Review Flying High II (30th anniversary book)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
So, apparently there's a book that's just been released (has it yet?) that I never knew existed called Flying High II (not to be confused with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_II:_The_Sequel).

What it is, apparently, is an update (I guess) to the 25 year anniversary book Flying High. But with less pages? 208 pages it seems. Info is here:

https://www.wceteamstore.com.au/flying-high-2-book

The 25 year book is 224 pages, so they've managed to cram 5 more years into 16 less pages. :p Anyways, anyone got a copy and can outline the content? I thought the 25 year book was incredibly average. Compare it to the 10 year anniversary book "Soaring" and it was pitiful. Soaring is a fantastic chronicle of the first decade and I'd love for the club to actually pull it's finger out and do a much bigger, highly chronicled publication of the club's history, rather than put out sub standard fare (and for $40, if it's anything like Flying High it's at least $20 overpriced).

So, anyone got a copy and want to share what's in the book? I'm not expecting a whole lot.

Last edited:
I didn't bother with Flying High - it struck me as a collection of 'Eagle Eye' (or whatever it is these days) puff pieces about how great all the players are.

You are right though - Soaring is a great book, written by a proper journalist.

Probably safe to wait until 50 years before doing another one unless it's done right.

I have it. Hurn, Glendinning and Stocks were at the club store this afternoon for a book signing, so I wandered down after work for that.

Have yet to read it though.

The first Flying High was a bit rubbish (had factual errors too) while Soaring was brilliant. I'm a sucker for books about the Eagles (the club and players) so I had to buy this new one.

I have it. Hurn, Glendinning and Stocks were at the club store this afternoon for a book signing, so I wandered down after work for that.

The first Flying High was a bit rubbish (had factual errors too) while Soaring was brilliant. I'm a sucker for books about the Eagles (the club and players) so I had to buy this new one.
*, factual errors about your own club is shithouse. Example?

Had a chance to read it yet? Wouldn't mind a review/comparison to the first Flying High (also, urgh why do they name these books the same as Leslie Nielsen's Airplane comedies?? lol)

Went into the team store and checked it out. I'm horrified that it's not hardcover. Such a cheap out by the club. For a 30th anniversary book too. Pretty disappointing.

Had a flick through. It's bigger in dimension than Flying High and looks like it's like a page or two on each year. So a bit better than FH. But as a keepsake it's very disappointing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back