Flop of the Season

Who has been the biggest flop this season?

• Total voters
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Who has been the biggest flop this season. This is not about crap players who continued to be crap but highly rated players who have underperformed for their new club.

Poll Options Rationale:

- Donny VDB:
1620376095678.png

£40m transfer from the Ajax Football Factory who has looked tidy on the few occasions he has played but you'd expect a whole lot more for the price tag. Poor transfer for United who were supposed to be buying a Pogba replacement but instead bought a backup to Bruno. Not starting ahead of McFred is telling.

- Thomas Partey: Big money signing from Atletico Madrid who started the season well but looks more and more isolated and disinterested in midfield for Arsenal. Should improve when Peps rent boy / cone collector finally gets sacked.

- Willian: Don't think I need to go into detail with this one...
1620373311826.png

- Thiago Alaloltara:
1620376161300.png

Seen as a bargain signing from Bayern who would help Liverpool in their title defence. He has had his worse season in a decade and has contributed nothing to the Liverpool midfield except his standard 12 thumbs up per game.

- Nathan Ake:
1620376269859.png

Has had a tough season with injury but when fit has barely played. Will have to have the splinters removed from his backside in a few weeks. Has spent more time as an unused sub than he has played. Considering the fee paid, he is on the list.

- Timo Werner:
1620376324632.png

Touch of a rapist. The white Lukaku without the goals. Definitely a contender for this 'award'. Has scored 12 goals in 47 games this season so far versus 34 in 45 last season. Signed as a goalscorer but hasn't done the business.

- Kai Havertz:
1620376372814.png

Big money signing at circa £70m in the summer has significantly underperformed expectations, 17 G/A in 41 games this season versus 27 in 45 last season. Clearly talented and one for the future but I think everyone was expecting a whole lot more from him.

- Hakim Ziyech:
1620376441060.png

4 G/A in 20 appearances, and they came against the mighty Burnley and Sheffield United. Bloke should be in his prime at 28 years old but has been poor, particularly for fee paid. Think Van Der Sar pulled the wool over United and Chelsea's eyes in the summer. Chelsea's summer window reminds me of Woody signing Myki, Pogba and Zlatan based off there who scored ratings.

- Gareth Bale:
1620376516700.png

When you are on £300k per week, were once in the top 3 players in the premier league and the world, there is a sense of expectation. Still unsure if he is washed or he doesn't give a s**t. Despite not costing Spurs a fee except for a share of his wages, given the expectation behind his arrival, he has been very underwhelming.

- Rhian Brewster:
1620376578936.png

Seriously, can clubs stop donating money to Liverpool for their s**t rejects. Like Ibe and Solanke, they managed to fleece a club destined for relegation with a reserve player who had never done the business in the prem. Questionable whether there was any expectation on him when signed, but any expectation evaporated when he started to play. Zero goals and assists in 28 games ffs. Ali Dia in disguise?

Bojan pls. Spent two years literally on the beach (bunker) as Zidane froze him out. Came to us not fully fit and then found the Jose hand brake. Yet still...

PL goals per 90.

1. Gareth Bale (1.12 goals per 90 mins)
2. Jesse Lingard (0.83 goals per 90)
3. Kelechi Iheanacho (0.78 goals per 90)
4. Diogo Jota (0.75 goals per 90)
5. Harry Kane (0.69 goals per 90)

- Goal or assist every 67 minutes.
- More goals (PL) than Chelsea's top scorer.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I went VDB cause he doesn’t even play

From arsenal willian has been extremely underwhelming, our worst signing easily as he’s got a contract for three years on good money

Partey ha been pretty shocking as well, has had a lot of injury issues though so has some sort of excuse for being as bad as he has been

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Might be a bit off topic but Ake would have to be the dumbest move by a footballer, CB coming into his prime chooses to go to a club with Stones, Dias and Laporte.
he signed before dias and stones was hardly the player he has been this season

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I won’t include Willian or Brewster because I didn’t really expect anything from them. Most of the others I can make some sort of excuse for and be willing to give another season.

Donny VDB is the one for me. Getting so little game time in a team that’s played so much football, and showing so little when he does play. United’s midfield still needs improvement/more depth but he just doesn’t look capable of improving it.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
When was the last time a signing from the Dutch League actually did well in the Premier League straight away?

Thinking of say the likes of Depay, Bergwijn, Davy Klassen etc. Just seems to be a league where players coming in really struggle with the pace and intensity more than anything.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Might be a bit off topic but Ake would have to be the dumbest move by a footballer, CB coming into his prime chooses to go to a club with Stones, Dias and Laporte.
He went there before Dias was signed TBF. He had a major hamstring injury too, but he's not top quality and was a back up move for City.

Ake swaps a season in the championship with a league winners medal and a cup winners medal (maybe two).

There's been worse moves. Been injured most of the season, would expect him to play more next season, and then move on for regular football.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
He went there before Dias was signed TBF. He had a major hamstring injury too, but he's not top quality and was a back up move for City.
Yeah it was more a hindsight dumb move, but i guess he got to watched his teammates win stuff like he did at Chelsea.

He'll hang around the bench for another season before moving somewhere to play.

Yeah it was more a hindsight dumb move, but i guess he got to watched his teammates win stuff like he did at Chelsea.

He'll hang around the bench for another season before moving somewhere to play.
Had he not been injured he would have easily made 25-30 appearances this season.

You can't play when you're not fit.

Back