Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t really predict that he’d be played as a key defender. Wouldn’t mind seeing him again in the role he actually plays when playing football.

I like Appleby, I continue to think he's a decent prospect, but he shouldn't have been out there today. He's had an interrupted season, has yet to find form this year at VFL, and today was thrown in against a good side but without a fair match-up.

Terrible mistake.

People saying it was merely a bad match up are misrepresenting the truth. Some of us turned on attentions on him quite closely once we realised how bad he was and it was even at ground level, he got caught many times, had a 2003 GF Rhyme Shaw moment, every kick he got was smothered or a turnover. Net gain of about 7 metres for the game. Not to mention getting marked against on every single occasion and not offering so much as 1 spoil. It was a low-light package for the ages. He was terrible. Not AFL standard.

People saying it was merely a bad match up are misrepresenting the truth. Some of us turned on attentions on him quite closely once we realised how bad he was and it was even at ground level, he got caught many times, had a 2003 GF Rhyme Shaw moment, every kick he got was smothered or a turnover. Net gain of about 7 metres for the game. Not to mention getting marked against on every single occasion and not offering so much as 1 spoil. It was a low-light package for the ages. He was terrible. Not AFL standard.

It was an absolute shocker. And it wasn't just height. Yeah his opponents were too tall for him, but for a close checking defender to not even be making body contact in a marking contest?

I didn't see the Williamstown match, however some of his disposals weren't VFL standard the week before against Werribee. Everyone has a bad kick now and then, but he was under minimal pressure. It was a bizarre selection.

Last edited:
Everyone was harsh on Apples last night, and l myself was one, but the poor bloke was really put into a game where he had no real matchup. To come in against a GWS tall forward line, was a ridiculous selection.
If l was in the after match presser, my first question would have been, why select such a small backline, and where is Matty Scharenberg!!

Last edited:
I like Appleby, I continue to think he's a decent prospect, but he shouldn't have been out there today. He's had an interrupted season, has yet to find form this year at VFL, and today was thrown in against a good side but without a fair match-up.

Terrible mistake.

I hope Bucks comes out during the week and admits he got it wrong at the selection table. Don't forget also, our workrate up the ground, in the first 20 mins of the opening quarter was inept and non existent, so the backline had no chance of stopping their forwards.

Everyone was harsh on Apples last night, and l myself was one, but the poor bloke was really put into a game where he had no real matchup. To come im against a GWS tall forward line, was a ridiculous selection.
If l was in the after match presser, my first question would have been, why select such a small backline, and where is Matty Scharenberg!!

Where is Scharenberg?....injured....he's always injured.

Reminiscent of Peter Yagmoor and his disastrous debut in 2012.

Except for Apples it wasn’t his debut.

Can’t help but feel for the kid, to bear the brunt of our decimated defence. I hope he gets his confidence back. That was awful for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminiscent of Peter Yagmoor and his disastrous debut in 2012.

Except for Apples it wasn’t his debut.

Can’t help but feel for the kid, to bear the brunt of our decimated defence. I hope he gets his confidence back. That was awful for him.
Brett Gloury on Paul Salmon

Made me consider getting the feather duster and dusting the cobwebs off the old diadoras at age 38 and 20 kegs overweight, and jogging out there in the division 4 ammo reserves and nominating for the rookie draft. If this guy can play for Collingwood, anyone can. It's not over.

I often agree with you and in this case, yes I still agree with you.

Makes no logical sense to me either to target a bloke like Appleby.. why? Easy to make the transition from midfielder/forward to defender.. Langdon played on a wing. Howe played forward and wing. Aish played midfield.. and they've all performed well.. with added skill.. so why the * would you put this bloke on a list.

Unless you're an outstanding defender in the under 18 comp.. wouldn't waste a pick on any defender.. particularly one who has limited skills.

It does my head in.

Makes no logical sense to me either to target a bloke like Appleby.. why? Easy to make the transition from midfielder to defender.. so why the fu** would you put this bloke on a list.

Unless you're an outstanding defender in the under 18 comp.. wouldn't waste a pick on any defender.. particularly one who has limited skills.

It does my head in.

His uncle is a PGA tour golfer and he can crush a golf ball 300 yards... it's hybrid athletes gone too far.

The height disparity didn't force him to kick into the man on the mark, or kick in board and turn it over, or miss easy targets by foot under no pressure.

Made me consider getting the feather duster and dusting the cobwebs off the old diadoras at age 38 and 20 kegs overweight, and jogging out there in the division 4 ammo reserves and nominating for the rookie draft. If this guy can play for Collingwood, anyone can. It's not over.

Come on, who are we kidding here? :D

You can argue that our best back 6 well 5 of em are ex mids/forwards.. Moore Langdon crisp aish howe.. so why the f would you throw away a rookie pick on and out and out defender with huge deficiencies in his game..

Use those picks on players like Cameron from WC.. and keep transforming mids/forwards into defenders if and when due.

Appleby's selection is up there with Bradbury winning gold at the Olympics.. only way to explain it. His game agst Bris up there last yr.. where he single handedly almost cost us the game was bad. His performance last night was the stuff of legend. When he wasn't getting drilled by their forwards.. he was in absolute no mans land. It was quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen anyone play.

Appleby's selection is up there with Bradbury winning gold at the Olympics.. only way to explain it. His game agst Bris up there last yr.. where he single handedly almost cost us the game was bad. His performance last night was the stuff of legend. When he wasn't getting drilled by their forwards.. he was in absolute no mans land. It was quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen anyone play.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back