Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, he's great value. Elite athletically both in agility and endurance. Quite quick and can kick. Just needs to find more of it as he's played as a lockdown defender thus far. Has plenty of scope.
Looks like it. Ramsay's lack of one-on-one defending skills hurt him.

Rama can play
Or could
Since the knee , no confidence , once he made a mistake , you could count on heaps more
Shame showed a bit early

What error? he's done nothing before this year and at his best is averaging 14 disposals, we have a slew of defenders smashing that already

He's not quick, he's not tall and he doesn't get enough of the ball, we already have our fill of those types
If the crows played kick to kick amongst their defenders like we do, he'd get similar stats to our defenders and he is far better defensively than any of our defenders.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
Yep, he's great value. Elite athletically both in agility and endurance. Quite quick and can kick. Just needs to find more of it as he's played as a lockdown defender thus far. Has plenty of scope.

Sounds promising. Although the clips I saw of him didn’t seem to show him being a very good kick.

Can’t wait to see these kids over the next 12 months.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Interesting that Hine states that Appleby has elite endurance with the scope to play run with roles.

So not only could he play a lockdown defender he may also have the ability to tag.

I know we’ve gone away from tagging somewhat but Greenwood is the only one with those traits on our list. Nice to possibly add another.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that Hine states that Appleby has elite endurance with the scope to play run with roles.

So not only could he play a lockdown defender he may also have the ability to tag.

I know we’ve gone away from tagging somewhat but Greenwood is the only one with those traits on our list. Nice to possibly add another.

Pies have struggled for a long time with defending small forwards, he might be the player we have been looking for.

The rookie draft has always been the best for plucking out defenders and mids, happy take the chance on two defenders.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Pies have struggled for a long time with defending small forwards, he might be the player we have been looking for.

The rookie draft has always been the best for plucking out defenders and mids, happy take the chance on two defenders.

Yeah haven’t really had a decent one since Tooves; who funnily enough started on our rookie list too.

Toovey mark 2 with a better kick would be sweet.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
20m sprint time (in post 3) of 3.06 suggests he's not that quick. Might be his agility and reading of play (going off comments this thread) that make him appear quicker than his pure leg speed
20 mtr sprint times don't measure overall speed, just explosive speed and Usain Bolt was often 2 or 3 metres off the leaders over 20, and i wouldn't call him slow.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
*ahem*

You're welcome ;)

Also told you guys we'd pick him :p
Yes you did.

Do you still have your details on him, I'm trying to find it.

I thought of you the minute Sir Humphrey got named (yes Minister, Sir Humphrey Appelby) today.
Remembered you said his name.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Errol.. I like it. But I have a feeling..

He’ll be apples
Surely

Humphrey?

Or Sir Humphrey?

Then again, genius writing and a brilliant rapier wit of Sir Himphrey would be lost on the younger folk.
The greatest tv political series ever!

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rama can play
Or could
Since the knee , no confidence , once he made a mistake , you could count on heaps more
Shame showed a bit early
Ramsay is the classic example of a really fine footballer, and all of a sudden the career is all over.
Ramsay not elite or A grade, but might fine.
But once setbacks like injuries occurred his AFL level career was cut short.

Salient lesson, it won't last forever, make the most of it.

Good Degoe

4 Flags in a row, imagine that
Nov 25, 2017
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the crows played kick to kick amongst their defenders like we do, he'd get similar stats to our defenders and he is far better defensively than any of our defenders.
Or maybe he just can't get the frickin ball, anyway he's not a need... speed, outside run, transition or a key position and he aint any of those

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

I reckon Crisp and Adams are tagging options if we wanted to go there. Crisp too valuable now off the half back though. Adams on the other hand is an intriguing option that we haven't really tried.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like we have at least 35 players all set to play round 1

:D

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

I reckon Crisp and Adams are tagging options if we wanted to go there. Crisp too valuable now off the half back though. Adams on the other hand is an intriguing option that we haven't really tried.

The other option I forgot is Maynard. And with his increased endurance that might be a serious option. Makes me think, is Maynard better in a run-with-role, or off a wing?

But I like it theres other positional scope for Appleby. Though personally I hope he's our next Possum!

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Can't complain. Sure he is a bit raw and has some flaws but that is why he is a rookie, we will attempt to develop him.

We have been crying out for a lock down defender who can take the small forwards or the leading mid sized types and this kid fits the bill. A good pick now it is up to him to work on his flaws and become an AFL player. Good luck to him.

Back