FLYING

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not scared of crashing, I just hate feeling trapped on the plane. I had an anxiety attack on the flight back from Hawaii. I know I have to fly in order to have holidays so I just suck it up but I still hate it.
Do you feel similarly on a long bus or train?

I guess I'm lucky that I've always been fine with flying. I don't like planes though.

Anyone like airports? I love it when I have a 4 or 5 hour wait in an airport for my next flight. Airports are like mini-universes and it feels like time is standing still for a bit.
I love people watching. Airports are a great spot for that.

Anyone scared of flying?

I used to love it. I still like airports, I still like the feel, the excitement of looking over a brand new city is like poetry. But I had a bad experience on a flight to Bali when the Northern Territory had its worst wet weather for a decade or so and Uluru was like a rainfall... the trip was... the cabin went a bit weird, lights on the wings went red, I said to the guy next to me 'do you feel weird?' and he said 'a bit yeah' and I honestly felt I was about to die... everything about it just felt like a last moment.

Since then have constantly shat myself. Once had a tiny flight from New York to Milwaukee and we kept circling and the air pockets were crazy, thought that was another one.

Like the Marr book says, you learn a fearing of flying from other people...

Can't stand it. Any turbulence sees me clutching to the arms of my seat with white knuckles.

I guess I'm lucky that I've always been fine with flying. I don't like planes though.

Anyone like airports? I love it when I have a 4 or 5 hour wait in an airport for my next flight. Airports are like mini-universes and it feels like time is standing still for a bit.

Depends on the airport and the context. If I've flown from Perth to UAE overnight or to KL/HK etc. then the last thing I want to do is hang around for another 4-5 hours. I just want to get in and out with a minimum of fuss. I usually just end up eating and buying s**t if I am stuck in airports.

My pet hate from airlines/airports is double up security screening. You go through security in Australia, then when you land the first thing you do is go through security again - just to stay in the terminal without passing customs or immigration. I didn't have a bomb in Perth, do you think I MacGyvered one on my tray table during the flight? And even then if you buy a drink/fill up a water bottle they make you tip it out before boarding. Get farked.

I'm not scared of crashing, I just hate feeling trapped on the plane. I had an anxiety attack on the flight back from Hawaii. I know I have to fly in order to have holidays so I just suck it up but I still hate it.

From my experience practice makes perfect. I used to hate flying but having done it 50 or 100 times I've got more used to it. I don't like it and probably never will but I don't feel anxious like I used to. If you fly with a baby/toddler you might end up focusing on the kid and not thinking about

Just on the A380, what are peoples experiences with it compared to other planes? Im flying return to Aus on the A380 in a few weeks and I really struggle on long flights, Im lucky to get 15 minute pockets of sleep. But apparently that plane has just a little bit more space in economy and inches to me can go a long way towards better comfort.

I've flown Syd-LA return on the A380. Seemed a bit more spacious than the other long haul flights I've been on (presumably 767/777) and it was brand new. As an analogy I'd say it was like going to a new cinema compared to one that's 5-10 years old. Nicer, but still economy. You would never choose A380 economy over business on an older plane doing the same route. What I liked was the little (alcohol free) bar thing at the back where you can go and get yourself one of those little 250mL cans of soft drink or some snacks etc. I booked seat 71D (there is no 70D) for one of the flights and that was mint. A must for anyone tall.

I love airports. Getting there, whether it's dropped off or in an uber or something, hanging around. I'm a lame arse and get to things early but I love the ambience of airports... people coming, people going, farewells, hellos, wondering what people are up to. I once had 10 hours at LAX and then about eight at Auckland with literally 10 dollars in my account which I spent on a pint of Stella in LA. Somehow got through it and in retrospect really enjoyed it. I love the idea of coming and going and even small stuff like seeing people's airport outfits.

I'd love to be in a band and always coming and going in airports but flying just scares me now. I look at the maps or height and start thinking 'wait, isn't it 30,000 feet... why are we 40,000 up?!' and it's pretty bad. I like airline food as well though. Just need to enjoy flying again and you know, I'm done.

I'm a s**t plane sleeper so am consequently often awake when half the plane is asleep. Upside of this is extra food. Syd-LA is 15 hours or something stupid so the hosties were doing plenty of rounds. I reckon I ate about 4 or 5 little pizza pocket things simply because I was the only one up in my section and had nothing better to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flown to /via Singapore many times over the last few years but have avoided Tiger like the plague due to friends' bad experiences

I have only flown Jetstar once, and was delayed by 10 hours - never flown by them again
I also avoid Domestic Tiger (again, due to others' bad experiences)

I almost always fly Qantas (or very occasionally, Virgin) domestically , and have never had a problem

For international flights, I stick to full-fare airlines
The one exception's Scoot (got to love the on-air wifi)
Never had a problem with the above

As for Melb-LA long-haul- I flew Business Class each way . It was definitely worth it! (the flat bed meant that we got plenty of sleep, and could hit the ground running after landing instead of being jetlagged /exhausted from the trip)

I can't sleep on planes, cheers anxiety. Didn't even sleep a wink the whole way from Melbourne to NYC and back wahhhh
i cant sleep on planes but more to do with the sitting up and getting disturbed all the time factor

i cant sleep on planes but more to do with the sitting up and getting disturbed all the time factor
Yep that's me too. We managed to get bulkhead seats for Nice to Miami and it was great with all the legroom, but the toilets are right in front of you and those things are a revolving door, with people often leaving the door open. Campaigners!!! Im going to try and talk ourselves in to an upgrade on our next flight,

I love airports. Getting there, whether it's dropped off or in an uber or something, hanging around. I'm a lame arse and get to things early but I love the ambience of airports... people coming, people going, farewells, hellos, wondering what people are up to. I once had 10 hours at LAX and then about eight at Auckland with literally 10 dollars in my account which I spent on a pint of Stella in LA. Somehow got through it and in retrospect really enjoyed it. I love the idea of coming and going and even small stuff like seeing people's airport outfits.

I'd love to be in a band and always coming and going in airports but flying just scares me now. I look at the maps or height and start thinking 'wait, isn't it 30,000 feet... why are we 40,000 up?!' and it's pretty bad. I like airline food as well though. Just need to enjoy flying again and you know, I'm done.

I used to love airports for all the same reasons, especially pre Sept 11. These days it's just such a chore and being cattled all around on a 27 hour, 2 connection flight is frustrating to me... with all the security checks and lines. But I should be thankful, what took weeks or even months to do 5 or 6 decades ago now takes 24 hours.

if i'm sitting business class then I expect no young children, unless they'll be quiet.

cattle class, you just close your eyes and hope for the flight to be over as soon as possible

My last trip from Perth to Melbourne was on the Red Eye with Virgin in business class. I've got the bed down and had about half an hours sleep when I was woken by utensils banging their cutlery on their crockery at 1:30am. FFS, are you really that hungry that you've got to eat at that time? Go the * to sleep.

We were considering business class for our flight to Japan but it's probably a bit s**t of us to do it with a toddler :(
Only real consideration I’d put in; if said toddler is old enough to have his own his seat, the greater distance between the seats on the newer planes could possibly be upsetting for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back