Flags and Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just a different twist to our flag. But can anyone recall more than five father son premiership players in the one team? 09 cats had four that I spotted.

Hunter
Libba
Cordy
Picken
Dunkley

Also had Wallis who was best 22 when not injured.

It's just a thought and maybe a generalisation but are father sons (preferably from your own club) better to target?

- Generally more loyal and easier to retain.

- have grown up with high level AFL in their veins and can maybe adapt to AFL more readily

- are more likely to be pure footy players as opposed to athletes.

- Possibly a stretch but seem to be more determined and hard at the contest. Possibly have their dad's shadows hanging over them?

Is it crazy to think we should prioritise father sons all other things being equal?

Didn't Dickson's old man play at AFL level too?

Correct. Interesting article I just noticed saying the GF broke a record for father sons with 10 from both teams. Sydney's went ok with Mitchell, Hanners and Kennedy and Smith.

Wonder if it's a recruiting focus or more a that's nice afterthought? Probably the latter, but should it be???

For their often low draft position they seem to go remarkably well.

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new...fore-as-grand-final-record-gets-ready-to-fall

Just like racehorses it's in the bloodlines. Makes sense.

You'd think it was obvious. But apparently not to list managers.

Hannebery p30; Kennedy traded for a late pick; Picken a rookie; Dunkley P25; Hunter in the forties; Cordy 60ish; and Smith a rookie.

Libba, Mitchell and Wallis were regarded as worth first rounders but they're in the minority.

Obviously there are busts like Ayce but still it just seems there were a number of relatively low value picks that obtained high quality players in respect to the GF.

Could be an anomaly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. Interesting article I just noticed saying the GF broke a record for father sons with 10 from both teams. Sydney's went ok with Mitchell, Hanners and Kennedy and Smith.

Wonder if it's a recruiting focus or more a that's nice afterthought? Probably the latter, but should it be???

For their often low draft position they seem to go remarkably well.

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new...fore-as-grand-final-record-gets-ready-to-fall
Technically doesn't qualify I guess, as didn't get a senior game, but I can remember Jordan's dad, Paul Roughead in the 2's way back when.

I remember reading an article once that said Kevin Sheedy was the only coach that considered the potential for a father - son when selecting players. I think the thrust of the article was that if a player was close to 100 games the father-son criteria became one of the factors in whether or not to select him. Not the only criterium but apparently Sheedy was the only one who gave it some consideration.

Heard Brett Anderson speak today, and he thinks Rhylee West is going to be a ******* gun. Won the Vic Metro MVP in U/16 level. He reckons he looks much better than what Libba, Wallis and Hunter did at the same age.

This article is a few years old. And obviously we didn't pick up a few of these kids as father sons.
But since this was made Cooney has a son that will be eligible. As does Gilbee in about 16 years time.
Could be missing a few also. IMG_6105.JPG

Last edited:
A guy on the saints board said the AFL hasn't seen nothing yet (while everyone was complaining about our f/a :p) until we see West, mixture of Lachie Hunter and Libba in his words. I could get around that :p

There was footage of Westy and Rhylee sitting together at the GF, Westy is wriggling around looking stressed while Rhylee is cool and focused on the game, the phrase "ice in his veins" went through my mind looking at him.

Just a different twist to our flag. But can anyone recall more than five father son premiership players in the one team? 09 cats had four that I spotted.

Hunter
Libba
Cordy
Picken
Dunkley

Also had Wallis who was best 22 when not injured.

It's just a thought and maybe a generalisation but are father sons (preferably from your own club) better to target?

- Generally more loyal and easier to retain.

- have grown up with high level AFL in their veins and can maybe adapt to AFL more readily

- are more likely to be pure footy players as opposed to athletes.

- Possibly a stretch but seem to be more determined and hard at the contest. Possibly have their dad's shadows hanging over them?

Is it crazy to think we should prioritise father sons all other things being equal?

No doubt they get a great grounding and training from a young age BR , but at the end of the day it's all about ability. We are blessed with this group , and have the prosect of a young West to add , happy days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back