murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
Bevo was quick to include Fletch following a line of questioning on Hamling's finals prospects at his presser today. Clearly very much in his thinking and appreciative of the role he plays and his contribution to the team.
I agree bevo seems to be the type of coach if you are doing everything the coaches are asking you'll play, if not you be dropped ie stringer

I often enjoy watching one player during games live, looking at their running patterns, the work the do off the ball ect. Side note billy slater is very good to watch live in the NRL.

anyway as this week was a boring game, I watched a bit of fletcher and Tom Boyd. It's the small things that people don't notice that he is good at, sure he does get lost at times and some kicks to the forwards advantage make him look worst than he is.

Btw he scored a nice header playing soccer tonight

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Still got no clue how Daniher was allowed to jump on his shoulders numerous times. Surely someone gets a body on him!

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree bevo seems to be the type of coach if you are doing everything the coaches are asking you'll play, if not you be dropped ie stringer

I often enjoy watching one player during games live, looking at their running patterns, the work the do off the ball ect. Side note billy slater is very good to watch live in the NRL.

anyway as this week was a boring game, I watched a bit of fletcher and Tom Boyd. It's the small things that people don't notice that he is good at, sure he does get lost at times and some kicks to the forwards advantage make him look worst than he is.

Btw he scored a nice header playing soccer tonight
I agree. I haven't been to many training sessions but I was at one a few years ago when they were doing those 3 on 3 break/defend the line run throughs. It was at the time there was some discussion about whether he was best suited forward or back. After watching his group I was convinced he was a defender. It was his judgement, use & occupation of space to position an opposing player to his best advantage which struck me. A bit like a stockman herds livestock toward or through a gate. It's an innate sense/ability. He reads the ball and player movement well when it's on its way into his area. But as we know, he is often out-muscled by the power forwards when isolated. Still, I like him and think he's got a future.

dish licker

All Australian
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
still learning, needs a confidence boost, looks a lot better with Moz there, not sold yet but must be worth sticking with or he would be gone by now, injuries helping him to stay in but he needs to take his chance now, stand up and show some balls, must learn to trust his own game. he's got something to offer he just has to trust himself or it's adios amigo.

Jul 23, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Well done fletcher Roberts premiership player
Played a huge part in helping our VFL side to both grand finals but missed the decider each time, Played a big part in helping the AFL side to the grand final yet there were supporters calling for his head still. I would've been gutted if he wasn't selected for this one. He played a great game. Didn't see him a whole lot but didn't see his opponent much either. When it came his way he did a fantastic job. Has continually proved his doubters wrong all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Great feeling to be proved so, so wrong. He may not be the most athletic bloke out there. He may not be the best mark, or have the best disposal. But he has a temperament and will of iron: something that can't really be measured by any eye test.

Premiership champion who always stands up when it matters.

Should have known that about his temperament when he kicked the goal after the siren from 60 to win in the ressies in 14!

Fletch said he and his family were not confident he would keep his spot with Suckling being talked about. So he was very happy when Bevo tapped him on the shoulder and said the coaches were happy with his game and he'd be playing. I think that's another example of why the players love Bevo so much. It would have been devastating for someone in the winning PF team to have been dropped.

Vinegar Mess

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I felt gutted for Fletch when he lost his place in our 22 on the eve of the finals. Like many posters on here I'd felt frustrated with many of his H&A performances but, still, he'd played 16 or our last 17 and contributed in several.

When returning for the Prelim he played like a man on borrowed time, covering so much ground swooping across half-back to help out his fellow backline teammates (particularly Joel Hamling), making clean, effective spoils, and playing his part in shutting down Cameron. He earned his right to represent our club in the GF.

Yesterday Sid was less prominent but stood up (almost) faultlessly when a spoil or a negating play was necessary. It's been a beautiful time for him to find self-belief. Earned his right to be a premiership player and, as DroopStDanny has posted above, deserves a little more love for his finals performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back