including the VFA ones)

Geelong: 10.19 (79)

Collingwood: 9.15 (69)

Geelong: 9.14 (68)

Richmond: 7.6 (48)

Geelong: 18.14 (122)

Collingwood: 12.18 (90)

Geelong: 11.15 (81)

Essendon: 10.10 (70)

Geelong: 13.8 (86)

Collingwood: 5.10 (40)

Geelong: 15.19 (109)

Hawthorn: 8.12 (60)

Geelong: 24.19 (163)

Port Adelaide: 6.8 (44)

Geelong: 12. 8 (80)

St Kilda: 9. 14(68)

Geelong: 18.11 (119)

Collingwood: 12. 9 (81)

Just under half of our Premierships were against Collingwood! Of course they beat us in 1930 and 1953 (robbed us of a threepeat, the bastards!)

Interesting stats here:

25998a0eb68f8cb7f582c24f62c2e5f3

It’s based on the premiers of the last 10 seasons; each of them has ranked in the top five in each of the following five key statistics:
The profile is made up of five key statistics:
- Points differential from turnovers (taking into account both points allowed and conceded from this source);
- Points scored from the forward half;
- Opposition scores per inside 50;
- Forward 50 ground balls;
- and post stoppage contested possessions

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/a58cf8b128b7f164a6c22378ef623fb7

Interesting stats here:

It’s based on the premiers of the last 10 seasons; each of them has ranked in the top five in each of the following five key statistics:
- Points differential from turnovers (taking into account both points allowed and conceded from this source);

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/a58cf8b128b7f164a6c22378ef623fb7
Thanks for posting the full table. Just posted the Geelong bit here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/random-cats-stats.1200011/

All a bonus from there.
Many predictions were wrong, yet reality is we are 11-1 and should be finishing top 2. Got to win it from there. Preliminary for the 3rd time in 4 years doesn’t cut it. When you recruit Dangerfield, Ablett, touhy and company then a flag is good enough. Remember next year Kelly probably will go, Ablett year older, Dangerfield, Hawkins & Selwood a year older. Unfortunately whether we like it or not this is the year to get it done. Pressure is mounting. Champions take on the pressure and win!

Interesting stats here:

Based on these stats it definitely will be a flop if we don’t win it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back