Flop of the Season

Who has been the biggest flop this season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watched Brentford a few times last season. Watkins stood out - a forward with pace, can hold it up, can finish. Benrahma showed some promise with his ball control but at around the same money as Watkins, he was overvalued. A flop but not top of the flops.

Benrahma showed a bit more than promise.

He was the standout player in the Championship last year. He was better than Watkins.

The best 5 players in the championship last season were Benrahma (Brent), Perreira (WBA), Hernandez (Leeds), Phillips (Leeds) and Eze (QPR).

Watkins and Ayling probably the next best after that

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Benrahma showed a bit more than promise.

He was the standout player in the Championship last year. He was better than Watkins.

The best 5 players in the championship last season were Benrahma (Brent), Perreira (WBA), Hernandez (Leeds), Phillips (Leeds) and Eze (QPR).

Watkins and Ayling probably the next best after that

Watkins was the Championship Player of the Year 2019–20.

Of the Chelsea "flops", Havertz and Werner have significantly improved as the season has gone on from what I've seen.

Werner needs to find goals but his all round play has been good. Havertz to me looks like he's about to become a real threat. Ziyech is the one that hasn't really kicked on yet (can't play us every week). Reckon all three will end up good signings.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Read my edit.

Benrahma and Peirera were the standout players last year, not Watkins.

Watkins win was met with a fair bit of criticism.

Watkins was awarded the Championship Player of the Year 2019–20. He has gone on to cement his place in Aston Villa's team. 13 PL goals, an England cap and a goal.

They went for similar transfer fees but Benrahma is a bit part player in the PL and has zero goals.

Yeah Werner hasn't been brilliant, but there are more bigger flops than him this season.

I am not sure how people have commented more on Partey to be honest. He was 46m too.
Partey for Kondogbia and a profit is a nice rinsing by Atletico. Haven't missed a beat.

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
None of these players, despite how disappointing they’ve been, deserve to be lumped in the same conversation as Willian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to pick on a striker who fluffs easy chances (and they are bad). However, he knows how to get into the right positions and is in the top 10 for assists. Once he works on his finishing, he'll be elite. You can't say Werner has been a bigger flop than mids like Thiago and Partey who have offered nothing to their respective teams.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Which club has been the flop of the season, Spurs or Liverpool?
Got to be us I'd assume as everyone thought we would fight for the title. Obviously mitigating circumstances though as injuries have killed us. If VVD, Gomes and Matip and Henderson dont miss pretty much the whole season, I think we absolutely would be still fighting for the league.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I'd say us although if you guys somehow miss top 4 and don't win CL it would have to be you guys considering the summer spending spree.

Nah, I'd have taken 5th and 2 cup finals if you had offered it to me at the start of the year.

Just making the UCL final is a cracking effort imo.

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Liverpool added a world class Thiago and Jota (who is exceptional) to their title winning squad and are in a top four scrap with Leicester and a side that were performing so badly mid season, they had to find a new manager.

Which club has been the flop of the season, Spurs or Liverpool?
The predictions thread should give that answer.

It ain't us bruv. Most had us where we are.
It's the team with one of the worst title defences.

Back