Preview Pre-game discussion - Collingwood vs Essendon Anzac Day 3.20 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckon if anything, our strongest side of the two games will come against Richmond rather than Essendon.

I think no changes for this week, but some preconceived changes for the week after, though somewhat form and fitness related. Maybe the likes of Adams for Brown, Wells for Stephenson etc.

Think the younger guys are less likely to play both games.

I think the 22 from Adelaide deserve a crack on Anzac Day. We had no weak no links. The 2 you'd look at for Richmond are Adams and Elliott, pending fitness. Most likely for Brown and Crocker.

The interesting one is Moore. Clearly he's best 22. But I like the look of our backline without him. Does he come in for Cox? You'd think so. Or if he's to play back, it's for Langdon IMO. But for Langdons weaknesses, I like the good stuff he brings to the side. Good issue to have.

Wells needs 3-4 VFL games to prove his durability and that his conditioning levels are AFL ready.

There would be next to no training between Wednesday and Sunday, it would almost be purely recovery based training for the 3 days leading into Richmond. Maybe a light run on the Friday.

These 2 games shape our season, 4-2 looks very nice.

Last edited:
but would he make his Opponent Accountable?
Yes, but he will do greater damage going the other way. That is driving the ball out of our defensive half.

My worry is Maynard. I seem to remember he got destroyed last year by Either Green or Fantasia. Don’t know who to replace him with though.

He touched up Eddie last week.

Give him a crack at Fanta pants Green or Fantasia. Need to remember Maynard is only 21 so let the young bloke redeem himself, you are right, he was ordinary against the Dons last year.

I think the 22 from Adelaide deserve a crack on Anzac Day. We had no weak no links. The 2 you'd look at for Richmond are Adams and Elliott, pending fitness. Most likely for Brown and Crocker.

The interesting one is Moore. Clearly he's best 22. But I like the look of our backline without him. Does he come in for Cox? You'd think so. Or if he's to play back, it's for Langdon IMO. But for Langdons weaknesses, I like the good stuff he brings to the side. Good issue to have.

Wells needs 3-4 VFL games to prove his durability and that his conditioning levels are AFL ready.

There would be next to no training between Wednesday and Sunday, it would almost be purely recovery based training for the 3 days leading into Richmond. Maybe a light run on the Friday.

I think players like Moore, Elliott and Wells are players we'd look to keep in once they do come in. Hence it'd be irresponsible for team cohesion to put them in for Essendon knowing that they were going to come straight out for Richmond.

If Moore comes in it'll be interesting to see what we do with our structure. Will he affect the way we utilise a midfielder coming out of the square?

He touched up Eddie last week.

Give him a crack at Fanta pants Green or Fantasia. Need to remember Maynard is only 21 so let the young bloke redeem himself, you are right, he was ordinary against the Dons last year.
To be fair Eddie has been horrible this year. Didn’t kick a goal against us or Richomond. Has only kicked goals against st kilda.

Orazio is the most dangerous. Josh green no threat. Then there is Tippa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Eddie has been horrible this year. Didn’t kick a goal against us or Richomond. Has only kicked goals against st kilda.

Orazio is the most dangerous. Josh green no threat. Then there is Tippa.
I can see Tippa doing a defensive job on Murray.

I agree.

Our most complete performance in years - let them at it again.

I'm thinking no change. But we might see Adams in for Crocker.

It'll be interesting to see who Sidebottom goes to. I think Heppell sits too far off the back of the contest for us to waste Sidebottom on but he's dangerous nonetheless. He'll sit there racking up possessions (probably often dubiously counted as contested possessions) and working with Zaharakis and McGrath in handball chains until one moves it forward.

I'd actually like to bring Maynard up in stints to play on Heppell, if not for the duration of the game. Maynard might struggle fitness wise but should worry Heppell with his aggression to the contest and ferocious tackling. Heppell in my opinion is brilliant in space when they're 6 goals in front. You bring that back to a close, hard contest and have someone hang off him, he will end up with a higher disposal count than his metres gained count.

Another concern is McDonald--Tippungwuti. He'll kill us when he finds space. Not sure how to counter that. I'd probably put Crisp five metres behind him when he floats forward. Should be able to cover him in the air but the key will be curtailing his run once the pill hits the deck. If Crisp stays goal side, we might have hope in holding up the play.

And lastly Fantasia. 9 goals in his last two outings against us. Well, against Maynard. I'd hope Maynard is seething and desperate for another crack but should we send Maynard to the Midfield, Murray is our man.

Daniher is always a worry too but he's going to kick goals. We need to stifle their ball movement so he doesn't have it put where he likes it.
Murray on Tippungwuti.

There is a lot of concern about the match ups for the tall forwards. For me it's going to be about how we control the ball from the middle and the pressure we put on their ball movement. If we do that well like what we have done the last two weeks our defenders will get the job done. If we let them get clean ball we will get exposed. For example, I think Treloar's ability to apply the same tackling pressure (10 tackles last week) or Sidebottom or Pendlebury's job of limiting Heppell will be more important than the individual defensive match-ups.

If we apply the same pressure on Essendon like we did against Adelaide we will win. If we play like we did against hawthorn then we are in for a long day.

Not so sure, they'll look at the opposition and see that the midfield we fielded on Friday maybe better suited to the pacey bombers. They may force him through the two's to earn it first.
I agree he won't play against the Bummers, but I think he'll come in for Richmond. No 2s action for Taylor

We have to control their midfield, we do that and there drive and pace will be nullified. It’s there pace that concerns me. Make it a hard contest, and they struggle. Make it a fast flowing game from the start, the more it suits the bummers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back