El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
eLVjSlh.jpg

Welcome to the Football League of Oceania 2021 season!

This season we'll have a 10 team league comp who will play each other once in a single round robin. The top 6 teams will play finals.

A reminder that there are 4 votes per goal, which means 8-7 is a 2-1 win, but 11-8 is 2-2.

We'll also have a cup competition, which will kick off alongside round 3. I will still accept single kit cup entries until that kicks off, so if you have a burst of inspiration for a cup side, please send it in!

Don't forget the transfer windows! You can resubmit now until I post round 2, and then there'll be another period that closes when I post round 8, which will coincide with the cup quarter finals.

2021 fixture:

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Denmark United v Racing Club Auckland​
AFC Adelaide Town v Denmark United​
Denmark United v Devonport Dynamo​
Lalor Azzurri v Denmark United​
FC Bundaberg 21 v AFC Adelaide Town​
Devonport Dynamo v Racing Club Auckland​
AFC Adelaide Town v Lalor Azzurri​
Norwood Athletic v Devonport Dynamo​
NAC Darwin v Devonport Dynamo​
Lalor Azzurri v FC Bundaberg 21​
Racing Club Auckland v Norwood Athletic​
Swan River United v AFC Adelaide Town​
Wellington FC v Lalor Azzurri​
Norwood Athletic v NAC Darwin​
FC Bundaberg 21 v Swan River United​
Wellington FC v Racing Club Auckland​
Swan River United v Norwood Athletic​
Swan River United v Wellington FC​
NAC Darwin v Wellington FC​
NAC Darwin v FC Bundaberg 21​
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Denmark United v Norwood Athletic​
Swan River United v Denmark United​
Denmark United v Wellington FC​
NAC Darwin v Denmark United​
Lalor Azzurri v Swan River United​
Wellington FC v Norwood Athletic​
Swan River United v NAC Darwin​
FC Bundaberg 21 v Wellington FC​
Devonport Dynamo v Wellington FC​
NAC Darwin v Lalor Azzurri​
Norwood Athletic v FC Bundaberg 21​
Racing Club Auckland v Swan River United​
AFC Adelaide Town v NAC Darwin​
FC Bundaberg 21 v Devonport Dynamo​
Lalor Azzurri v Racing Club Auckland​
AFC Adelaide Town v Norwood Athletic​
Racing Club Auckland v FC Bundaberg 21​
Racing Club Auckland v AFC Adelaide Town​
Devonport Dynamo v AFC Adelaide Town​
Devonport Dynamo v Lalor Azzurri​
Round 9
Denmark United v FC Bundaberg 21​
NAC Darwin v Racing Club Auckland​
Wellington FC v AFC Adelaide Town​
Swan River United v Devonport Dynamo​
Norwood Athletic v Lalor Azzurri​

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man, it feels like I've hit a mark then...this
Definitely making the most of the transfer window 🤙

It's tough, you're currently making up a bottom 4 that includes the reigning champ and the board goat who came out of retirement for this, so it's not all bad! Plenty of time left.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lots still to play for as we enter the final minor round! All but 1 team still in the hunt for the 6 and a finals place with the right results

xSA46HY.jpg

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Swan River United with the narrowest of 2-1 victories with 8 votes to 7 to steal the final spot in the top 6!

Finals will be held over 3 weeks with the top 2 teams having a bye the first week. Good luck to all!

5Mu2ICB.jpg

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Alrighty, hopefully I can ask for feedback in this thread, because 8th is not where I expected to finish. What went wrong? Was it a simple case of no background = no votes? Were the intricacies of the design not easy to see? Do I need to invest my time in a realistic 3D kit? 🤷‍♂️
06qx1o5.png
Tp7H3jl-1.png
h5auaP7.png

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Alrighty, hopefully I can ask for feedback in this thread, because 8th is not where I expected to finish. What went wrong? Was it a simple case of no background = no votes? Were the intricacies of the design not easy to see? Do I need to invest my time in a realistic 3D kit? 🤷‍♂️

You've pretty much nailed it on all counts.

Your design is excellent, really nice! But on the home kit it's a bit too black to be clearly made out. It'd look great on a shirt but on screen there's just not quite enough contrast to get the best out of it. If you raised those dark greys up a touch it'd make your kit pop a bit more.

Also, yes, template and presentation matters. Always has and always will do. Your template is pretty clean but it's not going to wow anyone. The no presentation isn't the end of the world, but again it's not going to win you any bonus votes, which means people who you might have a slightly better design than are going to sneak ahead often enough.

That said, this was a tough comp! Everyone was in the hunt for the finals until that last round apart from Darwin, and even that was a good quality entry. The Wayne Gretzky of this board only snuck into the finals after beating you by a single vote in the last round. We only had 10 entrants in the league but it really was a comp full of heavy hitters.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
You've pretty much nailed it on all counts.

Your design is excellent, really nice! But on the home kit it's a bit too black to be clearly made out. It'd look great on a shirt but on screen there's just not quite enough contrast to get the best out of it. If you raised those dark greys up a touch it'd make your kit pop a bit more.
I knew it. Because I knew they were there, I guess I assumed everyone else would be able to see them, but yeah probably a bit too dark in the home and cup kits.

Also, yes, template and presentation matters. Always has and always will do. Your template is pretty clean but it's not going to wow anyone. The no presentation isn't the end of the world, but again it's not going to win you any bonus votes, which means people who you might have a slightly better design than are going to sneak ahead often enough.
Yeah very true. I've been working on a little something for a while so this was a very recent decision to go for a clean 2D template after the years of 3D attempts. I've got ideas so we'll see 😛

That said, this was a tough comp! Everyone was in the hunt for the finals until that last round apart from Darwin, and even that was a good quality entry. The Wayne Gretzky of this board only snuck into the finals after beating you by a single vote in the last round. We only had 10 entrants in the league but it really was a comp full of heavy hitters.
Everyone has definitely stepped up their game since my little design hiatus, so nothing against everyone else's design - just expected more from my entry! Thanks Scorch, we'll see what happens in the next design comp ey? ✌

Well you did top a realistic template at least, Home would definitely be tough as a real kit, Away is great and pops out with the glitchy effect, Cup is pretty neat though with the buttoned collar it looks like a team polo. The blank background could be seen as lazy but I reckon it only draws the attention straight to the kit, perhaps a blown up watermarked logo to break the monotony

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Everything El_Scorcho have already said.

---

This season has been a real eyeopener, it seems realistic templates aren't always a path to the top
Roast Me

HOME

AWAY

CUP

Revised Away

Revised Home
Too bad, you'll see it next season ;)

Your home was the main issue for me. I understood where we were going, but it was too close to actual Italy.

The maroon away was awesome, but perhaps you could have used another colour for the shorts.

I think that the sin in your Cup design was hiding the sponsor and the manufacturer brands. Still, you lost to one of the best kits in the competition.

I really like your revised golden away.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hi team. I had a message from Rubber Arm asking whether there would be a FLO 2022 season.

I've taken over running NAFL this season and as such, I don't really have time for a FLO 2022.

Does anyone else want to run it? I'm happy for whoever picks it up to effectively do it their way. FLO has already been run by 3 different people and the format and theme have changed significantly between seasons. I'd be happy for whoever is willing to put in the work to format it how they like and i'm willing to give advice if someone is keen but hasn't run a competition before.

If not, I may run it when NAFL is complete, but that could be a few months away, or never.

Back