Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its very harsh to be calling out Appleby after that game.
It was not the game for defenders. So many of the goals were coming from quick clearances and our midfield weren't doing a whole lot of getting back to stop our defence getting outmanned. It also would've helped if Bucks sent a loose man into defence at any stage of the game. (Particularly when we were in the lead and Brissy got a quick run on).
No back 6 would do well in those conditions.

He's 2 games into his career and looks ok to me.

I reckon he'll get around 5-8 games this year, and a few more than that next year, and over that time we'll get a fair view of where he's at. I'm happy for him to get those opportunities right now.
Remember what the extra man back did for us last year. Our defensive group has to stand up as 6 on 6. I agree that this does expose them, and no one player in the group is responsible for Brisbane scoring a lot. Certainly not Appleby. With only 6 back, quick clearances really apply the pressure, and Brisbane got a lot of quick clearances. Midfielders can't get there in these circumstances either. If we want our team to attack, and I certainly do, then we have to accept that the defenders will really have to work, and that at times they will be beaten. That means that each contest has to be judged on its merits, and blame given only when someone does the wrong thing when a better option was realistically available.
The loose man back should be a later stage resort, because it does contain an admission that the opposition has the upper hand. Continuing to attack gave us the points on Sunday.

Those having a go at Appleby have no clue about football.
Should all just * off and follow soccer or some other limp dick sport.

Continues to impress me with what he's delivering. Add that he continues to show different aspects to his game. Could see him being omitted for a fit Maynard when he becomes available but he can go back to the VFL very satisfied with his senior performances and continue to work on his game.

Shame we weren't able to add Wellings to the list as well. Been equally impressive at VFL level.

Continues to impress me with what he's delivering. Add that he continues to show different aspects to his game. Could see him being omitted for a fit Maynard when he becomes available but he can go back to the VFL very satisfied with his senior performances and continue to work on his game.

Shame we weren't able to add Wellings to the list as well. Been equally impressive at VFL level.
You know it may just be that Appleby stays and its Murray who gets omitted.

It might, but I hope not. I think Murray is still going OK defensively and he offers something unique to the side. Appleby is very vanilla, which isn’t a bad thing, but we have enough of that as it is.

It might, but I hope not. I think Murray is still going OK defensively and he offers something unique to the side. Appleby is very vanilla, which isn’t a bad thing, but we have enough of that as it is.
Sorry last thing I think he is is vanilla. Hard at it spoiling crowding etc
I must be seeing a different 4 game 19 year old rookie selected player

Sorry last thing I think he is is vanilla. Hard at it spoiling crowding etc
I must be seeing a different 4 game 19 year old rookie selected player

I don’t mean vanilla as a negative, and what you described is what I consider as central traits of a ‘vanilla’ defender. Essentially I just don’t think he provides a point of difference.

I don’t mean vanilla as a negative, and what you described is what I consider as central traits of a ‘vanilla’ defender. Essentially I just don’t think he provides a point of difference.
Ok my interpretation must be different lets revisit when has 30 plus games

Doing very well, very glad we have him on the list.

Could be, but I think I think it'll be Appleby first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could be right. I wouldn't do it though, I could be wrong, but I suspect that opposition teams are putting a fair bit of work into stopping Murray's run and if he gets dropped - that work goes into stopping Crisp's run.

I've liked what he has offered defensively. But since the Richmond game his field kicking has been poor under pressure. He needs to work on his composure and skill execution a bit. Which I hope will come with experience. Still I think he's been an excellent addition.

Holds his spot until Maynard is ready.

Maynard's getting to the point where his return might be via the VFL. Apparently won't be back this week.

You could be right. I wouldn't do it though, I could be wrong, but I suspect that opposition teams are putting a fair bit of work into stopping Murray's run and if he gets dropped - that work goes into stopping Crisp's run.
This is a great point. Having options stretches opposition teams - if they're trying to curb Murray's influence, then this inevitably makes it much harder to contain other running defenders if they're playing far enough apart. So while it might seem that Murray isn't affecting games as we'd like, as long as he's doing the team thing other guys will get the opportunities to do the more eye-catching runs and rebounds. That's good for us. Murray's young and shown he has talent - with good coaching and dedication, he'll get better at breaking through opposition tactics i think.

Look... I don’t wanna say I’m a genius, but I’m the biggest genius the world has ever seen. I’m also the most modest.

But seriously, I’m quite glad this guy is having a real crack, his disposal seems to be improving each game as well, I was actually quite impressed with some of his attacking kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back